Ray Ray

Anti 2A landlord, what to do?

Okay, my coworker was going to apply for his firearms identification card BUT his landlord told him that he does not want firearms in his building.  What are the legalities of this?  

1 hour ago, W2MC said:

Its not up to the landlord.....

That's not entirely true.  If it's owner occupied, then the landlord has more say but it has to be in the lease.  If not owner occupied, like a single family house, a quadplex or an apartment complex, then the landlord can go pound sand.

• Like 3

1. Unless in lease, buy guns. If in lease, still buy guns. Then buy more.

2. Pay rent with checks with pro-2A images as background.

3. Offer to host 2A/NRA BBQ or other events at his place.

4. ...?

5. Profit!*

*profit may be from no longer needing to pay rent after being evicted.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, W2MC said:

A quick google would reveal that this has been discussed before; as well as a wealth of information on the topic....

Of course, one would think a SUPER MOD would know this kind of stuff......   ;)

• Like 1

You know how this is going to go. He can win this fight and get his FID. Buy whatever guns he wants to. But next thing you know, he's gonna get a visit. Maybe he "pointed it at someone" or another tenant "feels unsafe because they hear gun noises" or god knows what else who ever else decides to make up to make his life a living hell. Maybe a call to the local PD about how they saw a AK-15 with extended high capacity 5,000 round clip. You wanna see real, omnipotent, godlike power, deal with local officials in a suburban town.

Move out IMO

The main issue is that the landlord needs to put it in the lease. If he does, he's on the hook for increased liability for the occupants security. Most of the large complexes deal with this by putting rules on the storage of flammable products and explosives that make it seem like ammunition would be covered without actually covering ammunition. 

Two units and above are covered under DCA (Dept of Comunity Affairs). That’s where the crap about storing haz-mats comes in. If you can’t do a lawyer review on the he lease then that’s where you start with the calls for the proper department to ask whether or not he can do this. 

In my opinion, should you find out he can’t, and you move in the word will be out. Every punk with a pry bar or every liberal in the building will know. You’ll be subject to getting burgled while at work or spat on by Hippocrates. Find somewhere else. If it only for his card he has plenty of time to look around. Especially if he deals with the Leo dept I do. 

9 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Seriously! The phrase "loose lips sink ships" comes to mind. Why open up a can of worms? :facepalm:

People are dum. How many times has stuff been posted on here asking legal questions?  Seems to be younger people for the most part. Bad spelling and grammar, sharing too much information. Relying on the internet and media for information. 

• Like 1

I cant see this being legal If he's publicly renting apartments. Maybe if he was renting rooms possibly.

Did i read this right that he asked the landlord about getting a firearm?

Did he also ask if he can vote?

15 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Just more of the demonization of legal gun owners that's been ratcheting up lately... and it's REALLY ticking me off. :angry:

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned

• Like 1

14 hours ago, raz-0 said:

The main issue is that the landlord needs to put it in the lease. If he does, he's on the hook for increased liability for the occupants security. Most of the large complexes deal with this by putting rules on the storage of flammable products and explosives that make it seem like ammunition would be covered without actually covering ammunition. 

If that then worst case just dont keep ammo in the house... A gun is not explosive. When you say explosives would things like aerosol cans be explosive?

The issue with this kinda shit is people who are renting apartments hardly have the fund to hire a lawyer to go after the landlords...

9 hours ago, remixer said:

If that then worst case just dont keep ammo in the house... A gun is not explosive. When you say explosives would things like aerosol cans be explosive?

The issue with this kinda shit is people who are renting apartments hardly have the fund to hire a lawyer to go after the landlords...

Ammo isn't an explosive either. It's an orm-d consumer product, just like that aerosol that is not excluded in the lease. That's my point. 

And yeah fighting the lease won't win you a place to crash. The peril comes form the dude who gets injured by a mugger or assaulted on the property. An explicit exclusion now means they have yet one more thing to go after the landlord with. Which is why the big places with real lawyers that cost real money do their job right. You don't want to be liable for an ND or something on the property, you make it seem like they aren't allowed and say oops at trial or that you believe you banned the storage of ammo with that language. Someone gets a home invasion from the local gang bangers, you say ammo is ORM-D and not explicitly prohibited unlike the gel candles specifically mentioned in the lease. You don't know why they thought it was prohibited. 

On 4/10/2018 at 0:17 PM, Malice4you said:

1. Unless in lease, buy guns. If in lease, still buy guns. Then buy more.

2. Pay rent with checks with pro-2A images as background.

3. Offer to host 2A/NRA BBQ or other events at his place.

4. ...?

5. Profit!*

*profit may be from no longer needing to pay rent after being evicted.

I like the cut of your jib, sir!

• Like 1