Frank Rizzo

Yard Problems

19 minutes ago, Frank Rizzo said:

45..  we all have well water, no underground water pipes to my knowledge.  Strange,  his kids had a big sleepover last weekend, next day the water in my yard got worse.  Yeah, still a sh**ty situation.  

Strange indeed...

its-full.jpg

• Like 1

Are you sure it is the septic field? A long time ago, I had a friend who bypassed the septic with his washing machine. That water smelled worse than raw sewer. Perhaps the neighbor has done the same.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Old School said:

So does e coli virus

I clearly indicated it was a health hazard. I don't really see what the issue is with giving him the opportunity to fix the problem with out getting officials involved. 

If he get's a septic inspection done, and it fails, I believe that information is directly given to the county.  If he refuses, then by all means call up the health department. 

4 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I clearly indicated it was a health hazard. I don't really see what the issue is with giving him the opportunity to fix the problem with out getting officials involved. 

If he get's a septic inspection done, and it fails, I believe that information is directly given to the county.  If he refuses, then by all means call up the health department. 

I know what you're saying.  But he can't put a shovel in the ground without a permit and involving the health department.

28 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Uh oh. You’re probably drinking dookie in addition to walking in it.

LOL, OK... I wouldn't phrase it quite with Handyman's inimitable style (the man has really expanded my vocab the last couple of years)... but he's right. Not only would I talk to the neighbor NOW, but I'd give him 72 hours to get an inspector in, and I'd be drinking bottled water only until that inspector arrived and assessed the situation. OMG, if fecal matter (a.k.a. dookie) got into your well water? That would be soooo dangerous! 

1 hour ago, Handyman said:

Uh oh. You’re probably drinking dookie in addition to walking in it.

Too funny,  that word takes me back to childhood.  Fortunately for us, we had water tested by lab , it was clear except for low ph, treatment system covers that.  We only drink bottled water here from day one.  

Edited by Frank Rizzo
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

OMG, if fecal matter (a.k.a. dookie) got into your well water? That would be soooo dangerous! 

That's virtually impossible to happen from a next door septic system. Wells normally are deep enough and get their water from an underground aquifer. The water gets into that aquifer from a long distance away, depending on the depth of the well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sniper22 said:

That's virtually impossible to happen from a next door septic system. Wells normally are deep enough and get their water from an underground aquifer. The water gets into that aquifer from a long distance away, depending on the depth of the well.

Yeah, from the cursory amount I know about wells, I know you're right! That said, if my family's health depended on it, I would never want to take even the slimmest chance. You can never be completely 100% certain of how ground water is flowing, how secure or undamaged the well itself is, what cracks or fissures may have opened up over time, etc. Not to mention, if you're walking in the yard, that could be tracked in on the surface of shoes, clothing, etc.

I'm just saying, if it were me? I'd be all over that issue. There's a lot of things I'm very lax about, but human excrement floating on the surface of my property??...ummm, NO... that would not be one of those issues that I took a relaxed attitude about. 

Failed field if that's indeed from the septic, as mentioned before.  Specifically, it would fail the percolation test.  The field no longer has the absorption rate necessary to sustain the system.  They will need to move the field to an alternate location.  

This isn't something to sweep under the carpet, it's hazardous to you and your family and that's not acceptable.

• Like 1

Talk to your neighbor, he may not even know about it. his field is probably shot. Thats quite a few dollars. either way cooperate and play nice at first nothing worse than neighbor neighbor disputes, Ive taken hundreds of reports on it. 

I would say i think there is a problem with your field and its leaking onto my property and its a hazard, you can fill all you want. I think all thats gonna happen is you have deeper shitty mud. The field will get worse not better and yes the rain doesnt help either. suggest a field inspection probably about 350 dollars and go from there. or just blade at a 45 degree angle and pee on his leg to assert dominance.

A couple comments have made me wonder....you mention it happens in the spring; then dries-out; then another mentioned grey water run-off.

I wonder if the freezing weather and spring thaw have anything to do with this?

He might have a drywell or something for the washing machine that isn't deep enough (and freezes in the winter) causing the waterflow onto your side.

18 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Not necessarily. Before I retired a 3 years ago I worked for a municipal water/wastewater utility. I have had success with the NJDEP in having a cleaning business pay for monitoring 4 times a year for another 10 years as they had contaminated the groundwater with their chemicals. Our well is 900' deep. I've worked for an environmental company that tested gas stations that had leaks over 10 years ago and still have to test with up to 16 test wells in the area to see the contamination is still present.

You are correct when you say normally wells are deep enough that the rainwater does not get deep in certain areas depending what the soil formation and clay layers are like. In a confined aquifer, clay normally keeps the contaminants from entering but there are plenty of unconfined aquifers that allow contaminants to enter. A typical home owner well can be 40' to 300' depending on where the aquifer is located. Some aquifers get recharge from rain, others from streams, lakes and rivers.

You do not need the health department to put a shovel in the ground, you need a mark out to show there are no utilities that you will encounter, water, sewer, cable, gas, and  electric.

8 hours ago, AlDente67 said:

So the BBQ is off for tomorrow, I assume?

BBQ is on...  sh*tburgers for everyone.  Nasty but funny. 

Hope to see him out in the yard this weekend, will bring it up with him.  Also changed the subject of post because until I have a test done, I have dookie for proof and not much else.  Everyone, thanks for the feedback and will keep you updated. 

1 hour ago, Frank Rizzo said:

Hope to see him out in the yard this weekend, will bring it up with him.  Also changed the subject of post because until I have a test done, I have dookie for proof and not much else.  Everyone, thanks for the feedback and will keep you updated. 

If he's reluctant based on the cost, maybe go with the route that you'll front the cost for the test (with a tester you approve of), but if anything is found wrong, then he'll have to pay for it and of course get the repairs done.

Man that stinks (pun intended).  Nothing like telling your neigbor they may have a major costly issue.  How long has this been occurring?

I wouldn't wait until you see him by chance in the yard, unless he's out there all time.  I would talk to him ASAP.  This is one of those times you just have to rip the bandaid off quickly.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

If he's reluctant based on the cost, maybe go with the route that you'll front the cost for the test (with a tester you approve of), but if anything is found wrong, then he'll have to pay for it and of course get the repairs done.

I would not do that. It the Nieghbor problem and he has homeowners. Ask, tell, make

2 hours ago, Frank Rizzo said:

And it’s Field.

A failed septic system putting out that much water would happen all year round. I am in the camp it is dry well and grey water issue combined with the snow and rain we had. Definitely talk to the guy before running to the "authorities". Men should first try and handle things amongst themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1