gleninjersey

FML Part Deux - Water Leaking At Rental

My father inlaw passed about 1.5 years ago.  He had rental unit which I've been taking care of for my mother inlaw.  

Tenants (very nice older couple) called saying carpet in hallway is wet.  

Thought that was strange.  So go over and sure enough, It's wet in center of hallway.  Looks like someone poured a gallon of water.  

Call plumber and waiting now.  Most beautiful day of year.

FML....again.  Guess it could be worse.  Looks like we caught it at beginning.  Sure we will have.to open some walls to find leak.

Sorry, just venting.  

3 hours ago, lethalshot said:

Welcome to the rental world, I've been doing it for 30 years now with 6 units it's getting really tiring.
It always happens on the weekend, hunting in the middle of the rut.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

I had my own rentals for over a decade.  Sold them two years ago.  This was my father inlaw's but he passed about 1.5 years ago and I take care of the maintenance / headaches for my mother inlaw.  

Could have been worse.  Tenants were out of unit almost all day today for a First Communion.  If they hadn't noticed it early this morning and called me immediately it could have continued all day.  

I was very lucky to find a local plumber who was able to come over on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.  If you live in the Warren (Somerset County) area, don't hesistate to call Jerry Mondoro at Able Plumbing.  He was a real life saver and did the work on a moments notice at a reasonable price.  

Where you have rentals at lethalshot?  Mine were in North Plainfield.  Would love to buy a two family but hard finding properties that will either cash flow positive or at least cover the mortgage & taxes.

FYI - found the leak and had been fixed.  Was at top of wall above bathroom vanity.  Traveled down pipe, along wall to hallway where it was seeping under the wall to the hallway carpet.

Bathroom looks like someone took a chainsaw to the walls.  

Mother in law will be calling someone to do sheetrock and bring in fan to dry carpet where it was set.  It was only a 2x2 foot area but better to get it dry.

I had my own rentals for over a decade.  Sold them two years ago.  This was my father inlaw's but he passed about 1.5 years ago and I take care of the maintenance / headaches for my mother inlaw.  
Could have been worse.  Tenants were out of unit almost all day today for a First Communion.  If they hadn't noticed it early this morning and called me immediately it could have continued all day.  
I was very lucky to find a local plumber who was able to come over on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.  If you live in the Warren (Somerset County) area, don't hesistate to call Jerry Mondoro at Able Plumbing.  He was a real life saver and did the work on a moments notice at a reasonable price.  

Where you have rentals at lethalshot?  Mine were in North Plainfield.  Would love to buy a two family but hard finding properties that will either cash flow positive or at least cover the mortgage & taxes.
I'm in Lawrenceville and do 90% of my own work. They have been good to me but things seem to happen at the worst time.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

• Like 1