Gunsrlegal

Underground oil tank removal

We had our underground oil tank decommissioned approximately 25-years-ago when we switched to gas heat. At the time, minimal paperwork was required.

In preparation for ultimately selling my house I want to have the old oil tank removed. Obviously, I want it done properly and legally, with all required permits and paperwork. Has anyone had this done relatively recently? Any recommendations for a company to contact for a quote?

TIA

Was involved in the process a few years ago at a property my then-boss was investing in/building on. Was a PITA cuz the dirt kept coming in dirty and had to be replaced like 3 times. You're in no rush, it seems, so thats a plus. Just make sure you use a reputable company, otherwise its your head on a pike if you have any issues.

To be clear, i think he had some contamination issue or something. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.
The company who decommissioned it 25-years-ago is long gone.

Well so much for that idea. I’ve used Envirotactics out of Wall Township in the past, but it’s been about 10 years since I had to deal with an oil tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

This brings up an interesting issue.   So, anytime you sell a house you will be asked was there ever a tank.   You will say yes it has been removed.  You will provide the paperwork HOWEVER the new buyer may still want a soil sample or someone else to check it.   Let’s jjist say that a test comes back bad.    What do you as the seller do?   You pray that you go back and get recourse from the company.  What if they are gone?

if we lived in a world where a piece of paper from the company and a sign off from the town was suffice for every buyer then I’d say do it ahead of time.   But if there is a chance,  just a chance that years later someone says “contrninsted soil” then you are screwed.  

I think maybe I would go to contract with a buyer.   Tell them there is a tank and you will pay to have it removed.   The tank gets removed you show the buyer the documents they say okay you get the hell out of dodge.   Maybe I’m too conservative and buyers are like “yeah there was a tank but this piece of paper says we are good to go.”    But I’d just be too worried all the time “did they really get it all?”

if you do the removal at the time of sale the new buyers will much more confident it was done and you get to leave knowing the buyer said “it’s good”

• Like 1

@Barms, you bring up an interesting point. I never thought of that. Unfortunately, the oil tank is partially under my back stairs (brick and concrete). I'm afraid that if I wait to remove the tank and there is any damage to the back stairs the home sale could be extremely delayed. If I do it before the house is on the market then any damage can be repaired. I plan to sell in about a year, so hopefully there won't be any contamination problems after I get the paperwork.

@Tunaman, I would really appreciate an update after you get prices and decide who to use.

[mention=5054]Barms[/mention], you bring up an interesting point. I never thought of that. Unfortunately, the oil tank is partially under my back stairs (brick and concrete). I'm afraid that if I wait to remove the tank and there is any damage to the back stairs the home sale could be extremely delayed. If I do it before the house is on the market then any damage can be repaired. I plan to sell in about a year, so hopefully there won't be any contamination problems after I get the paperwork.
[mention=6231]Tunaman[/mention], I would really appreciate an update after you get prices and decide who to use.
Do it before you sell.

This next part is not advice, but hypothetically if tank were removed and fell off back of truck in woods on the way to have it tested there would be no records. Then you can truthfully answer

Q. Is there an underground storage tank?

A. Not to my knowledge.

The hypothetical only would come into play if one lived near any stream or other body of water.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

At one point the NJDEP had a fund to remove oil tanks from personal property. I don't know if it is still in place. I was in the Environmental business at the time and had a few connections. One company when testing for leaks drilled right through the bottom of the tank testing for soil contamination. Guess what? They found contaminated soil (which was caused by them. I happen to be going up to Clifton today to my sisters and will ask her what she had to do in the end.

There are a lot of companies that will rape you for taking out a tank if you know nothing on the subject.

We use Barco in Central NJ.  A purchaser can hire a company with a ground penetrating radar device to locate buried tanks, so getting rid of it in advance of sale is best.  If there's no contaminated soil below it shouldn't be too bad.  If there is, the company HAS to test and HAS to remove it.  That's where it can get expensive - disposing of 55 gallon drums of contaminated soil.  If the condition has polluted an aquifer (rare) it can cost a lot.

http://www.ssgbarco.com/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rtquig said:

At one point the NJDEP had a fund to remove oil tanks from personal property. I don't know if it is still in place. I was in the Environmental business at the time and had a few connections. One company when testing for leaks drilled right through the bottom of the tank testing for soil contamination. Guess what? They found contaminated soil (which was caused by them. I happen to be going up to Clifton today to my sisters and will ask her what she had to do in the end.

There are a lot of companies that will rape you for taking out a tank if you know nothing on the subject.

Unfortunately, that fund was closed a number of years ago.

Fyi.  I have worked for 2 remediation companies doing planting installs over the last 15 years.  Removing the tank is cheap.  What they want is a leaking oil tank.  Theyve hit pay dirt.  Thats when the ins co gets a big bill.  Barco has been around for many of years. If needed i can give you my 2 references.  Both reputable.  But thats what theyre all hoping for.  

A friend of mine was required to have a UST removed when he sold his house.  House was on a concrete slab - no basement. 

Contractor removing the tank noticed that the tank had been leaking.  They drilled a few holes in the concrete slab to see how far the leak had spread.  Then drilled more holes, and more holes.  The leak had spread under the whole house.

They tore down the house, removed the contaminated soil and left my friend with an empty lot to sell instead of a house.

That right there is the nightmare and why you can’t be careless about this.    People I think will really want to test again even though you have a “certification”

perhaos there is a way you can think of what the all in price of that demo work would be   Then just hang onto that and when you go to sell the house you list the house and then after the buyer learns of the tank you say “I’m giving a $xxxx credit for the demo work    

A friend of mine was required to have a UST removed when he sold his house.  House was on a concrete slab - no basement. 
Contractor removing the tank noticed that the tank had been leaking.  They drilled a few holes in the concrete slab to see how far the leak had spread.  Then drilled more holes, and more holes.  The leak had spread under the whole house.
They tore down the house, removed the contaminated soil and left my friend with an empty lot to sell instead of a house.

They could have extracted the soil without tearing the house down. What company was this and what was the value of the home?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

@maintenanceguy, while I genuinely doybt that will happen in my case, anything is possible. That's why I'm so nervous about having the tank removed. The way things have been going lately, this worst-case scenerio is a possibility; a small possibility, but still...

@Barms, I've been advised by a number of people in real estate and the personal experience of a friend who is selling her house to get this done well before the house goes on the market. A lot of people won't even consider a house with a decommissioned oil tank. I've got about a year before selling so it needs to be done sooner rather than later.

This is the first major work that I'm doing since my husband passed away so I'm worried about the entire process. But it's the only downside to an otherwise great house so I know that I have to do it soon. I truly appreciate everyone's advice and recommendations, it helps me feel a bit more confident.

• Like 1