Sign in to follow this  
Recon Racoon

Alien gear shape shifter 4.0?

Just applied for my CCL (Florida is pretty cool guys, trust me) a couple days ago. I'm looking at the alien gear shape shifter 4.0, but they don't have a clear answer on if it can take a full size range officer. Has anyone tried it? Does anyone have any time with a shape shifter 4.0? Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Also, I'm not married to the idea of carrying my 1911, I also thought about my xd-9. I'm still 50/50 on both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Speaking from personal experience trying to carry a large handgun (FNS-9), residing in a warm climate (Guam), in an Alien Gear holster (Tuck 2.0).  Don't do it.  I don't know what kind of body build you are, but that's a pretty bad combination.  If you were in a climate where you could regularly wear some type of wind breaker or jacket, it might not be that bad.  I now carry a Shield with a TLR-6 in a simple kydex holster, with a spare mag on the support side.  It's so much better.

Also, I wouldn't recommend getting a holster that tries to do everything.  It will be a horrible IWB holster, and a mediocre OWB holster at best.  Spend a couple extra dollars and get yourself a quality, dedicated IWB holster, and OWB holster.  You will be much happier that you did.

1 hour ago, vjf915 said:

Speaking from personal experience trying to carry a large handgun (FNS-9), residing in a warm climate (Guam)

Interesting, how are the gun laws there?

I used to carry my PPQ in an alien gear holster when I was on Fla (my in laws reside there)

It would get super sweaty and uncomfortable. Now I carry a G26 in a k rounds appendix holster. Light, comfortable and can wear it all day.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

Interesting, how are the gun laws there?

Gun laws are not bad.  Gun and ammo prices are horrible though.  $175 for 500rds of 9mm is the best that I can get, by far....and I paid $520 for my Shield.

Purchase is legal with a firearms ID.  No hoops to jump through...just a form, fingerprints, and a background check.  CCW can be obtained after getting that.  You need to show some sort of proficiency with a firearm.  I brought in a copy of our most recent gun shoot, with a "Q" under M9 next to my name.  They accepted that.

Pretty much the only thing they actually regulate here is you can't have select fire, a suppressor, and they require registration.  The range selection isn't great either.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of the alien gear 3.0/3.5. The newer holsters breathe better in the NC heat.

as for carrying a 1911... I carry the shield because it was 1/3 the cost of the 1911. Also reliable, etc. God forbid If I ever had to use it, I won't be as upset having it "confiscated" until my innocence was proven as I would be the much nicer, more expensive 1911. 1911 is also very heavy compared to polymer pistols. Good luck!

Would crossbreed holsters give me the same issue? Or are they a little better in quality and size?

For reference, I'm a big guy. 5'10, 285 (trying to work on it). When I carry around the house it's usually a G-code for the xd, or a 1776 leather holster for the 1911. The weight doesn't bother me. But the bulk of the holster does.

Edit to add: I love the G-code for its retention, and thumb release hood. I don't like how far it comes off my waist. I like the 1776 for its weight, and snug it fits to my body, but I don't like how far it brings the beaver tail up and into my side when I sit down. That's what fascinates me with the adjustable IWB hook depth.

I have relatively low experience carrying (approximately 3 years, with 2 firearms).  I for one love my 1911...but I wouldn't want to carry it.  That's me though, and different people are different.  What works for me is a simple kydex holster, with an undershirt tucked in, and a t shirt on top.  I don't find kydex all that uncomfortable.  Other options have worked for other people.  Certainly look for opinions on what other people have tried, but don't be afraid to buy a couple different types of holsters and try them out.  Just keep in mind that you get what you pay for with holsters, don't go with any ebay/no-name brand.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 11:20 AM, Recon Racoon said:

Would crossbreed holsters give me the same issue? Or are they a little better in quality and size?

I have a Crossbreed for my 92FS and I do not like it.  The tip of the barrel is not protected by the leather so it rubs on my thigh.  Very uncomfortable.   Alien Gear is better

If you insist on a 1911, why not go ultra, (3").... I have a Kimber Covert II and fell asleep on the couch in an IWB Alien Gear Holster. Wasn't planning on napping and laughed when I woke up. Only mark was where the hammer left an imprint in my hip. Howz that for comfort?

I have the alien gear shapeshifter starter kit for the G19 and the IWB is very comfortable.   Haven't tried the AIWB setup yet though as im not a fan of appendix carry.   Although with this NH permit change my whole kit just got a whole lot less useful lol

If you insist on a 1911, why not go ultra, (3").... I have a Kimber Covert II and fell asleep on the couch in an IWB Alien Gear Holster. Wasn't planning on napping and laughed when I woke up. Only mark was where the hammer left an imprint in my hip. Howz that for comfort?

I think I found a solid replacement for the 1911 or xd carry option. Fingered a VP9, and a couple FN's today and fell in love with the vp9. So I'm going to look for a vp9sk. If I can't get the 9sk, the FNS9 or FNS9C is on my radar.

I have both VPs and the SK is just as accurate. I just figured you wanted something in 45.... The Ultras fit that bill and just as accurate imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both VPs and the SK is just as accurate. I just figured you wanted something in 45.... The Ultras fit that bill and just as accurate imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ended up getting a FNS 9C yesterday. I can pick it up Thursday.

Finally decided on what I was doing after hours of YouTube and testing my full size guns at home. While i probably could have concealed my XD, it was just to thick for me to be comfortable with. The 9 C is small enough and slim enough, I won't have to many concerns about printing. And it comes with 2 extra mags. On sale for 449, I traded in a gun and ended up paying 85 after tax.

• Like 1

Update!

Got my 9C! And my CCL in the mail the same day! Less than 2 weeks from the time I applied to the time I got it. Feels great with the pinky extension. Palm swell is a little proud, but it comes with an extra backstrap for a flatter grip.

Ended up trying a generic IWB holster and it's terrible. It adds like an inch to the gun. Prints like a mofo.

Ended up ordering a Nomad from t.rex arms and a cloak tuck 3.5 from alien gear. The Nomad will be here Monday, the cloak tuck should be here in a week or two. Definitely going to try both out and do a small review on both. b85b31ffcb751404f44298ee6be4cbd5.jpg7a4b36fe5b5a256c94b59400549d12a9.jpg

• Like 1

Any update on the Alien Gear Cloak Tuk?  I am thinking of getting one for my G43.  Either the Alien Gear or the Crossbreed.  On the Alien Gear, is the v3.5 material better than their standard leather?
I don't like the 3.5

It holds the gun tight, and it fits on my belt tight, but it just doesn't feel right. There's something about it that I don't like.

I've using my t-rex arms Nomad. That thing kicks ass, and I can't be happier with it.