RichP

Scope choices for SPR'ish build

Having a really hard time finally deciding on a scope for my AR build. Purpose is for general range use, and occasional predator/medium-size game hunting. Range will be anything out to around 5-600 yards. I will pretty much never be using the reticle for ranging, so SFP vs FFP isn't a huge concern.

I think that i've narrowed it down to the following:

Nightforce NXS 2.5x10x42mm
Illuminated MOAR reticle
Weight:20oz
Lightweight, compact (12"), SFP

Nightforce NXS 3x15x50mm
Illuminated MOAR reticle
Weight:30oz
Heavy, long (14.7"), SFP

Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50mm
SCR MOA reticle
Weight:30oz
Heavy, compact (13.1"), FFP

Right now, the Steiner is in the lead...Anybody have other recommendations?

Leupold Mark AR Mod-1  You can get it in 4-12 or 6-18 sfp mil-dot reticle and has AO.  It's a fantastic scope. They go for about $550.  You don't need to spend a small fortune on good glass for an SPR.  If you were going to shoot out to 1000yds and beyond, that's a different class of scope.  For under a grand Leupold's VX3i ffp is pretty good value to

Well you certainly have good taste. I have the nxs 2.5-10, and it's the best scope I own. Glass is amazing, is virtually indestructible and is very light and compact. I've decided that the 3-15 nxs is my next scope strictly because of my experiences with the 2.5. to me moar reticle is the best there is. The weight isn't a concern because its all relative. 30oz is "heavy" compared to 20oz, but yet everyone raves about various vortex models that are 26oz with a 3rd of the magnification

I've been considering the Steiner as well, but 3 things make me hesitate. Not crazy about the reticle, not crazy about 34mm and if you research the forums there have been historical concerns regarding Steiner quality and tracking accuracy. I keep reading that the issues have long been resolved and maybe they have, but you'll find no such concerns ever regarding Nightforce. It's also a few $$ more than the nightforce, and the NF has better eye relief

All that said, I hope you get the Steiner lol. I'd love to have you come back and we can compare notes (I'll have the NF by mid summer). There's ALWAYS a need for a new scope ;)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Different circumstances but I just purchased a LNIB NightForce NXS 8-32 MOAR.  I'll be shooting FT/R with it hence the insanely high mag.

Great glass and the reticle is more than I'll be needing most days.  My buddy has the same scope and it's why I went with it.  I spent a few rounds behind his rifle and came away impressed by the scope.  

As to NF not having too many QC complaints @Indianajonze, that depends on the model and where you look.  There is a certain, very well respected 'smith that has been quite vocal about tracking issues with the NF Competition scope line.  He's someone who's opinion I trust given a conversation I've had with him and his abilities.  He mentioned that he never ran into such a problem with the NXS line-up which was another feather in the NF NXS cap when making my decision.  

Good luck to the OP.

On 4/12/2018 at 2:04 PM, Indianajonze said:

Well you certainly have good taste. I have the nxs 2.5-10, and it's the best scope I own. Glass is amazing, is virtually indestructible and is very light and compact. I've decided that the 3-15 nxs is my next scope strictly because of my experiences with the 2.5. to me moar reticle is the best there is. The weight isn't a concern because its all relative. 30oz is "heavy" compared to 20oz, but yet everyone raves about various vortex models that are 26oz with a 3rd of the magnification

I've been considering the Steiner as well, but 3 things make me hesitate. Not crazy about the reticle, not crazy about 34mm and if you research the forums there have been historical concerns regarding Steiner quality and tracking accuracy. I keep reading that the issues have long been resolved and maybe they have, but you'll find no such concerns ever regarding Nightforce. It's also a few $$ more than the nightforce, and the NF has better eye relief

All that said, I hope you get the Steiner lol. I'd love to have you come back and we can compare notes (I'll have the NF by mid summer). There's ALWAYS a need for a new scope ;)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

The tracking complaints in regard to Steiner are for the cheaper American made T series models. The German made M's have no such issues but they cost more. I have the Military 5-25 and a 4-16 and never had a tracking issue. 

I vote for the Nightforce. I have a 2.5-10x32 and love it. Light weight, awesome glass and it's bomb proof. If I was to buy another Steiner it will only be the Military line, not the tactical line. The problem with the M's is that they are huge and heavy. The NF 2.5-10 is a perfect SPR scope. The x24s were actually one of the scopes issued on Mk12s along with Leupold 2-8 and 3.5-10 Mark4s.