blksheep

Formal Instruction?

56 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I would say that there is even one step further removed between a person that carries a gun for Self Defense and one that applies their skills to actively pursuing armed individuals when looked at from the context of competition.

I have no doubt that's true.  Sworn officers have a duty to pursue trouble, while the rest of us are free (and even encouraged) to run away from it, if at all possible. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 10:12 AM, High Exposure said:

They are not equal. The work that goes into them is not the same. Gun fighting is not competition shooting. Yes there is some overlap and some skills translate directly from one to another, but not all - and for good reason. 

I use the comps as practice, not competition. I’m not trying to win - I’m trying to work on a particular skill. (Don’t get me wrong, the A type in me wants my name to be at the top, but that’s not the driving force to participate in the competition) I simply try to do better at this comp than I did at the last one. I try not to alter my fundamentals to fit the game I am playing. Instead I try to reinforce my fundamentals to enhance the skills I need for my reality.

As for trainers - they are not all created equal. You have to vet your trainers. You have to tailor your practice and training to your end goal. You have to make sure your spending money and time on what gets you closer to your stated purpose.

We know for you its different cus its your job but I guess what i dont understand is for the everyday NJGF keyboard operator that is not even supposed to have a gun according to NJ (thats was a joke and it includes myself), is do they go to these courses to learn to shoot or for the tactics? Its a fact (If you already have the basics down) that there is nothing anyone can tell you that is magically going to tell you that will turn you into the best gunslinger in the world, that only comes from practicing. As far as the tactics side of it, well, whats the point? Everyone talks shit but the fact of the matter is if the swat team comes for you the only option is to come out with your hands up, no one on here is commando 1985 and no tranning class is going to turn you into that. My point is matches are WAYYY cheaper and will make you better at shooting. Zeke reminded me of another reason I use to talk about alot is you will meet some of the coolest people and make life long friends at matches. Theres not much seriousness about it (except for the safety rules) you will break balls and laugh all day. To me thats how I would rather spend a saturday or sunday morning, not trying to out puss face the creepy dude rocking a plate carrier next to me lol.

I must not understand either how drawing, putting sights on target (if needed) and making the gun go bang is any diffrent in either situation. This is what im saying that shooting is shooting, to me its only one thing and theres only one way to do it, faster and more accurate than anyone else. 

All serious questions 

Little side piece for any one whos listining. The reason I say making the gun go bang is cus when you first start out you need to do all the fundamental bull shit to hit the bulls eye but when you get good you can smack at the trigger like a cave man and hit the X every time, really really fast. that only comes with lots and lots of practice.