photon guy

Registration and Straw Purchases

I do know lots of people who believe in gun rights are against gun registration. One of the arguments in favor of gun registration is that it cuts down on straw purchases. For instance, in NJ to buy a handgun you need a special handgun purchasing permit and, one permit per handgun and when you go to purchase the handgun a copy including the make, model, serial number, caliber, and so forth is sent to both your state and local headquarters. One of the arguments in favor of this is that lets say you buy a handgun and then sell it to a criminal and the criminal uses it to kill somebody, with the handgun being registered they could trace it back to you and you could be charged with illegally selling a handgun to a criminal and with accessory to murder in the case the criminal does use it to kill somebody. Now, as for me Im against registration for other reasons but this is one of the arguments that those who are in favor of registration use. Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, photon guy said:

One of the arguments in favor of this is that lets say you buy a handgun and then sell it to a criminal and the criminal uses it to kill somebody, with the handgun being registered they could trace it back to you and you could be charged with illegally selling a handgun to a criminal and with accessory to murder in the case the criminal does use it to kill somebody. 

All this scenario really shows is that a gun previously owned by one person was used by another to commit murder.  How does the state prove that this was an illegal sale vs a legal (at the time) sale or theft?   The fear is there will be a presumption of guilt and it will be up to the previous owner to prove innocence, which is not how our system is supposed to work. 

Even without the above, the authorities can trace it to the original FFL, who can check their local books for the identity (I think?). So what does registration buy you except the easy-path to confiscation.

Selling a hand gun to a criminal is a CRIME!  

My thoughts?  My thought is the hairs on the back of my neck are up & I might be getting "trolled", for this type of complicated scenario is way past what someone with 14 posts would normally be engaged in!  And Voyager 9 is correct!

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, photon guy said:

I do know lots of people who believe in gun rights are against gun registration. One of the arguments in favor of gun registration is that it cuts down on straw purchases. For instance, in NJ to buy a handgun you need a special handgun purchasing permit and, one permit per handgun and when you go to purchase the handgun a copy including the make, model, serial number, caliber, and so forth is sent to both your state and local headquarters. One of the arguments in favor of this is that lets say you buy a handgun and then sell it to a criminal and the criminal uses it to kill somebody, with the handgun being registered they could trace it back to you and you could be charged with illegally selling a handgun to a criminal and with accessory to murder in the case the criminal does use it to kill somebody. Now, as for me Im against registration for other reasons but this is one of the arguments that those who are in favor of registration use. Thoughts?

2gsikic.jpg

Too soon?

• Like 6