SJG

NJ Senate LIve on Gun Bills

12 minutes ago, fatty said:

Did I just hear that there's now an amendment to the mag capacity bill to grandfather existing 15rd mags?!

That's what I heard.  This is what California did 10 years ago.  Now, they've passed Prop 63 (10 rounds illegal, no grandfathering).  They were sued (Duncan vs. Becerra) and lost - now in appeal.

12 minutes ago, fatty said:

Did I just hear that there's now an amendment to the mag capacity bill to grandfather existing 15rd mags?!

I connected to start listening right as that was being said ... that's what I thought I heard as well that existing ones would be grandfathered. But then .. how does one prove it's a "pre-ban" mag?  Looking forward to more info on this

Not clear to me exactly what the amendment is. I think all they did was add"removable mag" into that part of the bill the Assembly used "fixed mag" if you register the firearm. The negative is and was, that if you pay the $50 and do that, your heirs have to get rid of the  registered firearm. We will just have to wait  and see exactly what the amendment was. Frankly, I don't think the person announcing the amendment had any clue what they were saying as they repeated it three times, and three times it sounded different.

After listening to most of the Senate committee testimony today, besides my blood pressure rising exponentially, it makes me want to hear news reports of gun control advocates being struck down in various ways (that I will not detail here in public) to make them and their friends and relatives see and acknowledge the enormous error of their ways in preventing law abiding citizens from being able to defend themselves and their loved ones against the Evil that dwells in our midst.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

So good to hear the 'confiscate, confiscate, confiscate' voice of Greenstein ... not!

Kip Bateman (R) voted "yes" on the extra background check bill?  You've got to be kidding.

Kip is only interested in keeping his seat, and his district is becoming more blue every day.  He could care less about your/my gun rights.

The last time I saw Kip was at the Heritage Guild in Branchburg. No idea why he was there but chatted with him for a few minutes in the gun room.  At the time I thought it was a good sign.  Now?  Not so much...

Because the Committee session is now done.

Go to the Senate Law and Public Safety Committee area on the NJLeg website to the 4/16/18 archives (after they post them) to listen to today's hearing.

Take heed: Medical Marijuana and/or Good Scotch are prerequisites for avoiding the nausea you will suffer while listening.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

...Did anyone listen to the entire session and can give a synopsis?

Synopsis:

NJ Senate Democrats suck and don't give a rat's ass about "the people"

They will continue to disarm and try to enslave us until either we or they are dead.

And that, my friend, is the rest of the story.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Synopsis:

NJ Senate Democrats suck and don't give a rat's ass about "the people"

They will continue to disarm and try to enslave us until either we or they are dead.

And that, my friend, is the rest of the story.

Thank you Mr. Harvey

4 minutes ago, Gunnz said:

Any truth to grandfathering clause that was stated above?

Wonder what 15 rounders are currently up to....its going to be a commodity market soon!

15 hours ago, Lakota said:

I connected to start listening right as that was being said ... that's what I thought I heard as well that existing ones would be grandfathered. But then .. how does one prove it's a "pre-ban" mag?  Looking forward to more info on this

It wouldn’t surprise me if they were to write it in a way that is similar to how the 2C:39-6 exemptions were. As Nappen has pointed out in the past, those exemptions are defenses in court and the onus is on you to prove that you are within the exemption. I’m sure the onus will be on all of us to prove without a shadow of a doubt that the mags were owned prior to the ban, and if you can’t, say hello to being a felon.

TL,DR - I’m not getting excited about them possibly grandfathering anything, as I guarantee they’ll find a way to screw us. 

27 minutes ago, Persona non grata said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if they were to write it in a way that is similar to how the 2C:39-6 exemptions were. As Nappen has pointed out in the past, those exemptions are defenses in court and the onus is on you to prove that you are within the exemption. I’m sure the onus will be on all of us to prove without a shadow of a doubt that the mags were owned prior to the ban, and if you can’t, say hello to being a felon.

TL,DR - I’m not getting excited about them possibly grandfathering anything, as I guarantee they’ll find a way to screw us. 

I'm with you, can't believe they will be grandfathered, NJ has never grandfathered anything. The 10 rd mag has been the big flea in Winebergs crotch for yrs and I can't see her letting this happen unless there is a back room deal going on....I would be shocked if it happened but you can be sure if it does it will be waved as a big concession to us, only to be taken away next yr or so. About proving pre ban, could be as simple as being able to show you just owned the gun prior and have every reason to own the 15s. But of course when you are deemed guilty until proven innocent nothing is simple. 

Now they are banning "Ghost Guns".

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/04/now_nj_is_looking_to_ban_ghost_guns_too.html#incart_river_index

(And I thought that they already were illegal in NJ, when they were called "zip guns". And have been illegal since the 1960s.)