Sign in to follow this  
Sniper

Questions concerning legally transferring Father-in-laws firearms

We have to put my father-in-law into an assisted living facility. He owns assorted long guns and a few handguns, acquired multiple decades ago (long before the FID became law), some while living in NY State and some from Colorado, a few here in NJ. I trying to figure out how to legally find a home for them.

1) He doesn't have a FID card, but a few other family members do. I'm assuming he could sign a COE and transfer the long guns to anyone with a FID card, correct? Or, deos he also need a FID to do this transfer? The handguns would require a P2P permit from a FID holder.

2) I'm assuming the long guns can't be given to one of his kids if they don't have a FID card, right?

3) Would or can a FFL dealer purchase the whole lot of the long guns and handguns, even without definitive paperwork where they were purchase? This would be the easiest way to deal with them, in one complete package, but not sure if this is legal.

Any other legal ways to find homes for them, short of just dropping them off at a local LEO station.

No permits or paperwork needed as a seller. The acquiring party needs a permit for each handgun, and a FPID for the long guns. A dealer can buy everything with his license without needing a FPID or permits.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sniper22 said:

We have to put my father-in-law into an assisted living facility. He owns assorted long guns and a few handguns, acquired multiple decades ago (long before the FID became law), some while living in NY State and some from Colorado, a few here in NJ. I trying to figure out how to legally find a home for them.

1) He doesn't have a FID card, but a few other family members do. I'm assuming he could sign a COE and transfer the long guns to anyone with a FID card, correct? Or, deos he also need a FID to do this transfer? The handguns would require a P2P permit from a FID holder.

2) I'm assuming the long guns can't be given to one of his kids if they don't have a FID card, right?

3) Would or can a FFL dealer purchase the whole lot of the long guns and handguns, even without definitive paperwork where they were purchase? This would be the easiest way to deal with them, in one complete package, but not sure if this is legal.

Any other legal ways to find homes for them, short of just dropping them off at a local LEO station.

Your Father-in law needs nothing to sell, no FID or paperwork how he acquired the guns. The buyer will need an FID card and 2 COEs for long arms and a P2P for handguns.

If he wants to give long guns to his kids, they need to get their FID first. Put the ones he wants to sell on MeWe or Gunbroker. You will not get top dollar selling to an FFL. Don't even THINK about handing them over to your PD!

• Like 1

Thank for all the feedback. His oldest son is the Power of Attorney, so I'll share will him all this info and see how he wants to proceed.

Of course, being the helpful son-in-law that I am, a few of those long guns should come my way, right? :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

3) Would or can a FFL dealer purchase the whole lot of the long guns and handguns, even without definitive paperwork where they were purchase? This would be the easiest way to deal with them, in one complete package

Yes

18 minutes ago, sota said:

kinda surprised the OP doesn't want them for himself.

Well, maybe two of them, for the novelty value... I'm not into older, traditional wood stocks.... I like my firearms "black and evil looking"....