Frankie Raffaele

is it okay to shoot my m9a3 with this cheap fake can?

sorry if this is a dumb question. I got this Pike Arms $30.00 fake can for my M9A3 because I like the way it looks. I know the general opinion in the firearms community about fake suppressors but since this is a NJ forum I don't expect tons of hate

All I want to know is if I'm doing any long term damage to the gun by shooting it with this cheap, heavy fake can on it. It feels as heavy as the gun itself. I know the M9A3 doesn't have a floating barrel so there's no feeding issues to worry about, but when I rack it it just sounds like, heavy or something. I haven't shot it yet, so I'm wondering is it ok to shoot with this heavy and cheap thing?

https://ibb.co/b8UGu7

If it's this one :

https://www.pikearms.com/catalog/product/07581

It's 8.3 oz.  

Silencerco Osprey (one of the lighter suppressors) for 9mm is 9.8 oz.  

https://silencerco.com/silencers/osprey/

If that's the case, go for it!

Also let me know how it is cuz now I want one.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

If it's this one :

https://www.pikearms.com/catalog/product/07581

It's 8.3 oz.  

Silencerco Osprey (one of the lighter suppressors) for 9mm is 9.8 oz.  

https://silencerco.com/silencers/osprey/

If that's the case, go for it!

Also let me know how it is cuz now I want one.

yeah that's it! cool, i'll try it out thanks!

43 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Why though?

just because i like the way it looks, but i'm also not willing to sacrifice the integrity of the gun for it so if there's a technical reason not to keep it on, I'm all ears

Just now, Frankie Raffaele said:

just because i like the way it looks, but i'm also not willing to sacrifice the integrity of the gun for it so if there's a technical reason not to keep it on, I'm all ears

It is fake, serves no purpose and looks ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Frankie Raffaele said:

I'm okay with it not serving a purpose if I think it looks nice and isn't mechanically damaging to the gun. but to each his own i guess

I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish.  I could understand putting it on for pictures, but it doesn't even match the gun.  Shooting it?  Why?  

Whatever floats your boat, i guess.

Cons:

Get mistaken for an actual suppressor, resulting in anything from dirty looks or just being "that guy", to being kicked off the range, to having to explain to the NJSP and a Superior Court Judge that "it's just a prank, bro" after $30,000 in legal fees and the worst weekend you'll ever spend in Rahway.

Pros:

It looks like something from a video game?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Frankie Raffaele said:

sorry if this is a dumb question. I got this Pike Arms $30.00 fake can for my M9A3 because I like the way it looks. I know the general opinion in the firearms community about fake suppressors but since this is a NJ forum I don't expect tons of hate

All I want to know is if I'm doing any long term damage to the gun by shooting it with this cheap, heavy fake can on it. It feels as heavy as the gun itself. I know the M9A3 doesn't have a floating barrel so there's no feeding issues to worry about, but when I rack it it just sounds like, heavy or something. I haven't shot it yet, so I'm wondering is it ok to shoot with this heavy and cheap thing?

https://ibb.co/b8UGu7

Can you see your target with those factory sights over the fakery? Something tells me you'll need higher sights. 

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Why though?

Why does anyone buy a revolver that shoots shotgun ammo? Every time someone has evaluated that novelty its been shown to be less effective than any other traditional handgun for self defense. 

The answer? Because it's cool. The whole backbone of the pro 2a argument is that you should not have to show a reason or a purpose for buying any type of self defense tool. Why question the OP? 

To the OP; I don't like the idea, but if you do, rock on with yo bad self! 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Jon said:

The answer? Because it's cool.

Cool is subjective.  

To the OP, use it as a prop for pictures and don't shoot it attached to the gun.  It isn't worth the risk of you or the gun.  

I think it is a waste but I don't think it will cause any damage. To each their own. I think owning multiple AR-15 Platforms is a waste , especially when there are so many cooler firearms to own, but many would disagree with me. That's what makes this country great. Everyone can have an opinion.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

update, if anyone wants to know

took it to the range with the fake can yesterday, i let the rangemaster know before i took it out that i have a fake silencer and asked if it was cool, he actually thought it was awesome and asked if he could screw it on himself, which of course i let him

didn't work though. i fired the first round and, first of all we still have no idea what happened to the bullet, but the brass got stuck in the ejection port and left the slide stuck halfway. There was nothing on the target but it is basically a statistical impossibility that i missed, i had the target VERY close at first just to test the can bc the sights don't reach over the can and i wanted to see what i was aiming at.

the rangemaster was watching the whole time and he said he honestly believes that my first shot was coincidentally a blank, and that explains why the brass didn't eject (something about not having enough powder or something) but i don't know about that. He said i should try one more shot but i wasn't risking damage to the gun so i took it off and put 99 rounds through it just fine.

tl;dr - it doesn't work but my gun seems to be ok. still gonna keep it on when its in the display closet at home.

edit: also i obviously checked the inside of the can and it looks completely clean, so i really don't know what happened

1 hour ago, Frankie Raffaele said:

i had the target VERY close at first just to test the can bc the sights don't reach over the can and i wanted to see what i was aiming at.

Thought so. 

What are the odds of having a blank mixed in?. Unless you have blanks just lying around I am going to say it was a near squib that just made it out of the barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, capt14k said:

What are the odds of having a blank mixed in?. Unless you have blanks just lying around I am going to say it was a near squib that just made it out of the barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This.

Of all things to assume a "blank" would be the last thing on the list for me.

Unless you actually use blanks for some reason?

Well, if he put 99 rounds downrange after he took it off then either the 1st round without the can pushed the "can" round out without a detrimental effect or his statistical impossibility is now a statistic.  I think the "can" caused enough back pressure within the housing to restrict cycling of the action (a common real can problem) and tossed that head down range in some awful scary trajectory. Lucky it exited it at all without damage.  

7 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Did you check the barrel to see if you had a squib?  Anything rattling around inside the fake can?

What ammo were you using?

Why even bother

18 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Why even bother

10 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Throw the friggen thing in the garbage before you blow the gun up, blow off a finger or a hand or lose an eye.  

Ridiculous 

man, you're really bothered by the fact that I like the look of the fake can lol. it's alright i appreciate your right to have a closed mind.:rolleyes:

anyways i have my answer and don't know how to delete threads so i'm just gonna unsubscribe to it, thanks guys!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frankie Raffaele said:

man, you're really bothered by the fact that I like the look of the fake can lol. it's alright i appreciate your right to have a closed mind.:rolleyes:

You can lead a horse to water.........

On 4/18/2018 at 6:38 PM, Ray Ray said:

Why though?

because he can. can and should are always 2 different things, but he can

On 5/2/2018 at 7:41 AM, Frankie Raffaele said:

i had the target VERY close at first just to test the can bc the sights don't reach over the can and i wanted to see what i was aiming at.

this is where i personally start to object, as sights are kinda important.

i fear you had a squib on that first, and pray that im wrong. di you check the barren for obstructions after the round went missing? missing rounds are no bueno, your responsible for that round from primer strike untill its final resting place, so while it is YOUR gun and YOUR can and you can really do whatever makes YOU happy, i just implore you to make sure the thing is safe if you continue to use it.

im sure i do alot of things most people on forums woundnt agree with, modernized a tok, have a heavy ak that has no wood to be found, rely primarily on .30cal, dont own an ar, etc.... on my dream list is a krink clone, but that would be pined stock and pined barrel extention for this shithole state, wich defeats the purpose, but i like them.

its your gun do as you like just dont hurt me with it and were all cool

• Like 1

Im in the go for it camp. Why? Because I think there is information to be obtained.  For 30 bucks you can get to see how it is to operate a pistol with a hunk of metal hung out front and all the oddities that it brings to the table.  You may have learned its not at all what you expected. And if your future plans are to move to America, you may have saved yourself 1k and a 6 month wait to find out the same lessons. Additionally some people, myself included, need to be reminded now and then that sometimes its just for fun.  

• Like 5