RecessedFilter

Anyone own a GP100 or S&W 686/627 I can try out?

So I shot a revolver maybe 10 years ago and I barely remember it. I think it was a Taurus .357 with a short barrel. It was fun but the short barrel was a bit much. Since then, I have been more interested in semi-auto's but have recently gotten a fancy for looking into one.

I'm exclusively looking at the Ruger GP100 and multiple offerings from S&W like the 686, 686ssr, 627, 627pc with somewhere between a 4-6" barrel. Honestly I'm leaning towards the Smith's.

Does anyone own any of these or even better multiple? I would love to try them out before dropping some coin on one. I will be ordering some factory .38 and .357 ammo soon so I will gladly provide my own ammo for both of us to shoot.

In terms of a range, TTC and Somerset Cty range if you're a member would be great as they're in my area but I'd be willing to travel a bit outside of central NJ if need be.

P.S. - I'm not as active on here as I used to be with life so busy lately but for any newer members, no, I'm not a lingerie-clad babe looking for any hanky panky!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RecessedFilter said:

So I shot a revolver maybe 10 years ago and I barely remember it. I think it was a Taurus .357 with a short barrel. It was fun but the short barrel was a bit much. Since then, I have been more interested in semi-auto's but have recently gotten a fancy for looking into one.

I'm exclusively looking at the Ruger GP100 and multiple offerings from S&W like the 686, 686ssr, 627, 627pc with somewhere between a 4-6" barrel. Honestly I'm leaning towards the Smith's.

Does anyone own any of these or even better multiple? I would love to try them out before dropping some coin on one. I will be ordering some factory .38 and .357 ammo soon so I will gladly provide my own ammo for both of us to shoot.

In terms of a range, TTC and Somerset Cty range if you're a member would be great as they're in my area but I'd be willing to travel a bit outside of central NJ if need be.

P.S. - I'm not as active on here as I used to be with life so busy lately but for any newer members, no, I'm not a lingerie-clad babe looking for any hanky panky!

I have a j frame you are more than free to try. I try to Hit TTC once a month. Pm me.

3 hours ago, RecessedFilter said:

I was very interested until I say this.  VERY disappointed.  :)

How you been ReccessedFilter!

I have a well broken in GP100 with 4".  Trigger is like budda.  I can try to meet up with you at TTC some time.  I've only been there once or twice but it's not too far from me.  Let me know if you plan on meeting Zeke or Griz and we can try to make it a mini NJGF get together!

I also shoot out in Easton at EFGA.  Now that weather is warming up I need an excuse to get out there soon.

• Like 1

Wow thanks a lot everyone! That's what I love about our community, everyone is always willing to help one another out.

5 hours ago, sota said:

I smell a recover shootout forming.

Revolver shootout!? Maybe at EFGA? That sounds like a good idea to me. I know not everyone is close to Easton but maybe we can work something out? I have a guest pass and I'm sure you guys do too so we could definitely bring in everyone.

Seriously, who'd be down for one on a Saturday or Sunday morning in the next few weeks?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RecessedFilter said:

Wow thanks a lot everyone! That's what I love about our community, everyone is always willing to help one another out.

Revolver shootout!? Maybe at EFGA? That sounds like a good idea to me. I know not everyone is close to Easton but maybe we can work something out? I have a guest pass and I'm sure you guys do too so we could definitely bring in everyone.

Seriously, who'd be down for one on a Saturday or Sunday morning in the next few weeks?

I have my EFGA pass+guest here as well.

Pick some dates and throw them out there.  Maybe saturday with the same sunday as an alternate (rain.)

6 hours ago, RecessedFilter said:

im in for a Sunday...I have a new 686-4 i need to shoot 

21 minutes ago, alec.mc said:

Jesus, what is that picture like 8 years old ? Where did it even come from.  

7 years ago, from the archives

If your gonna do that, at least use a cool picture of me. 

impossible

Edit: that grip technique is horrendous

i taught you well

Damn, I haven't gone to EFGA frequently in a while. I can't believe how much shit they have going on, especially weekends. And a work party like every other weekend too.

The open days look like:

- Saturday May 12 (rimfire pistol range closed but we'll use center-fire)

- Saturday May 19 (3 gun comp but only rifle and action range will be closed)

May 13 mother's day, may 20 work day ranges closed until completion, may 26 weekend is memorial day. 

I'm down for either day. Anyone else?

Pro tip, when comparing gun to gun - I wouldn't nessasary base your determination on which trigger is better over one another, or which grip is nicer, or sights, etc. These are all things that can vary from same model gun to gun. And all of these things can be upgraded.

Concentrate on feel, caliber, weight, etc. 

I have a ton of revolvers, but they are all competition tuned, so it would be an unfair comparison over a new factory gun. Even a 686 that is 20-30 years old with likely feel tons better in the trigger over a new model. 

Just food for thought. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, alec.mc said:

Pro tip, when comparing gun to gun - I wouldn't nessasary base your determination on which trigger is better over one another, or which grip is nicer, or sights, etc. These are all things that can vary from same model gun to gun. And all of these things can be upgraded.

Concentrate on feel, caliber, weight, etc. 

I have a ton of revolvers, but they are all competition tuned, so it would be an unfair comparison over a new factory gun. Even a 686 that is 20-30 years old with likely feel tons better in the trigger over a new model. 

Just food for thought. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Definitely this

Can't tell you how many times I've read, on this forum and others, of someone springing for the extra bucks for a Performance Center revolver because of the "tuned" trigger. Balderdash. Buy the gun because you like the gun, not because of the items mentioned in Alec's post - they can all be easily changed. 

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

There are a couple things  I want to address. 

Bob and Alec, thanks for the info guys. I do realize what you're saying and I am deciding based on feel/comfort, how it shoots, weight, barrel length. Honestly, I may be looking at pro/performance models but it's pretty much based solely on looks versus anything else. That's actually how why I started looking at them. The SSR and other models with the undercut barrel and the "extras" is appealing to me. Bob, hope all is well man haven't seen you in a while.

I was able to meet up with a bunch of forum members (thanks very much for the invite!) and they were VERY generous in letting me handle and shoot plenty of wheel guns. I won't name them for privacy but if they want to post they can. Shot a slew of different brands and models, everything from a Taurus 608 6" to a GP100 4" and a bunch of S&W's. I got a nice taste of variety and I had a huge smile on my face the whole time! 

I know we all hear Taurus get shit on all the time but they no doubt spend time on their revolvers. The 608 shot excellent and the 6" barrel was long but manageable. The GP100's trigger was smoooooth but it's also because Member #1 bought it before I was born! The S&W 66 was surprisingly a comfortable shot despite it's smaller size. Shooting .357 full power loads out of that was like hold on for the ride! Member #2 had all his s&W's out and the SSR was everything I thought it would be and more. What a beautiful looking revolver. I forget revolvers are also made in 9mm/45/.22 so it was fun taking those for a ride too. I really like the feel of shooting a 9mm and 45, just a light push of felt recoil. Ammo consolidation with semi-auto pistols is a nice plus also.

I still haven't made up my mind yet but the Taurus and SSR we're probably my favorite. The Taurus 6" was really nice and my 8 shits of .357 showed my liking for it (see picture). The SSR wasn't stout at all as I thought it would be with the 4" barrel, it soaked up recoil well.

I've heard through the years many ppl say revolvers take some finesse to shoot, and shoot well. I definitely can agree with that. The felt recoil and where the recoil is felt in your hands is completely different than a semi-auto. I feel like finding the right grip that works for you takes some time also and I'll be working on that in the future as well.

My last point is the awesome community shooters have. We are all regular people that enjoy a right, hobby, competition, hunt, etc, but it's amazing how shooting brings people so close. I started this thread like a week ago and I already had numerous people saying hey I've got this or that you can try, and only a week later here I was at the range with a dozen in front of me. Im very appreciative during times like these. It's just really cool how generous and kind most fellow shooters are, plain and simple.

Anyway, enough of the chit chat. Here is the better part and what we love, pictures!

Taurus 608 and one big hole :-)

IMG_20180425_185934167.jpg

Smith SSR

IMG_20180425_180934418.jpg

IMG_20180425_192428722.jpg

Misc:

IMG_20180425_184727163.jpg

IMG_20180425_184123876.jpg

66 with some neat shroud grips
IMG_20180425_191402792.jpg

IMG_20180425_190942739.jpg

IMG_20180425_183434844.jpg