Sign in to follow this  
Lambo2936

Anyone Familiar with Wenonah NJ?

Parents are looking to buy a McMansion there, for less than their house here in East Brunswick. Price is ridiculously low compared to here. Taxes are as high as they should be for a house of that size but insanely high relative to the house price. I believe its a foreclosure.

Just wondering how the area is. We are looking at a warehouse for the business about 8 minutes away, as well. Just wondering why the taxes are so high compared to home values... seems like a Stroudsburg PA type situation.

Parents are looking to buy a McMansion there, for less than their house here in East Brunswick. Price is ridiculously low compared to here. Taxes are as high as they should be for a house of that size but insanely high relative to the house price. I believe its a foreclosure.
Just wondering how the area is. We are looking at a warehouse for the business about 8 minutes away, as well. Just wondering why the taxes are so high compared to home values... seems like a Stroudsburg PA type situation.
Probably like most small towns they have to pay ridiculous amounts of money to send their kids to school elsewhere.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Doesnt explain why a 1m+ house is like 40% of that. And theres a whole bunch of them.. havent seen house in person but my father paid more than they're asking for the house we're in now and this one required a complete gut reno.. was original from the 70s other than the roof..... by gut reno i mean half of the sheetrock was replaced, along with kitchen, bathrooms, windows, etc.

Even with East Brunswicks crazy taxes, they pay like 17k here. The house down there is just under twice that... but, theyd have no mortgage....

Nevermind the absolutely insane house, the warehouse my father just went to look at was 8 minutes from the house... current commute is 40-45 minutes WITHOUT traffic to his property in Newark where my warehouse is now. Thats f****n awesome for us, as it was our priority. Something just seems off about the area.. too good to be true, even with 30k taxes...

House is on 2 acres, too. Pool with a pool house, etc......... absolutely INSANE. Id live in the pool house, nevermind the house.

Doesnt explain why a 1m+ house is like 40% of that. And theres a whole bunch of them.. havent seen house in person but my father paid more than they're asking for the house we're in now and this one required a complete gut reno.. was original from the 70s other than the roof..... by gut reno i mean half of the sheetrock was replaced, along with kitchen, bathrooms, windows, etc.

Even with East Brunswicks crazy taxes, they pay like 17k here. The house down there is just under twice that... but, theyd have no mortgage....

Nevermind the absolutely insane house, the warehouse my father just went to look at was 8 minutes from the house... current commute is 40-45 minutes WITHOUT traffic to his property in Newark where my warehouse is now. Thats f****n awesome for us, as it was our priority. Something just seems off about the area.. too good to be true, even with 30k taxes...

House is on 2 acres, too. Pool with a pool house, etc......... absolutely INSANE. Id live in the pool house, nevermind the house.

You answered your own question $30k taxes. Also distance from NYC.

Look at Manalapan, Monroe, and Jamesburg. Houses in Manalapan are more expensive than Monroe because Monroe taxes are higher and it is off RT 9 Corridor. Houses in Jamesburg are much cheaper than either Manalapan or Monroe because taxes are even higher.

If taxes were lower and area was as close to major city and prices were much lower then I would think something else is going on.

Its way south but only 30 mins to Philly w/o traffic..

There has to be a catch, i just dont know what it is yet.

That house in East Brunswick would also be at least 30-35k in taxes.... but, it would cost at least twice the price.

Its 4x the land and like 100sqft shy of twice the square footage... and the house were in is worth like 550k... that house would be at least 1M.

2 minutes ago, capt14k said:

It also probably doesn't help home prices when the population is lower today than it was in 1970. It doesn't seem there is much demand to live there.

Weird part is tons of the homes were built in the 90s.

Theres something going on causing people to jump ship, other than taxes. Similar house up the street in cherry hill is much more money.. people are leaving for a reason.. its a symptom, not cause IMO.

Similar house in East Brunswick is around 25,000+ in taxes. I just looked at a few.. but, much less land.

Its way south but only 30 mins to Philly w/o traffic.. There has to be a catch, i just dont know what it is yet. That house in East Brunswick would also be at least 30-35k in taxes.... but, it would cost at least twice the price. Its 4x the land and like 100sqft shy of twice the square footage... and the house were in is worth like 550k... that house would be at least 1M.

There aren't too many million dollar homes in East Brunswick. It gets to a point of diminishing returns.  Just recently 3,400 sq ft house with finished walkout basement (not included in SQ footage) with horse barn and pen, in ground pool with huge paver patio, pond, on 5 acres in Monroe sold for $540,000. For the record in ground pool adds no value to the property. House was built by builder for his family. Taxes $25k a year. Not many people want to pony up that kind of money every year after you pay off your mortgage. Thus why the price tag was so low. 

Here is the listing from the house sold in Monroe. The taxes are a killer. Builder owed almost $900k on the house and lost it to the bank at Sheriff Sale. Bank took home back and then sold for $540k eating the $350k.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/134-N-Bergen-Mills-Rd-Monroe-Township-NJ-08831/61835115_zpid/

I know another small local builder in Monroe losing his home. He owes the bank $600k. House has a pool house you could live in also on 5 acres. That one is almost 4,500 sq ft. Guaranteed it doesn't go for over what the bank is owed and taxes on that one are $18k. Some towns just can't command the prices and Monroe is right between Rt 9 and the Turnpike. Also homes outside developments don't seem to command as much money in many towns. Yet you couldn't build a 4,500 sq ft home with in ground pool and pool house for $600k if you got the land for free.

They saw the house today and other than a few minor issues, they seem to like it. Sounds like the town is in financial trouble and what not, though. Residents suing township over the raising of taxes, as well. Lol. They are considering putting an offer in. 

They saw the house today and other than a few minor issues, they seem to like it. Sounds like the town is in financial trouble and what not, though. Residents suing township over the raising of taxes, as well. Lol. They are considering putting an offer in. 
That's typical of many single square mile NJ towns. Yet they won't consolidate because no one wants to lose that little bit of power

On 4/15/2018 at 11:10 PM, Lambo2936 said:

Weird part is tons of the homes were built in the 90s.

Theres something going on causing people to jump ship, other than taxes. Similar house up the street in cherry hill is much more money.. people are leaving for a reason.. its a symptom, not cause IMO.

Similar house in East Brunswick is around 25,000+ in taxes. I just looked at a few.. but, much less land.

PEOPLE were buying way more house than they could afford.

30 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

PEOPLE were buying way more house than they could afford.

In JUST that town, though?
In East Brunswick, similar houses are MUCH more money (Nearly double), with the same taxes, and they are doing nothing but Building here, granted they have their own Good school system.
We got hit just like everyone else when things collapsed, but the population in Wenonah has done nothing but decline for like 40 years now, yet there are newer houses (Many built in the 90s?)..
Freakin weird.

Wenonah is half rich and half middle class. It’s a quiet town. I avoided it as a young driver because they pulled people over for every thing they could. But they are voting to share service. Oak valley also has a wenonah zip but is smaller houses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good restaurants near by too

Good restraunts in South Jersey? I didn't think there was such a thing. They are hard enough to find in Central Jersey.

My parents stopped at some diner, said it was fantastic.

1 hour ago, Shawnmoore81 said:

Wenonah is half rich and half middle class. It’s a quiet town. I avoided it as a young driver because they pulled people over for every thing they could. But they are voting to share service. Oak valley also has a wenonah zip but is smaller houses.

Thanks for the useful info! This is the type of info im looking for.
Not surprising, and yes i read earlier about them potentially sharing service.

• Like 1

Live in the town right next to Wenonah, I even know of the McMasions you are speaking of. The area is ok, close to Philly, the Jersey Shore, even NYC, but far enough away to avoid the congestion. FID’s and pistol permits have been fine, local cops usually within the 30 day timeframe. Wenonah is looking at outsourcing their police department, they will go with Mantua, and I don’t know of any issues with permits from them. Wenonah has always been old school conservative, most recently starting to see a swing towards the left (younger people). Schools are rated pretty good. Tight community, several churches. 

Probably one of the best communities in Gloucester County, but expensive as far as taxes go....

Two indoor ranges, at least 4 decent outdoor ranges within a 40 minute drive. 

Ok IDPA and 3 gun at SJSC, GREAT IDPA, USPSA, & 3 GUN at Quinton Sportsman’s Club.

As far as diners Hollywood is a good spot. Colonial diner also. Restaurants you have the barnesboro inn and Telford inn. Steak out if you want sandwiches. I recommend the ostrich cheesesteak. Mandarin for Chinese.
One of my best friends growing up lives on tall pines drive which is right outside wenonah.
Trent Cole (former eagle) is still in that area. My friend ran into mike Vick at the target so he may be also. If you head to Washington township there is tons of stuff

I live just east in Sewell/ Mantua. Wenonah is disbanding the police force in a few weeks and Mantua will police the town with shared police services. Wenonah locals are not happy but it will be a tax savings. Wenonah is a nice small town and has easy access to Philadelphia during non rush hour traffic.

There is this the library restaurant  great steaks, Captain Cats  for seafood. USANA and Square Circle are local shooting clubs that are private but host open to the public events . There are a couple local gun/hunting stores in the area  one with a indoor range. If your looking for contractors / business in the area PM me i maybe able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction . Good luck

John  

21 hours ago, glockncolts said:

People from the area are retiring. Doctors office closed up. Dry town . Nothing really to see.

Sorry. Just saw this.

Dry town doesnt matter. Less than 1 square mile and theres a liquor store rhe size of a supermarket right out of wenonah lol.

17 hours ago, onedown5up said:

There is this the library restaurant  great steaks, Captain Cats  for seafood. USANA and Square Circle are local shooting clubs that are private but host open to the public events . There are a couple local gun/hunting stores in the area  one with a indoor range. If your looking for contractors / business in the area PM me i maybe able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction . Good luck

John  

Shoot me a message if you know a good contractor in the area.

I do construction with a buddy of mine on the side so ill likely just have him come down with his crew and do most of the work. Could use a painter though if you know a *good* painter in that area, assuming we get the place. We'll see. Not holding my breath.