Sign in to follow this  
Mrs. Peel

S&W Victory - New "Target" Model

Hmmm.... seems like S&W is really trying to squeeze Ruger at the more competitive price points...? I'm guessing this new Victory model might appeal to the hobbyist who fancies himself/herself a bulls eye shooter, but is unwilling to plunk down nearly 3x as much moolah for a Model 41.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/04/smith-wesson-launches-sw22-victory-target-model-pistol/#axzz5Ca1KSuoL

It'll probably do ok; even on the base model Victory, the trigger is amazing--as good as found on guns going for 2X-3X the price.   I haven't seen the target model in person, so I don't know how good the sights are--they certainly needed an upgrade over what was on the base model.    The grip will be an issue--a lot of people will find it too short, leaving the pinkie largely unsupported. If they sell enough of these, aftermarket grips will fill the void.

Of course, the 41 is a much, much prettier gun with a great track record. 

Oh, I don't disagree that the 41 is a far better gun. I shoot my uncle's Model 41 pretty regularly. It's a gorgeous gun - and it simply oozes quality from every pore. But I think S&W is smart enough to realize that there's a large customer segment that will simply NEVER pay 12-1300 dollars for a .22 pistol.

This new model is probably priced cheaply enough that it won't cut into the consumer base that will still buy one of their Model 41's, and yet, it will also win some those price-sensitive customers away from Ruger. That's what I'm thinking anyway. I just think it's smart from a marketing perspective.

• Like 1

I have been using a S&W Victory with Tandemkross trigger and Volquortsen grips for bullseye this season (though I missed a lot of league days due to work) It’s OK for the job but the Ruger is better all around. The options available for the Victory is minuscule compared to the Ruger, the grip frame for the Victory is short and oddly shaped to me, the safety is my biggest gripe because the knuckle on my thumb constantly hits it even with the Volquortsen grips so I’ve had to jam a piece of rubber above it to keep from triggering the safety every shot but I can’t leave it in there for an official match because the rules say all safety features must be in working order. 

The only things it has going is it is a good gun you can get very cheap (like $150 less then the Ruger sometimes), is not ammo sensitive other then really low velocity stuff below 1000 FPS and it is accurate. That said, I often wish I bought a Buckmark or Ruger instead. 

-Jim

• Like 1