Gunsrlegal

Underground oil tank removal

[mention=6275]maintenanceguy[/mention], while I genuinely doybt that will happen in my case, anything is possible. That's why I'm so nervous about having the tank removed. The way things have been going lately, this worst-case scenerio is a possibility; a small possibility, but still...
[mention=5054]Barms[/mention], I've been advised by a number of people in real estate and the personal experience of a friend who is selling her house to get this done well before the house goes on the market. A lot of people won't even consider a house with a decommissioned oil tank. I've got about a year before selling so it needs to be done sooner rather than later.
This is the first major work that I'm doing since my husband passed away so I'm worried about the entire process. But it's the only downside to an otherwise great house so I know that I have to do it soon. I truly appreciate everyone's advice and recommendations, it helps me feel a bit more confident.

Their advice is right. I also have me real estate license mainly to buy and sell my own investment properties. I will not touch a house with an underground oil tank. Honestly I usually avoided any houses without natural gas too so if it is an option connect to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Their advice is right. I also have me real estate license mainly to buy and sell my own investment properties. I will not touch a house with an underground oil tank. Honestly I usually avoided any houses without natural gas too so if it is an option connect to it.

We converted to natural gas many years ago (maybe 25?), which is why we have the decommissioned oil tank. Back then the rules were much more lax; in hindsight, we should have had the tank removed instead of decommissioned, but who knew?

We converted to natural gas many years ago (maybe 25?), which is why we have the decommissioned oil tank. Back then the rules were much more lax; in hindsight, we should have had the tank removed instead of decommissioned, but who knew?
All the more reason to get rid of that tank. I thought maybe you switched to an above ground tank.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

They could have extracted the soil without tearing the house down. What company was this and what was the value of the home?

I'm not sure how you extract the soil from underneath a whole house.

OK..  Had my tank removed yesterday.  No issues.  The company I used was Steve Rich and associates. They are located in Clifton. 1295 base price,  add 125 for permit  and .70 a gallon to remove the sludge.  Came out to 1500 total.  I am relieved.

• Like 1

OK..  Had my tank removed yesterday.  No issues.  The company I used was Steve Rich and associates. They are located in Clifton. 1295 base price,  add 125 for permit  and .70 a gallon to remove the sludge.  Came out to 1500 total.  I am relieved.
That is cheap.

Had this done 25 years ago. Watch out for the remediation company. They will take all your money and more. They will find oil in the soil 50 yards from the tank.  They will find one drop in a truckload of dirt. 

They wanted to rip my house foundation apart to further look for oil.

Eventually the NJ State dude checked it all out  and told them stop already. I got a report maybe 100 pages long - like they were inventing a nuclear bomb. 

The law is over the top in the first place and then the remediators make it worse with super conservative interpretations.

Good luck with the project.  

Now I know what I'm doing with all my used motor oil when the prick next door with the old oil tank goes on vacation. Yeee haaa!

You do know you can take used motor oil to any auto repair, car dealer, or the big auto parts stores in NJ. By law the auto repair and car dealers have to take it. However something tells me you aren't really worried about where to dispose of it and you already have the exact spots in mind.