Sign in to follow this  
10X

Lawsuit challenging California's restrictions on ammo sales

This will be one to watch.  Kim Rhode, NRA sue to overturn CA law blocking mail order sales and requiring background checks for ammo purchases

Six-time Olympian Kim Rhode is the perfect plaintiff.   I remember an interview she gave during the Olympics in 2016, when the law took effect, in which she said she shoots two cases of shotgun ammo a day in training, and having to find it at retail AND undergo a background check for each purchase would destroy the ability of competitive shooters in California to compete.

• Like 1

This will be one to watch.  Kim Rhode, NRA sue to overturn CA law blocking mail order sales and requiring background checks for ammo purchases
Six-time Olympian Kim Rhode is the perfect plaintiff.   I remember an interview she gave during the Olympics in 2016, when the law took effect, in which she said she shoots two cases of shotgun ammo a day in training, and having to find it at retail AND undergo a background check for each purchase would destroy the ability of competitive shooters in California to compete.

I believe the law took effect this February.

4 minutes ago, Darrenf said:

I believe the law took effect this February.

You may be right.   It was approved as part of Prop 63 in 2016.  The mail order ban kicking in first, the background check provision to take effect next year.

17 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Kudos for her bringing a law suit. BUT, the 2nd amendment is not about hunting or competitive sports. Let's get back to basics and sue for it's true intentions.

They are.  The lawsuit is challenging based on the 2nd Amendment and the Commerce Clause of the US Constitution.

But Kim is the perfect face to put on the law suit.     I think they have sound legal grounds to challenge in court, but they are wise to also consider the court of public opinion.

39 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Kudos for her bringing a law suit. BUT, the 2nd amendment is not about hunting or competitive sports. Let's get back to basics and sue for it's true intentions.

Need to do both. Just as the Gun control crowd have been incrementally chipping away at the 2A, we should chip away to get it back. Putting all eggs in one lawsuit or waiting for “the big one” is a dangerous gambit. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

unenforceable unless they convince pa and de ffl's to not sell ammo to nj residents.

Sure, but for most people there's really just nothing that compares to online ammo. For me is over an hour each way to PA. And the shops don't tend to sell at the prices that websites do. Nor with the convenience of shipping to my door.

Also supply and demand. Brick and mortar already charges a lot compared to most online deals. Add in the hypothetical that you now have less options, and then the price gouging begins.