Sign in to follow this  
70gto

recommend garden tractor

HI guys , going crazy with information overload here. can anybody recommend a good new/used garden tractor/mower. land 1.5 acres with slight slope and a couple trees. I know many will fit that bill, but i also need it to tow a carts full of wood. lots of downed trees etc. I would like a nice cut out of it and probably bag with it. budget is less than 4k and thats with a cart. I been partial to the john deeres and have been looking at the older models like the 475-495 series. 4 wheel steer sounds nice but not necessary. Its got to cut nice i'm thinking in the 42-48 inch cut. The trans is the most important part. I don't want to kill it with moving wood. I don't have to stick with the deeres I just don't know enough about the other brands. husky looks nice but don't know about the transmissions, cub cadet I have no experience with. Kubotas way out of my budget. if it can accommodate a snowblower and pull aerators that would be a bonus. 

side note the husky 322r looks really cool, but dont know if it will hold up to above average use.

Thanks for the input.

Yeah i bought from him before . i currently use it . He is an excellent guy and great transaction. that one i got is the mower I use while i saved for the one i really need. It will be for sale as soon as i get the one i need. Just mowed with it, Dont want to abuse it. I have cut tree logs 15-18 inches diameter and length that need splitting for anyone who wants them free.

You know, timing is everything.  Just sold a John Deere x360 with the powerflow bagger setup. 

I'll keep my eyes out for something.  Best chance will be if someone trades something in.

Are you handy?  I know of a Kubota 4wd diesel with a mower deck and plow setup that would do whatever you need - but it needs a clutch.  Could probably get it for $1200.  I think it's a model 2120 but not sure, was used by a school (I think) and traded in when the clutch went.  A bit worn, but for someone that wants something like this and can fix it, it's good deal. 

Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the contact info for it.  You can talk to him directly but he may want me to "broker" the sale for reasons I can explain later.  Nothing shady, just a non-compete issue.

Look at this website, and in particular the transmission page.

I have a JD GT 235, which I bought because of the Tuff Torq K71 Transmission

http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/0/5/52-john-deere-gt235-transmission.html

This is also a good place to do tractor research

http://www.mytractorforum.com/forum.php#lawn-garden-tractors

And stick with a Deere, as they are easy to get accessories for on the second hand market.

32 minutes ago, mustang69 said:

You know, timing is everything.  Just sold a John Deere x360 with the powerflow bagger setup. 

I'll keep my eyes out for something.  Best chance will be if someone trades something in.

Are you handy?  I know of a Kubota 4wd diesel with a mower deck and plow setup that would do whatever you need - but it needs a clutch.  Could probably get it for $1200.  I think it's a model 2120 but not sure, was used by a school (I think) and traded in when the clutch went.  A bit worn, but for someone that wants something like this and can fix it, it's good deal. 

Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the contact info for it.  You can talk to him directly but he may want me to "broker" the sale for reasons I can explain later.  Nothing shady, just a non-compete issue.

Changed clutches on my 1970 gto, is it much more of a pita than that, also is it beat to hell? is there a deck on it? thanks. if you dont mind send pm me info info thanks

Not sure if you were looking for used or new, but I bought a new 2017 Cub Cadet X1 GT50 mid-summer and love it. Saved a few bucks off MSRP since it was a showroom model and got a cover for it. 

Plenty of power with the VTwin 25hp, handles the steep hills on .5 ac pretty well, automatic trans, mulching blades, comfy seat and tons of attachments are available. Also has an app for maintenance info, oil life, etc.

The reason I picked this one is that the trans is built to tow with, and I moved LOTS of gravel, QP and retaining wall stones with the fold up cart that Cub makes in the fall.

Off the top of my head, I think it was $2500.00 out the door, 3 bin bagger was $500.00 additional. The 2018 models are a few hundred more:

http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet/enduro-series-50-in-25hp-kohler-engine

I saw a youtube vid of the 3 stage snow thrower and snow cab in action, THAT looks like something I may do next year, especially if we have another winter like the one we are still going through LOL.

Make sure you do the research before dropping the hammer on a blower attachment.  For the price of the attachment, you could likely get a smaller snowblower that would still be big enough to handle the snow that NJ gets.  On top of that...unless things have changed, you have to drop the deck in order to install the blower.  May not be worth the trouble.

A couple responses, that ingersol looks interesting got to research that one. the cubs i hear are were made well just never considered one only because i got to research home owner vs semi commercial grade one. I hate buying stuff twice. new or used doesnt matter if its cared for and has a good rep for quality. As far as snowblower, i have a decent craftsman thats been good to me. just a thought in my head to have all in one machine, it may not be worth it and too much of a pita. i get it. 

Realistically 90 percent mowing. 10 percent beating the shit out of it towing moving wood stumps gravel etc.

the deere 475-495 series would fit the bill they are pretty big for residential and probably overkill. cant find a decent one under 4-5k and if you do they are all out of state anyways

appreciate the feedback though. 

It might be out of your price range, but I bought a x570 last year, and it's a beast. I can't tell you how many times I have used the rear locker to get my self out of a situation on my back yard slope. I spend all that money for a decent trans and locker. Was pulling wood around all winter in the snow with chains. 

Oh, and it pulls a couple hundred pounds of wood up that same hill. 

Might be worth looking for a used x500 series.

The wife made me buy the expensive blower bagging system cause she hates clippings, but I hear the mulching kit is awesome.