Monday 4/16 Senate Law and Public Safety on Gun Bills

S.gif

c75c26c6-7c8e-45bd-acac-675f4e6d5007.jpg 

ROUND 2 IN TRENTON MONDAY:

SENATE COMMITTEE HEARINGS

ON ANTI-GUN BILL PACKAGE 

Please Contact Senate Committee Members ASAP

Please Attend the Committee Hearing Monday

On Monday, April 16, the NJ Senate Law and Public Safety Committee is scheduled to hold a hearing on the same package of 6 anti-gun bills that recently passed in the Assembly, plus one additional bill whose language has not yet been introduced in the Senate. This showdown in the Senate is the next major step that anti-gun lawmakers must complete to get their agenda closer to becoming law. It is important that gun owners be active and involved in this process.

The hearing is scheduled to begin at 10:30 a.m., and only gun bills are on the agenda. The location is Committee Room 4 on the first floor of the State House Annex (adjacent to 125 West State Street in Trenton). Room 4 is the largest committee room available, which means lawmakers are anticipating a large presence of both gun ban activists and gun owners - please plan on attending!

Please contact the members of the Senate Law and Public Safety Committee and urge them to oppose the package of 6 bills and instead pass legislation that targets gun criminals instead of gun rights; protects our schools by keeping intruders out and allowing an attack-in-progress to be immediately stopped on site; and meaningfully addresses mental health concerns while still preserving due process.

Here are the bills scheduled to be considered:

S102 (Magazine Ban / Gun Ban) Criminalizes possession of magazines that can hold more than ten rounds of ammunition. Turns 1 million law-abiding citizens into criminals with the stroke of a pen. No grandfathering of existing magazines. Unknown whether Assembly amendment exempting permanently blocked magazines will be adopted. Will be ignored by criminals and madmen. Makes no one safer. Interferes with ability of law-abiding citizens to defend themselves.

S2259 (No-Notice Suspension of Gun Rights) Unconstitutional suspension of Second Amendment rights and seizure of firearms with no due process in advance, based on unchallenged allegations. Fails to penalize those who abuse the process and fabricate allegations. Creates a slow, cumbersome run-into-court process not suitable for true emergencies, and potentially interferes with the currently-existing process to deal with true emergencies, which requires no court intervention and has already been established as constitutional.

S160 (Allows Suspension of Gun Rights by Unaccountable "Health Professionals"). Authorizes firearms seizure and suspension of Second Amendment rights when mental health "professionals" think someone poses risk. Allows marriage counselors, social workers and nurses to cause suspension of rights. Allows forfeiture of firearms without compensation to owner. Creates a slow, cumbersome, run-into-court process not suitable for true emergencies, and potentially interferes with the currently-existing process to deal with true emergencies, which requires no court intervention and has already been established as constitutional.

S2376 (Kills Self-Defense) - Cements NJ's unconstitutional "justifiable need" carry permit standard into statute to prevent most law-abiding citizens from ever exercising the right to self-defense with a firearm outside the home. No one would be eligible for a NJ carry permit unless they had previously been attacked or received specific verifiable threats.

S2245 (Bans Ammunition That is Already Federally Banned). Bans ammunition that is already banned under federal law. Completely redundant with pre-existing law, makes no one safer, criminals will ignore, changes nothing -- a complete waste of legislative resources. Squanders an opportunity to severely punish the criminal misuse of ALL ammunition, not just one class of ammunition.

S2374 (Background Checks on Sales That Already Require Background Checks) Mandates background checks on private sales of firearms that already require background checks under state law. Redundant with existing law, makes no one safer, criminals will ignore, changes nothing - a complete waste of legislative resources.

S2465 (Criminalizes purchase of components to unlawfully manufacture untraceable firearms) Senate text not yet introduced.

Please forward this email to every gun owner you know, and if you don't already receive alerts from ANJRPC, please subscribe to our free email alerts for the latest Second Amendment breaking news and action alerts.

About ANJRPC: The Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs is the official New Jersey affiliate of the NRA, and is New Jersey's oldest, largest, and most effective Second Amendment advocacy organization.

<click here for the online version of this alert>

The Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs 

is the official NRA state affiliate in the Garden State 

7efb4231-7d43-466c-9b85-b352e3da0047.jpg

83c81f2c-219e-4624-8571-96add1c45ba8.jpg

Like us on Facebook 

S.gif

Following  are the Senators on the Committee:

Law and Public Safety   (Group3) 
Standing Reference 
View Schedule 
Greenstein, Linda R. - Chair    View Votes 
Diegnan, Patrick J. - Vice-Chair    View Votes 
Bateman, Christopher    View Votes 
Cryan, Joseph P.    View Votes 
O'Scanlon, Declan J.    View Votes 
Sacco, Nicholas J.    View Votes 

I've reached out to Kip Bateman and Declan O'Scanlon and you should too - emails are:  [email protected] and [email protected]

Greenstein is of 'confiscate, confiscate, confiscate' fame.  The two above are the only Republicans