RecessedFilter

Anyone own a GP100 or S&W 686/627 I can try out?

Shooting common ammo is a consideration but nothing gives you the OTC ammo variety of a 357.  Wadcutters, std velocity,  +P,  +P+, and full 357s.  Power level for whatever your needs.

Seems to me there is a lot of 357 ammo out there that is downloaded from SAAMI maximum pressures.  There is also 357 ammo that is loaded up to maximum pressures.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RecessedFilter said:

There are a couple things  I want to address. 

Bob and Alec, thanks for the info guys. I do realize what you're saying and I am deciding based on feel/comfort, how it shoots, weight, barrel length. Honestly, I may be looking at pro/performance models but it's pretty much based solely on looks versus anything else. That's actually how why I started looking at them. The SSR and other models with the undercut barrel and the "extras" is appealing to me. Bob, hope all is well man haven't seen you in a while.

I was able to meet up with a bunch of forum members (thanks very much for the invite!) and they were VERY generous in letting me handle and shoot plenty of wheel guns. I won't name them for privacy but if they want to post they can. Shot a slew of different brands and models, everything from a Taurus 608 6" to a GP100 4" and a bunch of S&W's. I got a nice taste of variety and I had a huge smile on my face the whole time! 

I know we all hear Taurus get shit on all the time but they no doubt spend time on their revolvers. The 608 shot excellent and the 6" barrel was long but manageable. The GP100's trigger was smoooooth but it's also because Member #1 bought it before I was born! The S&W 66 was surprisingly a comfortable shot despite it's smaller size. Shooting .357 full power loads out of that was like hold on for the ride! Member #2 had all his s&W's out and the SSR was everything I thought it would be and more. What a beautiful looking revolver. I forget revolvers are also made in 9mm/45/.22 so it was fun taking those for a ride too. I really like the feel of shooting a 9mm and 45, just a light push of felt recoil. Ammo consolidation with semi-auto pistols is a nice plus also.

I still haven't made up my mind yet but the Taurus and SSR we're probably my favorite. The Taurus 6" was really nice and my 8 shits of .357 showed my liking for it (see picture). The SSR wasn't stout at all as I thought it would be with the 4" barrel, it soaked up recoil well.

I've heard through the years many ppl say revolvers take some finesse to shoot, and shoot well. I definitely can agree with that. The felt recoil and where the recoil is felt in your hands is completely different than a semi-auto. I feel like finding the right grip that works for you takes some time also and I'll be working on that in the future as well.

My last point is the awesome community shooters have. We are all regular people that enjoy a right, hobby, competition, hunt, etc, but it's amazing how shooting brings people so close. I started this thread like a week ago and I already had numerous people saying hey I've got this or that you can try, and only a week later here I was at the range with a dozen in front of me. Im very appreciative during times like these. It's just really cool how generous and kind most fellow shooters are, plain and simple.

Anyway, enough of the chit chat. Here is the better part and what we love, pictures!

Taurus 608 and one big hole :-)

IMG_20180425_185934167.jpg

Smith SSR

IMG_20180425_180934418.jpg

IMG_20180425_192428722.jpg

Misc:

IMG_20180425_184727163.jpg

IMG_20180425_184123876.jpg

66 with some neat shroud grips
IMG_20180425_191402792.jpg

IMG_20180425_190942739.jpg

IMG_20180425_183434844.jpg

IMG_20180425_194509367.jpg

Muscle!

Drez

Seems you are falling for the SSR - and rightfully so, but be aware that on that particular gun the sights and grip were changed from how it comes. Not a big deal, and easily duplicated. Front sight is the interchangeable variety, probably a HiViz, Dawson Precision or SDM, about $30 - $35 and about 30 seconds. Rear sight is an LPA Target - just screws into the existing holes in the top strap. Current going rate for these is about $115 (hint: for about the same money, you can get a Bowen Rough Country sight - considerably more rugged - I have both). The grip is the one that comes stock on Smith's X-frames and has a recoil absorbing insert at the top of the backstrap (which is covered with these grips) about $36 from the S&W store. Smith's exclusive on these must have expired because I understand they are now also available directly from Hogue (unconfirmed, but that's what I heard). Kudos to whoever belongs to that gun - it's set-up exactly like my Brazil 586-4 (.38 Special) - great minds and all that.

Keep us informed.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

6 hours ago, RecessedFilter said:

There are a couple things  I want to address. 

66 with some neat shroud grips

IMG_20180425_191402792.jpg

We need to address the horrendous thing hanging on the rear of the frame.  To the owner of this gun, take it off.

17 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

Drez

Seems you are falling for the SSR - and rightfully so, but be aware that on that particular gun the sights and grip were changed from how it comes. Not a big deal, and easily duplicated. Front sight is the interchangeable variety, probably a HiViz, Dawson Precision or SDM, about $30 - $35 and about 30 seconds. Rear sight is an LPA Target - just screws into the existing holes in the top strap. Current going rate for these is about $115 (hint: for about the same money, you can get a Bowen Rough Country sight - considerably more rugged - I have both). The grip is the one that comes stock on Smith's X-frames and has a recoil absorbing insert at the top of the backstrap (which is covered with these grips) about $36 from the S&W store. Smith's exclusive on these must have expired because I understand they are now also available directly from Hogue (unconfirmed, but that's what I heard). Kudos to whoever belongs to that gun - it's set-up exactly like my Brazil 586-4 (.38 Special) - great minds and all that.

Keep us informed.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks for all the info, Bob! I will keep the upgraded sights in mind while I decide. That SSR sure is a looker! I know some guys are traditionalists when it comes to revolvers but that slant-cut barrel with its slabsides sure is sexy!

In my late-night gun time...you know, the hours between 10-1am where you just can't stop looking at gun stuff...I found another model by S&W which is the 627. It's made in a few different models but needless to say, it has everything I want. I was specifically looking at the 627-5 Performance - 8 round cyclinder, very similar overall look to the SSR, AND it's offered in a 5" barrel. Just like anything it takes practice to shoot a new gun well but I was surprised how much better I shot the Taurus 608 6" versus the 4" revolvers, obviously due to the sight radius. The 5" barrel IMO is right in the middle of being lengthy like the 6" but just a bit more sight length than the 4". The one reason I was leaning towards the a regular 686 is it's made in 5" but I really liked the look of the performance series so I think the 627 may be it. 

With the race to not have my permits expire, I still have another week or so to make up my mind. At least I've narrowed it down substantially which is usually the hardest part.

Here they are side by side:

608 4"

taurus608.jpg

627 5" Performance
17025_DEFAULT_l.jpg

686 4" SSR
wm_12304215.jpg

17 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

We need to address the horrendous thing hanging on the rear of the frame.  To the owner of this gun, take it off.

Ray if you want a shrouded hammer on a k frame thats what that horrendous thing does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RecessedFilter said:

I found another model by S&W which is the 627. It's made in a few different models but needless to say, it has everything I want. I was specifically looking at the 627-5 Performance - 8 round cyclinder, very similar overall look to the SSR, AND it's offered in a 5" barrel.

You mean this one...

2ly68u0.jpg

Got this about two weeks ago. Makes an even dozen N-frames.

Good luck in your quest.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

14 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Or just intstall one yourself.

Hate

It

That's the only hammer shroud I ever saw for a K frame OTC. If there's another let me know. Yeah, I guess you can have some custom job made if you want to send that much.

Life jackets don't look sexy either but they work.  Frank Lloyd Wright designed buildings with the idea "form follows function".  Check out the Guggenheim in Manhattan.  Critics called it a coffee can turned upside down.

1 hour ago, Pizza Bob said:

You mean this one...

2ly68u0.jpg

Got this about two weeks ago. Makes an even dozen N-frames.

Good luck in your quest.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Woahhh! I just got giddy seeing that. I'm jealous. She's a real beaut! Have you shot her yet and if so, how was it? How'd it shoot compared to your other large frames?

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

That's the only hammer shroud I ever saw for a K frame OTC. If there's another let me know. Yeah, I guess you can have some custom job made if you want to send that much.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/hammer-parts/hammers/evolution-k-l-frame-hammer-for-s-w-revolvers-sku100018576-82850-175649.aspx?rrec=true

3 hours ago, RecessedFilter said:

Woahhh! I just got giddy seeing that. I'm jealous. She's a real beaut! Have you shot her yet and if so, how was it? How'd it shoot compared to your other large frames?

Haven't shot it yet and I'm not sure when I will. Didn't buy it for competition. Bought it just because I love N-frames in general and 5" N-frames in particular. They all are great to shoot, but my favorite is my 627-4 PC in .38 Super.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Eye no!

Revolvers don't need to be SA.  

For 99+% of what I use a revolver for I'd agree.

Bullseye shooters and hunters will disagree.  They're correct too.

There are so few concealed and shrouded hammer revolvers out there but having the option to shoot SA is not a bad thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

Haven't shot it yet and I'm not sure when I will. Didn't buy it for competition. Bought it just because I love N-frames in general and 5" N-frames in particular. They all are great to shoot, but my favorite is my 627-4 PC in .38 Super.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Well in that case, if you need someone to motivate you to shoot it, I'm just a PM away and can provide my own ammo! Hahaha

On 4/26/2018 at 6:40 PM, Pizza Bob said:

Drez

Keep us informed.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Actually, kudos to you Bob. It was one of your posts that led me to buy the 686 SSR used at Classic Pistol. Thanks!

3 hours ago, the_stranger said:

Actually, kudos to you Bob. It was one of your posts that led me to buy the 686 SSR used at Classic Pistol. Thanks!

Glad to be of service. Always nice to bring another to the fold.

4 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

And none of them will shoot regular ammo... just your Dillon-press-kaboomy reloads, lol!

In their current form with the way I have the springs setup, yes - they will only fire federal branded ammo / primers. Can always increase the spring weight If I ever had the need to fire other factory ammo. 

and I havent had a dillon boom boom in a few years. Dillon 1050 way gooder in that department

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

They look so weird with the extractor rod out there like that.

Exposed ejector rods is one of the reasons Colts didn't take the LE market like S&W did.  A bent ejector rod was more common in Colts.

Doesn't make a difference on a range toy.

Yup, griz is correct. If this were a duty / carry / defense gun you'd absolutely want to keep the ejector rod in it's shroud. 

Most factory revolvers lock up the cylinder / yoke at the end of the ejector rod. So, I'lf you do bend it the trigger will bind up really bad while your trying to rotate a bent rod on a fixed pin. 

With my competition setups I eliminate the lockup at the ejector rod and solely rely on ball detents that are engaged on the yoke face and frame. So If I do happen to bend a rod during a reload or heavy use, it really doesn't effect to much.