Malice4you

When did it become OK...

When did it become OK in society to wear ripped jeans or ripped leggings or a t-shirt to a wake? Have I suddenly - at 35 - become an 'old' person? I went to a wake for a friend on Wednesday, and the things some people showed up in made me disappointed. I felt underdressed in dress pants and a dress shirt, instead of a full suit, but apparently some people felt it was appropriate to wear what might be appropriate to shop at Walmart to his wake. Not just jeans, but ripped jeans. Not just leggings/yoga pants, but ripped ones. Not just Tshirts, but some were stained/rumpled, like they were taken right off the laundry pile. I know *he* can't complain, but really? Show some respect for the guy when you come to pay your respects...

• Like 10

My opinion is that either they had no respect for him alive, or just didnt care to dress right. Like ok maybe not all of us has suits and ties but my family is a minimal dress shirt and pants and tie for wakes, When one of my family died  had a couple come in dirty clothes. And it was like a total disrespect! So idk whats wrong with "ppl" these days. but probably the same reason why the world is turning to shit. Stupidity has bred unchecked. just my 2 cents. Sorry For Your Loss @Malice4you

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

When did it become OK in society to wear ripped jeans or ripped leggings or a t-shirt to a wake? Have I suddenly - at 35 - become an 'old' person? I went to a wake for a friend on Wednesday, and the things some people showed up in made me disappointed. I felt underdressed in dress pants and a dress shirt, instead of a full suit, but apparently some people felt it was appropriate to wear what might be appropriate to shop at Walmart to his wake. Not just jeans, but ripped jeans. Not just leggings/yoga pants, but ripped ones. Not just Tshirts, but some were stained/rumpled, like they were taken right off the laundry pile. I know *he* can't complain, but really? Show some respect for the guy when you come to pay your respects...

I know how you feel. My whore of a sister in law wore a mini skirt to her grandma's funeral.

2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

I understand you are coming off work or it was all of a sudden and you didn't know but those would be my only excuses.  Man up, wash your ass and put on a tie.

I won't wear a tie, but i'll at least wear a nice shirt and slacks.

I think the "dress well" at a funeral/wake is long gone for a lot of people. It's just society taking another turn down hill. I usually don't wear ties but I will still wear a nice shirt and dress pants with nice dress shoes.

I think a very big part of it is where it is and what the community is like also. Lots of family in upstate NY and boonies PA and it's common to see jeans and work boots at a wedding or a t-shirt and shorts at a wake.

I went to a funeral for a coworker’s husband a few months back. After work, and wasn’t sure I was going to make it... but the polygraph I had scheduled for the next day was canceled about an hour beforehand.

I made sure I was shaved prior to going, and in neat/clean clothes (dress pants, button down shirt)... but I agree, what I saw there was unreal. We did have guys come straight from work, so really can’t call any of them out. But there were people in jeans and T-shirts with the sleeves cut off. The one that really pissed me off was my coworker’s daughter (his step-daughter). The dress she wore was so short, you thought she was going out to a club afterwards to pick up a guy for the night. The girl does have issues, like just out of drugs/borderline suicidal... but if I were related to her, I’d go off over that. Her step-father was fighting cancer for almost three years, and made her mother more stressed out within the two-three months before due to hospitalization.

Funeral I went to before that was a coworker, only a year or two older than myself. Was married for about two years, and had a less than a year old boy. Was scheduled for a day I was off, so made sure I was there... in a suit. We had people coming off work, but even still, some brought a change of clothes. I’m guessing most of the people there were friends, but same thing... jeans and T-shirts. More had dress clothes on, but I’d gauge about half didn’t.

Only time that was topped was the guy that used to wash our trucks... think it was a Baptist funeral, so mostly all were dressed appropriately. But the guy that helped him, a man in his late 50s that doesn’t have a license (don’t know why, but currently doing our trucks), was there with his father (his ride then, and currently). His father was in a white shirt with some odd script writing on it... and jeans. The guy had jeans, a yellow Fubu shirt, and a yellow do-rag. This was someone who was supposedly indebted to the deceased, who helped him numerous times, especially keeping him in his home... and you come dressed like a gangster Big Bird?

12 hours ago, Old School said:

But did she wear it well?  This didn't happen without pics....

No pics but yes she is hot, former stripper with an ass and boob job.   Once she starts talking you would realize she is the ugliest chick on the planet though.

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

No pics but yes she is hot, former stripper with an ass and boob job.   Once she starts talking you would realize she is the ugliest chick on the planet though.

That's why every funeral parlor should have at least one stripper pole.

• Like 2

Not defending it, but look how society accepts how people now dress while going to school, going to church, etc.

Depending on you age, you may or not remember how big of a deal it was to walk around the block, sporting your Easter wear that day.

The young parents and adults of today don't pass these values down to their children, so the children don't know the expectations.

Society as a whole has spiralled into the shitter. It gets worse every year and based on trends, will continue to do so.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1