photon guy

Many of the good gun shops in NJ have closed down

But I haven't heard of or been to one shop who has a Smith with the talent and ability of the one's mentioned here years past.....lucky today if they can fit a sight correctly never mind machine in a Bowmar......any "Joe" can get a FFL, put in a couple of counters and open a shop.....not the same....OMO.

.....and in the Hamden / New Haven, Ct. area there was Piscatelli's Gun Shop and Cook, Newton & Smith across from High Standard Firearms Co. on Dixwell, Ave. .....had work done there also.

One of my favorite local gun shops that had a good indoor range was Hillsborough Outdoor Shooting Center.. I bought my H&K USP 45 there in June 2000.  It closed in 2004. I would go to Ray's occasionally after that, at least a few times. Finally I decided to join the old Brick Armory range when Phil moved to Lakewood. I am still a member at the Garden State Shooting Center because they did an extremely good job completely renovating the old B A & made great improvements to the range. I am going to keep going to G S S C as often as possible to shoot a few of my different handguns, as I really do like everything about the store & range.  

On 4/25/2018 at 10:59 AM, xXxplosive said:

But I haven't heard of or been to one shop who has a Smith with the talent and ability of the one's mentioned here years past.....

There are a few reasons why.  

1.  Guns made today are built differently than those of years past.  Most guns today have the upgrades that you would have had to pay for years ago.

2.  Most guns today are, POLYMER STRIKER FIRED 9MMs.  No need for any work done.

3.  It's a dying art.

Maybe so....but even the most minor adjustments today become a huge undertaking, just because of lack of experience and know how....try and find someone locally who can "Really" work on and set up a 1911like a Jason Burton.....none that I know of and I probably know of most around......your right, it's a dying art that is almost dead.

1 hour ago, xXxplosive said:

Hillsborough Shooting Center I was told was closed down by the NJ State Fish & Game for deer check in violations...

Untrue. The guy that owned the building gave it to his son, who kicked them out to start his own business. This from the co owner who just finished expanding the fishing dept on the second floor.  A shame as even though range time was paid for an hour, they let you stay till whenever. They had great prices as well and would deal. 

10 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

Hillsborough Shooting Center I was told was closed down by the NJ State Fish & Game for deer check in violations...

Wow, you may be right, but the reason they told me before they went out of business was that the building owner wanted to use the land for something else & did not renew their lease. At least I still have my USP 45 full size. I need to get it out & bring it with me the next time I go to G S S C.

NJ Fish and Game could fine them, and take away their concession to sell hunting and fishing licenses, but they don't have the power to force a retail establishment to close.

57 minutes ago, BHP said:

My range is very much open, GunForHire. Why fool around anywhere else.

BHP,  there's a guy there who's code name is ANT.......Watch out not to piss him off!:)

All kidding aside, I wish I lived closer to GFH. Great people there! Mr Colandro included!

On 5/12/2018 at 8:01 AM, xXxplosive said:

Don't shoot  indoors much anymore.....

I used to shoot mostly indoors because of time and convenience.   However, shooting outdoors is much more enjoyable.   I mostly went to CR and when I was afforded time to do so really enjoyed regardless of weather.