blksheep

Formal Instruction?

Ive had 1 AR and 1 AK class last year.

My goal this year is to take a long range precision class. I also have my eye on a few classes from S&T ( carbine, pistol, low light) as well since they are low cost and pretty close drive for me

• Like 1

I became a Shootist by engaging in Private Club's League Shoots.  All 3 platforms PLUS Black Powder.  Give me a gun & tell me where the zero is.  When I was a kid I THOUGHT I knew how to shoot, then I LEARNED FROM EXPERTS FOR JUST THE COST OF AMMO & LEAGUE FEES.  I never rented a gun, merely "borrowed" friends' & watched them perform with it.

My NRA ratings were earned thru instruction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blksheep said:

Sometimes better to be the student...

Shit yes. I spend so much time teaching, I never get to lear anything if I didn’t pay to go to class.

You going to the Lights Sights and Lasers workshop on 4/18? Hosted by Khyber Tactical.

It’s free, but it’s pretty far for you.

5 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

@shooter28 Joe and S&T is excellent. I’ve already gone to one of his classes this year (probably my 10th class with Joe). I learn something every time.

Yea I really enjoyed the AK class I took last year with him. Looking forward to taking more with him this year. Any idea which ones you'll be doing?

1 minute ago, High Exposure said:

Shit yes. I spend so much time teaching, I never get to lear anything if I didn’t pay to go to class.

You going to the Lights Sights and Lasers workshop on 4/18? Hosted by Khyber Tactical.

It’s free, but it’s pretty far for you.

We are knee deep right now at work. We are going strong with classes till the end of May.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shooter28 said:

Yea I really enjoyed the AK class I took last year with him. Looking forward to taking more with him this year. Any idea which ones you'll be doing?

I want to get to Lowlight, Carbine 2, and at least one handgun course this year with Joe.

I have already taken S&T Carbine fundamentals (yes it is a basic class. I take at least one basic class every year. Makes me a better shooter - there is no advanced gunfighting - and a better instructor), EAG COC 2 day in St Augustine FL, and Northern Red’s 5 day Critical Incident Response class up in Totowa, NJ this year.

1 minute ago, High Exposure said:

I want to get to Lowlight, Carbine 2, and at least one handgun course this year with Joe.

I have already taken S&T Carbine fundamentals (yes it is a basic class. I take at least one basic class every year. Makes me a better shooter - there is no advanced gunfighting - and a better instructor), EAG COC 2 day in St Augustine FL, and Northern Red’s 5 day Critical Incident Response class up in Totowa, NJ this year.

Nice. I was looking at his Pistol 1 class in June, Battle Rifle in October and the Low Light class in November. Maybe I'll see you around! I want to take his Carbine 1 class but its the same weekend as Magpul's Precision rifle which I may be doing.

Jesus, how much does a 5 day course go for? Your job paying?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jerk alert:

"Instruction" is only recommended for those unfamiliar with firearms, tactics or mindset.

Having said that, I have received informal training with prior and current military.

Got a decent intro to small bore rifle as a kid, got an intro to handguns class as an adult. I have consumed a fair amount of training material, but not classes, for competitive shooting. 

Just now, checko said:

He's keeping track for Murphy.

Yeah, ya know?  If this FaceBook scandal is teaching us anything its to shutup about our personal business because we don't know what's happening to it. Blksheep may be fine but who else that may be looking at this is?

Yeah, ya know?  If this FaceBook scandal is teaching us anything its to shutup about our personal business because we don't know what's happening to it. Blksheep may be fine but who else that may be looking at this is?
"They" already know all about us.

This topic is fortuitous.  Can people recommend training that would be within a short (hour-ish) drive from northwest burlco area?   Other than an intro class I haven’t gone to much training. With my schedule I only get to the range a few times a year. While I can put holes in paper I don’t think I’m getting any better. Usually I go by myself so not much opportunity for feedback so I’m curious if a training class would be better for my limited time. 

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Tons of formal instruction:

Handgun

Shotgun

Carbine

Tactics

Even though I'm not LE (just a mild-mannered old guy), I can say the same. I've trained a lot with GFH, but also with RTSP, MDTS, Sig Sauer, S&T, and maybe a few others that escape me. I've done some F on F, and the more I learn, the more I realize how much there is to know!

I try to do at least 40 hours of training (classes, not practice) a year.  I'm taking a three day HG class with Costa at C1T next month, and doing three days at Sig in June. If anyone would like additional info about any of those places, feel free to PM me. 

Does watching @Ray Ray count?

I had formal intro rifle and handguns almost 30 years ago in Washington.

Im currently getting semi formal handgun bout once a month.

My wife jus did an intro carbine/ pistol class.

Id really like to get some instruction on clays next.

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

This topic is fortuitous.  Can people recommend training that would be within a short (hour-ish) drive from northwest burlco area?   Other than an intro class I haven’t gone to much training. With my schedule I only get to the range a few times a year. While I can put holes in paper I don’t think I’m getting any better. Usually I go by myself so not much opportunity for feedback so I’m curious if a training class would be better for my limited time. 

Joe Riedy at Sights and Triggers. I can’t reccomend him enough.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

Even though I'm not LE (just a mild-mannered old guy), I can say the same. I've trained a lot with GFH, but also with RTSP, MDTS, Sig Sauer, S&T, and maybe a few others that escape me. I've done some F on F, and the more I learn, the more I realize how much there is to know!

I try to do at least 40 hours of training (classes, not practice) a year.  I'm taking a three day HG class with Costa at C1T next month, and doing three days at Sig in June. If anyone would like additional info about any of those places, feel free to PM me. 

I was in that S&T class with you. I think @Alex V was there too.

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

Check out Redline Firearms Training. They are on FB.

2 hours ago, BobA said:

Why?

Love and encourage the "Why".  

Just curious to what has motivated gun owners to take a class or get some type of formal instruction.

I have welders and carpenters that ok with shitty welds or shitty cuts.  No motivation to learn how to do their job better.  

They aren't students of the craft...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, blksheep said:

Just curious to what has motivated gun owners to take a class or get some type of formal instruction.

I have welders and carpenters that ok with shitty welds or shitty cuts.  No motivation to learn how to do their job better.  

Then they are shitty Carpenter’s and welders. There is informal mastery of a craft. In the end the proof is always in the pudding.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, checko said:

Jesus, how much does a 5 day course go for? Your job paying?

Yeah, that was a work class. Northern Red has a training contract with the state via UASI through Fed DHS. I have no idea what that class would have cost, but I bet it was a lot. Hell, the class was all sims and they provided the ammo. I went through close to 500 rounds of Sims myself and there was ~30 guys in the class. $$$

18 minutes ago, blksheep said:

In my experience, the best instructors and the best practitioners are also prolific students.