FishNHard

Picking a bullet for reloading with ????

I used to buy all sorts of different brands for rifle.  After many years I decided to stick with Hornady.  I chose Hornady because I like their reloading book. It has lods for all of their bullets.  It has simplified my rifle reloading quite a bit.

• Like 2

If you're exclusively punching paper with your .308, start with a 168gr HPBT (Sierra or Hornady or Nosler would be my personal first choices) and see which your rifle likes best given the choice of powders (I like Varget, myself) you have.

If you're going to be taking animals out of circulation, I'll leave you to the hunters in this crowd to suggest the proper projectiles and powders to choose from.

• Like 1

Just now, njJoniGuy said:

If you're exclusively punching paper with your .308, start with a 168gr HPBT (Sierra or Hornady or Nosler would be my personal first choices) and see which your rifle likes best given the choice of powders (I like Varget, myself) you have.

If you're going to be taking animals out of circulation, I'll leave you to the hunters in this crowd to suggest the proper projectiles and powders to choose from.

My rifle reloading is all for hunting and plinking.

Bullets are similar to vehicles in the regard that they all have an intended, and somewhat specialized, purpose.  The type of bullet (or ammo) you use depends on the task at hand.  If you are hunting, you need something that will expand and cause a lot of hydrostatic shock.  If you are shooting long range precision, you need a bullet with a high ballistic coefficient.  You will be less concerned with expansion and weight retention and more concerned with punching neat holes in tight groups.

There is no magic bullet that is good for everything.  You need to consider many factors when hand loading.  Bullet weight in relation to barrel twist rate.  Powder burn rate, seating depth that is specific to your rifle.

Do yourself a favor and buy a reloading manual.  It gives you more than basic recipes.  You will gain a lot of insight to the nuances to reloading.

Hornady and Sierra for accuracy in the 168 gr. HPBT. Big fan of the Speer 125 gr. TNT bullet. It's a sleeper. Accurate in every .30 caliber I've loaded it for. Varget, 4064 and H4895 are my go-to powders.