RickyRacoon

Moving to N.J. With Guns. Please Help!

I’ll be moving to N.J. shortly. I currently own a glock (which from what I have been able to gather is perfectly legal to transport and own without registration) and a AR (which I’m sadly going to have to leave behind because I don’t want to have the poor guy neutered). I was thinking about buying a shotgun to replace the empty void the departure of my AR will inevitably cause me. I was going to do so in my current state and take it with me when I move to N.J. My questions are:

1. Can the shotgun I purchase have a pistol grip

2. Am I allowed to bring an out of state shotgun to NJ

3. Are there any other restrictions besides a pistol grip that would make the shotgun illegal or non jersey compliant (I don’t know if a pistol grip would be an issue, but it seems like anything which looks scary is an issue in N.J.)

4. Is there any way to just change out either the upper or lower of an ar to make it compliant? I really don’t want to have to pin/weld the original muzzle mechanism (it is not a flash rather a compensator). But right now it does have a pistol grip, adjustable stock, and the non pinned/welded compensator which from my understanding makes it non compliant.

Apologies if this is a redundant topic. I have tried very hard to scour the internet, NJSP website, and read the laws but I am now more confused than before. Thank you for any advice.

Pump shotgun you are good to go. Semi Auto too many restrictions and I don't own any so I never paid them much attention.

AR you can swap the upper for a compliant one and non adjustable stock with 15 round limit.

There is no registration needed of any firearms when moving to NJ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, RickyRacoon said:

I’ll be moving to N.J. shortly. I currently own a glock (which from what I have been able to gather is perfectly legal to transport and own without registration) and a AR (which I’m sadly going to have to leave behind because I don’t want to have the poor guy neutered). I was thinking about buying a shotgun to replace the empty void the departure of my AR will inevitably cause me. I was going to do so in my current state and take it with me when I move to N.J. My questions are:

1. Can the shotgun I purchase have a pistol grip

2. Am I allowed to bring an out of state shotgun to NJ

3. Are there any other restrictions besides a pistol grip that would make the shotgun illegal or non jersey compliant (I don’t know if a pistol grip would be an issue, but it seems like anything which looks scary is an issue in N.J.)

4. Is there any way to just change out either the upper or lower of an ar to make it compliant? I really don’t want to have to pin/weld the original muzzle mechanism (it is not a flash rather a compensator). But right now it does have a pistol grip, adjustable stock, and the non pinned/welded compensator which from my understanding makes it non compliant.

Apologies if this is a redundant topic. I have tried very hard to scour the internet, NJSP website, and read the laws but I am now more confused than before. Thank you for any advice.

1-No. Pistol grip on a semi auto makes it an assault gun. Pump action are good to go.

2-Yes. Shotguns, riffles, pistols. Anything that's NJ compliant and was purchased legally while you were a resident of the state where you purchased them. There's no mandatory registration.

3-  WHAT FIREARMS ARE LEGAL TO OWN

• In NJ you may not own an "assault firearm", an Assault firearm is defined in NJ by either of the following criteria. 1) An "assault firearm" can be any one of the guns listed by NJ. If the firearm is listed by name, it is illegal and you can NOT own it in NJ. 2) An "assault firearm" can also be any firearm that is "substantially identical" to the firearms listed by name. "Substantially identical" is defined by a group of characteristics listed below, if a firearm is "substantially identical" you may not own it.
    (notice that the following information does NOT apply to revolver pistols, or pump shotguns)

A semi-automatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

This means that if it is a semi-automatic shotgun and has a detachable magazine it can have ONE of the following features and still be legal, but if it has two or more, then it would not be legal.

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of six rounds;

**note(having (1 - Folding stock) (2) or (3) on a semi auto shotgun makes the gun automatically illegal even if NO other evil features are present..)**

(4) An ability to accept a detachable magazine;

OR

A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a folding stock or a pistol grip;

It is important to note that the law states that the following is to be considered an assault weapon.

(3) A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a pistol grip, or a folding stock.

Example

1) A Saiga 12 (which is a semi automatic shotgun ). LEGAL

2) A Saiga 12 (which is a semi automatic shotgun ) with a pistol grip. ILLEGAL

Since "pistol grip" is a term NJ uses to describe a feature, it is important to know what NJ deems a pistol grip. Take notice that it does not say fired comfortably with one hand.. it simply says fired..

"Pistol grip" means a well defined handle, similar to that found on a handgun, that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, and which permits the firearm to be held and fired with one hand.

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29389-read-before-posting-nj-gun-law-faq/

4-Yes but you still need to pin the stock. Also, check the link above for a list of rifles banned by name.

From the link above:

A semi-automatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

This means that if it is a semi-automatic rifle and has a detachable magazine it can have ONE of the following features and still be legal, but if it has two or more, then it would not be legal.

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) A bayonet mount;

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;

(5) A grenade launcher

Example

1) An AR15 (which is a semi automatic rifle that has a detachable magazine ) with a pistol grip. LEGAL

2) An AR15 (which is a semi automatic rifle that has a detachable magazine ) with a pistol grip AND a flash hider. ILLEGAL

WP22–thank you. This is very helpful. I own a stag arms 3 gun. These are the specs:

1. Doesnt  have a flash suppressor or threaded barrel (does have compensator)

2. Doesn’t have bayonet Mount or grenade launcher

3. Does have pistol grip

4. Does have detachable mag

5. Does have adjustable  stock

so from what you outlined it looks like all I have to do is the following to make compliant:

1. Pin the adjustable stock

ia that correct?

Do I have to get the muzzle welded in any way if it’s just a compensator? 

WP22–thank you. This is very helpful. I own a stag arms 3 gun. These are the specs: 1. Doesnt  have a flash suppressor or threaded barrel (does have compensator)

2. Doesn’t have bayonet Mount or grenade launcher

3. Does have pistol grip

4. Does have detachable mag

5. Does have adjustable  stock

so from what you outlined it looks like all I have to do is the following to make compliant:

1. Pin the adjustable stock

ia that correct?

Do I have to get the muzzle welded in any way if it’s just a compensator? 

That is correct. I assume the compensator is bolt on or already welded on? As long as barrel is not threaded nothing more to do after the stock is pinned.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I’m sorry to sound naive here but I’ve never had to deal with welding/pinning/bolting a muzzle mechanism. So at the risk of sounding green, how would one tell if the compensator was in deed welded/bolted on. 

If bolt on there would be bolts. I'm not even sure there is such a thing as a bolt on muzzlebrake for an AR-15. If not bolted it would be welded or threaded. Are you sure it isn't threaded on? If yes and there are no bolts that leaves welded. Unless of course someone did something really dumb like glued it on, but I've only seen Century do that with scope bases.

Ricky, please be aware that there is a new version of an “assault weapon” ban making its way through the NJ legislature currently.  This may restrict legal AR configurations in NJ even further than what’s discussed above.

There is also a new magazine restriction bill that would limit magazines for your glock and AR to 10 rounds.

Things may change prior to or shortly after your move here.  Keep checking in.

Thank you everyone! I’m very appreciative of your insights.

I would love to be in PA but it’s in unfortunately not a possibility right now.

I’ll post a couple pics of the muzzle compensator. I don’t know if a keen eye will be able to tell me if it looks bolted or welded on. I don’t think it’s pinned. I’ve seen one pinned AR and I could simply tell because under the break; however, I’m just not sure if there’s other ways to weld that wouldn’t leave that tell tale signal.

DirtyDigz: I saw that the capacity limit could drop to ten rounds. I didn’t see anything else related to “assault weapons” pop up. Are they talking all out ban and having people turn the guns in?

66F78498-B819-497C-9597-D1A236867850.png

I’ve tried uploading some other pics but they seem too big to upload. Maybe I’ll stag arms and try to figure this out as well.

Losing faith I’ll be able to bring my AR to N.J. I guess if it is threaded I’ll have to buy a new upper and have the stock pinned and at that point I might as well buy a new shotgun. Maybe I can ask advice on that. What shotgun would one recommend for home defense (I don’t even know if that’s a dirty word in N.J.)? I was thinking Mossberg 590A1. Not trying to break the bank but also not looking for a piece of crap. Anyone have thoughts since it looks like N.J. will be taking a piece of me when I have to leave my AR. I’d like to buy in my state and take to N.J. because I don’t want to jump through the hoops it seems to take to acquire a firearm in N.J. Am I wrong in that statement? Do I have to acquire permits/go through a long process to buy a shotgun? Or is that strictly reserved for handguns/evil weapons like AR’s?

Sounds like PA is a favorite choice for many, but unfortunately it really isn’t in the cards right now. Maybe one day. Or maybe N.J. will become gun friendly? One can dream can’t they?

14 minutes ago, RickyRacoon said:

I’ve tried uploading some other pics but they seem too big to upload. Maybe I’ll stag arms and try to figure this out as well.

Losing faith I’ll be able to bring my AR to N.J. I guess if it is threaded I’ll have to buy a new upper and have the stock pinned and at that point I might as well buy a new shotgun. Maybe I can ask advice on that. What shotgun would one recommend for home defense (I don’t even know if that’s a dirty word in N.J.)? I was thinking Mossberg 590A1. Not trying to break the bank but also not looking for a piece of crap. Anyone have thoughts since it looks like N.J. will be taking a piece of me when I have to leave my AR. I’d like to buy in my state and take to N.J. because I don’t want to jump through the hoops it seems to take to acquire a firearm in N.J. Am I wrong in that statement? Do I have to acquire permits/go through a long process to buy a shotgun? Or is that strictly reserved for handguns/evil weapons like AR’s?

Sounds like PA is a favorite choice for many, but unfortunately it really isn’t in the cards right now. Maybe one day. Or maybe N.J. will become gun friendly? One can dream can’t they?

The brake can be pinned on. Several vendors here. Also, jus purchase a magpul fixed stock. Easy breezy 

Asking on here what SG to get for home defense will get ugly, kinda like going on a car forum and asking whats the best oil, lol. Truth is any gun that works is good enough, if it has a flashlight it's even better. 

When you live here you should apply and get your Firearms Purchaser Identification card (FPID or FID) it makes transportation of long guns a little more legal. To buy pistols here is a wholenotherstory... getting this card is not as big a deal as it's made out to be, it's just a wating game. To answer a question you are going to have when applying, YES your references can live out of state.

What part of jersey are you moving to? Ever shoot a 3 gun match? If your interested in getting started get the Stoger M3K.

Louu: hahaha! Too true, I guess everyone has a favorite SG and opinion. I have done any competition shooting yet but would like to. I will definitely check out the Stoger, thank you for the recommendation! So if I did want to wait until moving to N.J. before buying my SG do I HAVE to get the FID? Or is it walk in to the shop, they do a quick background check, and I can walk out same day?

We’re looking at a couple areas. Mainly around the Princeton Junction/Lawrenceville vicinity. From what I read it’s an alright area, am I right on that account? Thanks again!

1 hour ago, RickyRacoon said:

Louu: hahaha! Too true, I guess everyone has a favorite SG and opinion. I have done any competition shooting yet but would like to. I will definitely check out the Stoger, thank you for the recommendation! So if I did want to wait until moving to N.J. before buying my SG do I HAVE to get the FID? Or is it walk in to the shop, they do a quick background check, and I can walk out same day?

We’re looking at a couple areas. Mainly around the Princeton Junction/Lawrenceville vicinity. From what I read it’s an alright area, am I right on that account? Thanks again!

Yes you need to get the FPID before you can buy any long guns in NJ. Once you have it, you can walk into any gun store, fill out a certificate of eligibility -that's another NJ thing- fill out a 4473, pass a background check and go on your merry way. You also need  a FPID to buy any pistol caliber ammunition. 

To buy any hand gun the process is even more convoluted.

In my opinion, buy whatever guns your heart desires before moving to NJ. Through the process in place, NJ actively disincourages gun ownership and it's about to get much worse. 

3 hours ago, RickyRacoon said:

DirtyDigz: I saw that the capacity limit could drop to ten rounds. I didn’t see anything else related to “assault weapons” pop up. Are they talking all out ban and having people turn the guns in?

Ricky - the new "assault weapon" bill is not an outright ban for AR types (although I'm sure they thought about it), but as currently written it becomes even more restrictive for semi-auto rifles - you can only have one "evil feature" on a semi-auto rifle:  a pistol grip *OR* a muzzle brake *OR* a removable magazine.

It's not law (yet), it's still in the legislature, but NJ is now completely democrat controlled all the way up to the governor, so there is a good chance it will pass.

I'll try and water it down a bit. It's overwhelming and sometimes all the laws are confusing.

99% chance your barrel is thread and your brake is removeable on your AR. There are numerous gunshop/smiths in NJ to pin that brake on and shave the bayonet lug if you have one. It'll prob cost between $40-80. Get a fixed AR stock and 15rd mags and you're all set.

Pump shotgun laws are pretty lenient. Pistol grips are ok, adjustable stock is ok, bayonet lugs ok. Really the only thing you need to pay attention to is barrel length with is the same as federal law (minimum 18" barrel). 

Semi auto shotguns are more restrictive but not terrible.

I'd buy anything you're looking at before moving here. The FID process can take a long time and you'll just be waiting and waiting. Apply for your FId and handgun permits at your local police station or possible state police. It'll take anywhere between 2 weeks to 6 months to pass or get denied. Fid is used to buy all guns, handgun permits are for handguns specifically. Long guns can be bought with just your FID. All background checks and state and local laws must be followed through transactions.

Also, Google "NJ state police AWB" and spend some time to read the documents about our laws. There are some grey areas but A LOT of the laws are stated in the documents. 

All,

thank you for educating an out of towner! I appreciate all of your updates. I have one more question. I don’t see why this isn’t possible and probably overthinking at this point but I wanted to run something by you guys. If I bought this NJ compliant upper https://www.stagarms.com/stag-15-minimalist-upper/

and attached to my current AR lower which is this https://www.stagarms.com/stag-15-3gun-elite/

would there be any issues with mixing and matching different models of lowers and uppers of the same manufacturer. I don’t think so but what do you guys think.

if it’s okay I’d just have to find a vendor to pin the stock since then I would have a pinned/welded barrel, fixed stock, pistol grip, detachable mag, no grenade launcher, and no bayonet lug.

If you like your adjustable stock (I assume 6 position LE stock, but most any can be pinned easily enough), just do your own. If I can do it, anyone can.

Find a spot on the stock where you won't interfere with the guns operation, mine have been into the locking slot of the buffer tube and into the front of the stock (closest to the action)

Go to local hardware store and find roll pins, of a fairly small diameter but sized slightly larger than your drill bit, around 3/32" to 1/8", length i'd say 1/2" to 3/4", maybe 1", will depend on where you select on stock and stock itself. Use calipers to measure diameter and length you'll need for spot you want. I believe you want to blind pin it so it can't be tapped through, not sure if this is required.

Mark spot, make double sure you're not going into buffer tube itself, and that you are happy with length, use a drill press and drill an appropriate hole.

Press in roll pin til flush and verify stock doesn't move.

On 4/21/2018 at 7:46 AM, DirtyDigz said:

Ricky, please be aware that there is a new version of an “assault weapon” ban making its way through the NJ legislature currently.  This may restrict legal AR configurations in NJ even further than what’s discussed above.

There is also a new magazine restriction bill that would limit magazines for your glock and AR to 10 rounds.

Things may change prior to or shortly after your move here.  Keep checking in.

^^^ Good advice ^^^

1 hour ago, RickyRacoon said:

All,

thank you for educating an out of towner! I appreciate all of your updates. I have one more question. I don’t see why this isn’t possible and probably overthinking at this point but I wanted to run something by you guys. If I bought this NJ compliant upper https://www.stagarms.com/stag-15-minimalist-upper/

and attached to my current AR lower which is this https://www.stagarms.com/stag-15-3gun-elite/

would there be any issues with mixing and matching different models of lowers and uppers of the same manufacturer. I don’t think so but what do you guys think.

if it’s okay I’d just have to find a vendor to pin the stock since then I would have a pinned/welded barrel, fixed stock, pistol grip, detachable mag, no grenade launcher, and no bayonet lug.

That right, except brace yourself for the single feature change because it's coming.  There are several ways to maintain an AR platform even with this.

That right, except brace yourself for the single feature change because it's coming.  There are several ways to maintain an AR platform even with this.
Those NY alien guns are AR in name only.

On 4/21/2018 at 9:52 AM, RickyRacoon said:

Mainly around the Princeton Junction/Lawrenceville vicinity. From what I read it’s an alright area, am I right on that account? Thanks again!

Lawd, those areas are full of entitled rich white liberals. PA is really not that far from there. Save yourself

• Like 1