Malice4you

New spinning reel?

So, I went fishing this weekend. The reel I have is at least 20 years old, and it started making some noises. Took it apart yesterday and lubed up everything I could find that could have been making noises, and that helped, but noises came back after a while today. Went and redid a few areas and noises haven't returned at home...

Reel I have was a cheap piece of crap from a combo kit which likely cost less than $50 back when I got it. Rod was replaced probably 18 years ago after old one broke. If the noise comes back, it is not worth dealing with anymore. If that is the case, I'd like a new spinning reel.

Anyone have any suggestions or brands to avoid? Budget is around $50ish. I typically use 6-8lb test (more for not losing so many damn lures). I plan to go to Ramsey outdoor one of these days and look at my options.

One follow up question: I used to use Spiderwire which was 50+ thin straight strands encapsulaed inside a smooth coating which made the line strong while still feeling like regular mono. I cannot find the same stuff, all of it seems to be braided stuff these days, with no coating on it. Closest they make is a coated, braided variant I may try, but is there some other type to look for that is multifiber but smooth?

Look at the Shimano reels. Assuming you're fishing freshwater. Reel size should be 2000-3000 type size. They have a couple models below $75. 

As for line look at sufix braid. 20lb test is 6lb diameter. 

Dicks sporting goods does have some variations of spiderwire but I don't have experience with them. 

Sorry, completely forgot to say it is all freshwater.  At this point, I'm open to anything I can actually catch. Ideally trout and bass, but whatever.  I catch & release everything anyway.  Well, assuming I ever actually catch a damn thing besides branches and weeds.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll look into em.

13 hours ago, Tunaman said:

I know my reels...Pflueger President is the OUTSTANDING value in high quality spinning reels.  Check them out.  I have the Model 6730.  Sweet

+1 I have several pfluger reels. I'm currently rocking a supreme XT for my go-to trout rod. Penn ss series are nice too, that's what I use on my salmon and steelhead rods because they can hold allot of line

Op unless you're fishing very heavy cover with lots of sticks and Weeds I would get rid of the braided line and use a fluorocarbon such as Berkley vanish for trout fishing the heaviest line I use for trout fishing is 4 pound.

Most people less experianced with fishing tend to use too heavy of line and  too large of hooks and that's what causes then to not catch a lot of fish.  

9 hours ago, carl_g said:

If you are fishing for tout you should be fly fishing IMO.

While I do enjoy fly fishing I catch more fish with my ultra light spinner and a black and gold panther Martin. 

Based on everyone's suggestions, the Pflueger President what I'm strongly leaning towards.  Haven't had a chance to go check one out yet, but assuming I like it as much as everyone says I will, one will be coming home with me soon.

Thanks again all!

• Like 1

ell...I strung one with 220 yards of 6 lb spiderwire. The reel held the line well.

I have caught numerous perch and trout to 10 lbs on it. The drag feels smooth. The retrieve is steady and the materials seem to be holding together. The only plastic part I can readily see is the screw cap to hold the reel arm on.

The reel and cheap ultralight rod fought the larger trout very well.

Just like with any reel however if you have the full amount of line on you need to check for tangles quickly prior to starting the retrieve. I get wickedly long casts at the moment with very light lures.

Hope this helps.

So, just finally ordered the Pflueger President, though I went with the 30 after seeing the sizes of the 20 and 25 - the 30 is about the same size as what I'm replacing and I like the size.  However, after handling one in a store, I'm very seriously thinking I may have to order the 20 for my other rod. 

I still gotta figure out what kinda line I'm going to go for in the future.  I'll be using the braid I have for now, but still want to get something a bit more like the old stuff I used to use and love.

Thanks again all.

• Like 1

I have been using the Okuma Epixor eb 30 and 50 live bait system reels from shore and boat for over a year and they are worth it ;D.The 2nd drag on these bait runner type reels lets you go from free spool to any drag pressure at a flick of a lever without touching your main drag setting with a closed bail.The drag system is sweet,under the worse ice fishing conditions these reels didn't studder at all ;D.Just like everything else the good stuffs not cheap.

On 6/18/2018 at 6:23 AM, Narcindry said:

I have been using the Okuma Epixor eb 30 and 50 live bait system reels from shore and boat for over a year and they are worth it ;D.The 2nd drag on these bait runner type reels lets you go from free spool to any drag pressure at a flick of a lever without touching your main drag setting with a closed bail.The drag system is sweet,under the worse ice fishing conditions these reels didn't studder at all ;D.Just like everything else the good stuffs not cheap.

I have had terrable luck with okuma. I had 2 reels of theirs break apart, one just over a year old and they would not replace them and they were not repairable. 

1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

The high end Shimano in any size or type are some of the best there is.  They make great stuff.

I've got a boat load of Shimano reels, both in freshwater and salt water versions. Never had a single issue with any of them. Based on the abuse they've taken, they're pretty much indestructible! Oh, and I've caught tons of fish with them too. :)

I've used a Shimano RX120 for at least 30 years. I've never done any maintenance and never had single issue. Can't understand why a quick fire type bail release isn't standard on every reel. I'll never have a reel without one.

2 hours ago, Bringit99 said:

Can't understand why a quick fire type bail release isn't standard on every reel. I'll never have a reel without one.

I agree, it's a great invention.

That's what first brought me to Schimano many decades ago.

2 hours ago, Bringit99 said:

I've used a Shimano RX120 for at least 30 years. I've never done any maintenance and never had single issue. Can't understand why a quick fire type bail release isn't standard on every reel. I'll never have a reel without one.

The little lever that lets you flip the bar?  I love that...  I've got a couple of cheap reels without it - wish I could throw one on...

I've handled the Shimano Spirex model at Cabela's. Only new model I know of that has the quick-fire feature. Very smooth and I think I like the dual handles. I'd get one if I really needed a new reel, but right now it's just a want. Anyone else know of another reel that has a one-finger bail flip?