Frankie Raffaele

is it okay to shoot my m9a3 with this cheap fake can?

I have to say I disagree with the doom and gloom crowd. If it was so inherently dangerous it wouldn't be on the market and the manufacturer as well as distributors and retailers would be sued out of business. It's a novelty that would blow up your firearm.

The ones saying squib load what do you think would have happened when he fired it without the fake can? Squib load likely didn't just fall out. It could have been near squib load, but more likely round was completely off its mark.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This reminds of the time a herd of gazelles got to the edge of a river in Africa.  Their instincts told them that they had to cross the river to survive.  But, there were crocodiles all over the banks waiting for them.  They all stood there wondering what to do.  Finally, one gazelle jumped into the river.  AND HE GOT DEAD!!!

So, don't be an idiot.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Throw the can off the Gothels Bridge and call it a day.

ouch, i wouldnt wish a trip to the gothels on anyone

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

I have to say I disagree with the doom and gloom crowd.

The ones saying squib load what do you think would have happened when he fired it without the fake can? Squib load likely didn't just fall out. It could have been near squib load, but more likely round was completely off its mark.

when is this place not doom and gloom?

fake can might not have anything to do with where the round went, but id still like to know where it went if it were mine. we all know (or should know) what can happen when a round hits a squib in a barrel, so id be willing to bet that not the case. its more then likely in the backstop somewhere, just not where intended.

• Like 2

fake can might not have anything to do with where the round went, but id still like to know where it went if it were mine. we all know (or should know) what can happen when a round hits a squib in a barrel, so id be willing to bet that not the case. its more then likely in the backstop somewhere, just not where intended.

If some of these guys saw half of what went on during wars or even some of what I've seen with Milsurps, for instance guys shooting bores clean or semis suddenly going full and people finding it fun, they would have a coronary. One of my favorite firing a rifle from behind a tree with a string.

27 minutes ago, capt14k said:

. One of my favorite firing a rifle from behind a tree with a string.

I got real close to doing that with a T53 once.... the thought was definitely there....

I should note that im assuming that im in a busy indoor range in the OPs scenario. there are different situations out there, especially in war zones (not that i have personal experience) Ive seen some weird stuff go down in milsim, and were like supposed to be normal people with day jobs there

I really hesitated to weigh in on this.. but I can't resist.. 

If you want an accessory on a gun because it looks cool.. I don't get it but whatever it should at least be functionally beneficial or at the very least be functionally safe..

to me.. a gun is a tool.. like a hammer.. I would not take my hammer and add some non-functioning accessory to make it look "cool".. especially something that is essentially a "fake" version of a real product... the whole "looking cool" thing goes like this in my head if I saw that.. 

"oh nice what suppressor is that.. "
"oh.. its not a suppressor.."
"oh what is it? whats it do?"
"its a fake suppressor.. it doesn't do anything" 

at that point whatever cool factor you perceived there to be is totally out the window.. the closest I ever came to that was a barrel shroud on a CX4 Beretta.. that lasted maybe a month.. then I came to the realization that the gun was simply heavier.. and off it came.. 

so with all that said.. thats really the point.. you put this thing on the gun to mimic a real working part that is not functional.. you make the weapon heavier... and potentially cause the gun to not cycle correctly.. or worse.. cause a catastrophic failure due to the round getting caught up in there somehow and having a second round strike it.. you potentially destroy part of the gun.. possibly injure yourself.. and possibly injure someone else.. for what? to play make believe? I am really struggling to understand how any of that is "cool"..

its a gun.. a gun when misused or with improper accessories.. can potentially be dangerous.. the threading is off or something and the round strikes the inside of that thing grenading metal all over the place.. 

seriously.. throw that thing in the trash.. 

9 hours ago, SuRrEaLNJ said:

ouch, i wouldnt wish a trip to the gothels on anyone

the fact that this accessory may have played a part in his round going so wildly out of control that he has no idea where it impacted... should in itself be enough to make him never want to use it again.. 

• Like 1

The posters advising the OP to chuck the can are basing this off their personal opinion.

*Do we absolutely know that the issue was with the can itself?

*Can the OP confirm there was no strike inside the can?

*Is the can concentric to the bore of the barrel?

Based on what the OP stated it could very well be a squib load that was encountered.

Regards,

TokenEntry

6 hours ago, vladtepes said:

the fact that this accessory may have played a part in his round going so wildly out of control that he has no idea where it impacted... should in itself be enough to make him never want to use it again.. 

more then enough to make me not use anything of the sort (sans for compliance maby)

im just kinda crossin my fingers that it was a whiff, kind of bein glad i wasnt present at the time

i just still have a hard time tellin the op what to do if i dont know that the device was at fault.

For all intents and purposes, its a tube! Take it off and look through it! Any signs of contact?

For all those wringing their hands about it hand grenading, it is made by a company that makes real suppressors. 

"Our 9MM Sub-Machine Gun (SMG) Fake Suppressor is as close to a real silensor as you can get without paying the tax stamp. Its CNC precision machined from solid aluminim with a durable hard black anodized finish identically to our real NFA registered suppressors. Since its a fake suppressor, the sound is not reduced and bullet impact is not changed."

Im more bothered by them calling it a silencer and their spelling errors than I would be shooting the pistol.

Vlad, we base our criteria around function. But think of all the people that are into replicas etc etc. Its their thing. Look at the sttuff stuck on a Kriss or a Scorpian. We may have no use for it but some people are into the asthetic or replica aspect I guess. As long as they are shooting safely, I dont harsh another persons kink :D

• Like 3

It's hilarious how much this topic is getting a bunch of guys' panties in a bunch.

If he wants to try using the fake can, let him use the fake can. Its his gun, it's his choice, holy shit. I think depending on the can they can look pretty cool and sometimes can complete someone's specific build.

Anywho, time to bring out some more hate!

e31ca1c238a6b188fe8ce697e22ceee0.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, vladtepes said:

at that point whatever cool factor you perceived there to be is totally out the window.. the closest I ever came to that was a barrel shroud on a CX4 Beretta.. that lasted maybe a month.. then I came to the realization that the gun was simply heavier.. and off it came.. 

Hey I resemble that remark..... Sure a little weight but it makes the gun itself look 100x better.

V2COKAj.jpg

19 minutes ago, RecessedFilter said:

If he wants to try using the fake can, let him use the fake can. Its his gun, it's his choice, holy shit.

If he's shooting on his own property out in the middle of nowhere? Why the hell not, I agree...but he isn't...

He's taking this to a public, indoor range, and like most ranges in NJ it's probably crowded. He could very well be there with someone standing on both sides of him only a few feet away. He can seriously hurt or injure not himself (that's his problem) but an unwitting bystander who had nothing to do with this at all. 

Like I said, I'm all for doing whatever the hell you want. If you're out in the woods in the middle of nowhere, go ahead and hip shoot, bump fire, see what X round does to an old TV set, have at it. When you are nearby other people you are not just a danger to yourself but a danger to others.

Long time ago I was at a public range and some guy was shooting reloads he made out of his .44 magnum. Cool, good for him. He probably made a few too hot. Cool, good for him. What it wasn't good for was the complete stranger shooting in the booth next to him, who was hospitalized when the cylinder on his revolver shattered...

The fake suppressor is made by a company that makes real suppressors? I did not realize that. In that case why the heck would any of you think it is unsafe to fire. Do you really think the same company can't make a tube without baffles to go over the end of barrel safely?

• Like 1

So this can should now be considered a destructive device and requires a tax stamp to use? Seriously, if this can was homemade by someone not using a CNC machine then I would agree it is dangerous to use in public. My biggest worry when I go to the range is getting muzzle swept by others than someone using a novelty item for their pleasure.

Regards,

TokenEntry

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mossburger said:

If he's shooting on his own property out in the middle of nowhere? Why the hell not, I agree...but he isn't...

He's taking this to a public, indoor range, and like most ranges in NJ it's probably crowded. He could very well be there with someone standing on both sides of him only a few feet away. He can seriously hurt or injure not himself (that's his problem) but an unwitting bystander who had nothing to do with this at all. 

Like I said, I'm all for doing whatever the hell you want. If you're out in the woods in the middle of nowhere, go ahead and hip shoot, bump fire, see what X round does to an old TV set, have at it. When you are nearby other people you are not just a danger to yourself but a danger to others.

Long time ago I was at a public range and some guy was shooting reloads he made out of his .44 magnum. Cool, good for him. He probably made a few too hot. Cool, good for him. What it wasn't good for was the complete stranger shooting in the booth next to him, who was hospitalized when the cylinder on his revolver shattered...

I get what you're saying but he said he took it off and shot another two boxes of ammo through it with no issues. Then checked the bore of the can and it was clear. If it was a squib, the bullet would have been lodged in either the barrel or the can. Plus it was made by a reliable suppressor company, not Bubba in his basement. 

It wasn't a squib. I'm willing to bet he simply missed the target altogether judging by the evidence of the low sights and unfamiliar weight from the can itself.

One thing that has to be taken into consideration is making sure the can is made and installed concentric to the bore. If the alignment is off, the bullet will strike the can and it goes bye-bye.

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Hey I resemble that remark..... Sure a little weight but it makes the gun itself look 100x better.

V2COKAj.jpg

cx4 was a really good gun.. I remember upgrading the trigger because it was kind of mushy.. but overall really fun.. and ridiculously accurate.. 

2 hours ago, RecessedFilter said:

It's hilarious how much this topic is getting a bunch of guys' panties in a bunch.

If he wants to try using the fake can, let him use the fake can. Its his gun, it's his choice, holy shit. I think depending on the can they can look pretty cool and sometimes can complete someone's specific build.

Anywho, time to bring out some more hate!

e31ca1c238a6b188fe8ce697e22ceee0.jpg

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that was done for compliance.. 

but while that gun "looks good" the non functioning suppressor will forever be silly to me.. I think it always reminds me of "fake suped up cars" that aren't actually fast.. 

comments not intended to be rude.. just saying that is my perception.. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that was done for compliance.. 

but while that gun "looks good" the non functioning suppressor will forever be silly to me.. I think it always reminds me of "fake suped up cars" that aren't actually fast.. 

comments not intended to be rude.. just saying that is my perception.. 

I believe what we're talking about are two different devices, shrouds and faux suppressors, in this thread. It looks to me that @RecessedFilter and @Krdshrk have are shrouds that go over/cover the rifle's barrel, while @Frankie Raffaele has is a faux suppressor that attaches to the end of a barrel and gives it additional length and weight. A very good point that @Shane45 made is that the OP's can was mfg'd by a company that puts out real suppressors. Adding a 30.00 novelty item is cheap fun compared to a bump stock.

Regards,

TokenEntry

6 minutes ago, TokenEntry said:

I believe what we're talking about are two different devices, shrouds and faux suppressors, in this thread. It looks to me that @RecessedFilter and @Krdshrk have are shrouds that go over/cover the rifle's barrel, while @Frankie Raffaele has is a faux suppressor that attaches to the end of a barrel and gives it additional length and weight. A very good point that @Shane45 made is that the OP's can was mfg'd by a company that puts out real suppressors. Adding a 30.00 novelty item is cheap fun compared to a bump stock.

Regards,

TokenEntry

"with the fake can on I couldn't use my sights"

sounds super fun? not really.. 

Just now, TokenEntry said:

It's a matter of personal opinion. If the OP had proper sights would you then agree it's fun to shoot?

Regards,

TokenEntry

any gun is "fun to shoot".. even guns I do not particularly like..

but again the point really is for me.. adding non functioning parts to a gun.. I just lack the ability to process it.. I just don't see the cool factor in a part that makes a gun more front heavy... more difficult to aim (needing to get suppressor sights).. while not adding any functional advantage.. I respect that everyone is different and has different opinions.. I just don't get it.. 

• Like 1

Here is what is amazing to me.  We, as a group, make recommendations on what to put on and NOT put on your firearm. 

Nobody says yes to putting on the "tactical nuts" that hang on an AR. 

Nobody says yes to a pistol mounted on the end of an AR.

Nobody says yes to a knife mounted on the AR.

Yet, I mention a fake can is stupid and he comes the forum to correct me.  Nope

The can is stupid, dangerous and ridiculous. 

Adios

Lasagna Ray 

Here is what is amazing to me.  We, as a group, make recommendations on what to put on and NOT put on your firearm. 
Nobody says yes to putting on the "tactical nuts" that hang on an AR. 
Nobody says yes to a pistol mounted on the end of an AR.
Nobody says yes to a knife mounted on the AR.
Yet, I mention a fake can is stupid and he comes the forum to correct me.  Nope
The can is stupid, dangerous and ridiculous. 

Adios
Lasagna Ray 

Well U.S. Military did have M7 bayonet at the end of the M16.

However I do agree about the first two.

I also agree the fake can is stupid. I can't agree it is dangerous as long as it is installed properly. I don't see it as any different than a barrel shroud.

42 minutes ago, capt14k said:

I also agree the fake can is stupid. I can't agree it is dangerous as long as it is installed properly. I don't see it as any different than a barrel shroud.

A barrel shroud goes OVER the barrel.  This does not.  

A barrel shroud goes OVER the barrel.  This does not.  
Ok it threads onto the barrel. So what is the difference between a fake can and a real suppressor?

43 minutes ago, capt14k said:

So what is the difference between a fake can and a real suppressor?

A fake can doesn't reduce the decibel levels.  A real suppressor does.

44 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Ok it threads onto the barrel. So what is the difference between a fake can and a real suppressor?

well for one in this instance it is pretty dangerous since he now lacks the ability to properly aim the gun.. and he "at a distance that was unlikely a miss" has no idea where the round he fired ended up..

I would categorize not being able to aim.. and having no idea where your shots are going as fairly dangerous.. LOL 

• Like 1

well for one in this instance it is pretty dangerous since he now lacks the ability to properly aim the gun.. and he "at a distance that was unlikely a miss" has no idea where the round he fired ended up..

I would categorize not being able to aim.. and having no idea where your shots are going as fairly dangerous.. LOL 
Yes I can agree with the not knowing where your shots are going being dangerous but I am sure this can be rectified with different sight setup. If so what is the difference between real and fake?