InFamous

Non-Resident Permits No Longer Honored in PA INCLUDING NH and TX

What I find ironic is, people were/are willing to pay NH $100 for their non-resident permit.  As soon as they removed the home state restriction how many people FLOCKED to get it?  I mean it was a months long backlog there for a while.  Given the number of different state plates I see on my trips across the state of PA, I'd imagine they'd (PA) could pull in a couple million dollars worth of revenue by doing the same.  That's a lot of cash to help with the "opoid crisis" I'd think.... or a lot for someone to pocket.

ETA: just looking at the nearby "red" states on handgunlaw.us...

NY, NJ, RI DE,MD,DC, and now VA.  residents of those 7 locales alone who frequent PA would flock to get a PA non-res permit if they offered it for sale like NH does.

Delaware and Virginia probably wouldn't, but Maryland, NJ, NYC and Long Island certainly would. Not sure about Rhode Island, but I seem to remember state residents not having a problem there.

Edit if Delaware, Virginia, Upstate NY and Rhode Island Resident permits aren't valid in PA I believe they all can get PA Non-Resident Still since they can get home state CCW.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Delaware and Virginia probably wouldn't, but Maryland, NJ, NYC and Long Island certainly would. Not sure about Rhode Island, but I seem to remember state residents not having a problem there.

Edit if Delaware, Virginia, Upstate NY and Rhode Island Resident permits aren't valid in PA I believe they all can get PA Non-Resident Still since they can get home state CCW.

Yep that's correct. Stupid but correct.

Has anyone besides me been calling? we should be nonstop calling the AG's office, governors office and other public officials, or are we all just going to accept it for what it is?  I have spent 2 days bothering people and asking questions about the change. We NEED to get the NRA to challenge this, it is discrimination in my opinion to issue non-residents CCW's, but only if you have a CCW in your home state.  Seems like everyone is being too complacent in this, it needs to be changed, somehow.  Make some phone calls, emails and letters to officials in PA!!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, demonicdave said:

Has anyone besides me been calling? we should be nonstop calling the AG's office, governors office and other public officials, or are we all just going to accept it for what it is?  I have spent 2 days bothering people and asking questions about the change. We NEED to get the NRA to challenge this, it is discrimination in my opinion to issue non-residents CCW's, but only if you have a CCW in your home state.  Seems like everyone is being too complacent in this, it needs to be changed, somehow.  Make some phone calls, emails and letters to officials in PA!!!!

Would not your effort be better served to carry on your sidewalk? In front of your home? The places you frequent locally?

• Like 2

You are correct. This is a change and challenge that is possible to win with phone calls and if not lawsuits. Making calls to NJ Dems is like spitting in the wind.

The VA resident carry permit is recognized in PA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

The VA resident carry permit is recognized in PA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not for long, I believe when the other agreement expires it is not being renewed, i did read that on the PA AG's website

50 minutes ago, capt14k said:

You are correct. This is a change and challenge that is possible to win with phone calls and if not lawsuits. Making calls to NJ Dems is like spitting in the wind.

It has nothing to do with NJ, this has to do with the AG in Pennsylvania either changing something in the rules, or interpreting them differently then they were before. The agreements were definitely written differently. When I spoke to NH they said they will accept PA all permits because NH doesn't require them at all, but the Texas nonresident is also not accepted and when i spoke to Texas they said they did not know why they would take PA if PA wasn't reciprocating with theirs.

20 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

Yeah, let's sue PA. Because Jersey laws don't need suing first.

They absolutely do, and someone already is suing them, but we are getting it from all sides!!

7 minutes ago, demonicdave said:

Not for long, I believe when the other agreement expires it is not being renewed, i did read that on the PA AG's website

*Virginia concealed carry licenses will no longer be recognized by Pennsylvania after the reciprocity agreement terminates on May 16, 2018.

They absolutely do, and someone already is suing them, but we are getting it from all sides!!
I know it has nothing to do with NJ. My point was it makes more sense to call in this case then it does calling NJ Dems when they are about to change laws here.

*Virginia concealed carry licenses will no longer be recognized by Pennsylvania after the reciprocity agreement terminates on May 16, 2018.

So VA won't recognize PA either I assume. However VA Resident can get PA non-Resident license that will be recognized since they can get a license in their home state.

Just now, capt14k said:

I know it has nothing to do with NJ. My point was it makes more sense to call in this case then it does calling NJ Dems when they are about to change laws here.

it needs to be taken up with PA, as the change is there, NJ definitely needs to be changed and maybe someday they will, there is a lawsuit still in the works now to get the supreme court to hear the case. I think anyone that is directly effected by this should group up and let's do something about it, I mentioned the other day for anyone interested in pursuing something to message me, and haven't gotten any responses yet, I can't and won't do it alone

2 minutes ago, capt14k said:

So VA won't recognize PA either I assume. However VA Resident can get PA non-Resident license that will be recognized since they can get a license in their home state.

100% correct, we are being discriminated against, because NJ list themselves as "may issue" instead of "no issue" if they didn't provide for a home state license we may be able to qualify for a PA non resident, but since they do, we can not get one there

2 hours ago, demonicdave said:

Scratch that shithole state off my "visit" list.

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

@demonicdave you don’t feel you’re being discriminated against in your home state? I mean where you reside?

Of course I do, but Pennsylvania offers a nonresident permit that I should be able to obtain as a non-resident, my having a home state permit should have no bearing on that. Everyone knows NJ's law is unconstitutional. If New Jersey isn't going to issue permits then they should change to a "no issue" state, if they did, we could obtain non-resident permits in PA. 

I emailed them to find out how I, as a New Jersey resident with New Hampshire and an Arizona non resident permits and having family I need to check up on in the Poconos, can still concealed carry.  Here is their response:

Unfortunately, you are correct.  Under Pennsylvania law, a concealed carry license cannot be issued to a new-jersey resident unless you have a license from New Jersey.  We recommend you contact the Pennsylvania State Police to discuss when a license to carry a concealed firearm is not required for interstate travel.

can we vehicle carry with a non-resident perit?   If so, then u can open carry once u step out.  we have a house in the poconos and want to make sure im can travel w my firearm!
Yes but no open carry while state of emergency is in effect and no open carry ever in Philly. However there maybe a loophole for certain states permits as previously eluded to but I wouldn't want to test it.

I wonder if they will systematically not renew any expiring reciprocity.   If they do that it may get people motivated to vote out the dem riff raff in PS. 

7 hours ago, capt14k said:

I assume Resident only if not do either state offer Non-Resident for us?

It wouldn't do any good, the non resident permit would not work in Pennsylvania from any state. Received this from PA attorney General's office. 

Good afternoon.  Under Pennsylvania law, a concealed carry license cannot be issued to a non-resident unless that individual has a concealed carry license from his or her home state.  The reciprocity agreements simply document the requirements of Pennsylvania law.  We recommend you contact the Pennsylvania State Police to discuss the what exceptions to the requirement to have a license to carry in Pennsylvania exist for interstate travel.

It wouldn't do any good, the non resident permit would not work in Pennsylvania from any state. Received this from PA attorney General's office. 

Good afternoon.  Under Pennsylvania law, a concealed carry license cannot be issued to a non-resident unless that individual has a concealed carry license from his or her home state.  The reciprocity agreements simply document the requirements of Pennsylvania law.  We recommend you contact the Pennsylvania State Police to discuss the what exceptions to the requirement to have a license to carry in Pennsylvania exist for interstate travel.

I'm not so sure their answer is correct. Looking at the law that says regardless of reprococity agreements. My reading is if PA doesn't have a reprococity agreement with a state and the laws are indentical and the other state recognizes PA permits then that states permits would be good in PA. Not sure if there are any states that fall into that category.

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

I'm not so sure their answer is correct. Looking at the law that says regardless of reprococity agreements. My reading is if PA doesn't have a reprococity agreement with a state and the laws are indentical and the other state recognizes PA permits then that states permits would be good in PA. Not sure if there are any states that fall into that category.

That is the way they are interpreting the law, whether it is correct or not only an attorney or a court could possibly interpret it differently, but we are stuck with it, unless we challenge it, we can not be silent on the issue, I have been reaching out to lawyers to see if any would like to take on the case. I still have not received any messages from anyone else that would be interested in possibly fighting it, so i guess nobody else cares that much.

That is the way they are interpreting the law, whether it is correct or not only an attorney or a court could possibly interpret it differently, but we are stuck with it, unless we challenge it, we can not be silent on the issue, I have been reaching out to lawyers to see if any would like to take on the case. I still have not received any messages from anyone else that would be interested in possibly fighting it, so i guess nobody else cares that much.

I like the idea. What about the lawyer in the links?

I would recommend everyone interested reach out to Dan Schneider, he is the attorney handling the challenge of NJ's concealed carry law in the supreme court, he is the lawyer for the ARCNJ, which is our local chapter of the NRA, he can be reached at (201)967-8040, i spoke to him and Scott Bach the other day and they are considering challenging it, but they will definitely need to see there is a concern from people to get it changed, i can not do it alone, i have expressed my interest in becoming a plaintiff in the case should they decide to proceed forward with a challenge to it.

1 hour ago, demonicdave said:

I would recommend everyone interested reach out to Dan Schneider, he is the attorney handling the challenge of NJ's concealed carry law in the supreme court, he is the lawyer for the ARCNJ, which is our local chapter of the NRA, he can be reached at (201)967-8040, i spoke to him and Scott Bach the other day and they are considering challenging it, but they will definitely need to see there is a concern from people to get it changed, i can not do it alone, i have expressed my interest in becoming a plaintiff in the case should they decide to proceed forward with a challenge to it.

I'm not weighing in on this issue... I'm just chiming in to correct some information. It's the compulsive editor in me - I just can't help myself! :)

>>>The local NRA chapter is: ANJRPC (Association of NJ Rifle and Pistol Clubs) - http://www.anjrpc.org/ 

>>>The lawsuit on concealed carry was filed for ANJRPC by Dan Schmutter , one of the 2A lawyers who works with ANJRPC. He is with the firm of Hartman & Winnicki - http://www.hartmanwinnicki.com/attorneys/daniel-schmutter-esq/

Carry on!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I'm not weighing in on this issue... I'm just chiming in to correct some information. It's the compulsive editor in me - I just can't help myself! :)

>>>The local NRA chapter is: ANJRPC (Association of NJ Rifle and Pistol Clubs) - http://www.anjrpc.org/ 

>>>The lawsuit on concealed carry was filed for ANJRPC by Dan Schmutter , one of the 2A lawyers who works with ANJRPC. He is with the firm of Hartman & Winnicki - http://www.hartmanwinnicki.com/attorneys/daniel-schmutter-esq/

Carry on!

Thank you for your corrections, I have visual voicemail that transfers voice into text, i took the information off of that, and anyone that knows voice to text, knows its not always accurate, I guess I should have checked my facts better before posting, sorry for any confusion.

• Like 1