Sign in to follow this  
jm1827

Smoking question

So, as I am becoming more familiar with how to smoke meats I am noticing that I am using a lot more spices than I have when only grilling.

Does anyone have a good source where I can buy spices in bulk and hopefully save some $$$?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, RichP said:

In bulk?

The only things that you should be using a lot of is salt, pepper and paprika.

BTW - I like https://www.penzeys.com/shop/spices/

The only thing you should be using is...the spices you want! I'm sure you can make a great beef jerky that way, but if you make n'duja with just some paprika you're in for a bland time. 

I was gonna say Costco or BJ’s Wholesale club. There are a lot of commercially available rubs too. 

I usually use a mix of kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, brown sugar (for pork, not brisket), granulated garlic/onion, and a few other odds and ends. I know a lot of bbq pros just use salt and pepper on brisket and beef ribs. 

20 minutes ago, mossburger said:

The only thing you should be using is...the spices you want! I'm sure you can make a great beef jerky that way, but if you make n'duja with just some paprika you're in for a bland time. 

I stand corrected. I was unaware that the OP was smoking homemade sausage and not the typical ribs/butt/brisket/chicken that go on a smoker. :)

As an aside, there are dozens of varieties of paprika, some of which are very mild and sweet, while others can get quite hot and spicy.

15 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Was disappointed.  Topic made me think of Cigars/Pipes.

Sorry about that....

18 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I was gonna say Costco or BJ’s Wholesale club. There are a lot of commercially available rubs too. 

I usually use a mix of kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, brown sugar (for pork, not brisket), granulated garlic/onion, and a few other odds and ends. I know a lot of bbq pros just use salt and pepper on brisket and beef ribs. 

Thanks and that was a simple enough LOL!