Bully

Starting my First Bolt Gun Build

1 hour ago, Shane45 said:

Run the tool post into the spider? Can you just set back the barrel?

That's what I was in the middle of doing.  Then I crashed.  

I'm going to cut the tenon off and start fresh.  I have enough room and want as long a tenon as I can get.  Mostly because I want the first one "right" if you know what I mean.  

2 hours ago, fishnut said:

The true measure of a good craftsman is how well he can fix his mistakes 

Well, then, I'm a piss-poor craftsman.  Which is fine as I'm in the learning stages.  As stated above, I'll cut this off and start fresh.  It's all good from here.  

• Like 1

This will hopefully save me from myself while I get my feet under me. 

Its a micrometer adjustable reamer stop. Made by Nathaniel Lambeth. Pretty ingenious piece of kit. 

Drive the set it to stop short of the shoulder. Drive the reamer in. Then take measurements to determine final cuts. Dial that (each hash Mark is .001) and go. 

I’m a happy boy right now  

749864FA-679E-4116-85F6-8C3E926E8B64.jpeg

Chamber is cut.  Headspace is dead nuts.  

I have a throating reamer on the way.  I'm shooting 110's and I like to hang them out there a good bit.  As soon as the throater shows up, I'll get that taken care of and flip the barrel around and cut the crown.  That'll do it for metal work.  I will be trying my hand at bedding this rifle.  Should be interesting.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bully said:

I have a throating reamer on the way.  I'm shooting 110's and I like to hang them out there a good bit.  As soon as the throater shows up, I'll get that taken care of and flip the barrel around and cut the crown.  That'll do it for metal work.  I will be trying my hand at bedding this rifle.  Should be interesting.  

Bedding.. jus like spackle. You got this 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bully said:

Threading or just target crown?  11 degree?

6 hours ago, Old School said:

Uni-Throater is a hand reamer that allows you to precisely adjust the diameter and length of throat.

Length. 

Diameter is determined by the reamer. 

I know what it is, but I’m using the lathe. 

So the throating reamer showed up.  Having no idea about the dimensional differences of this versus a conventional chambering reamer, I didn't realize that it would not fit well in my reamer holder.  And I can't make anything as I am not removing the barrel from where it sits until it's complete.  
Long story short, I'm waiting on a piece to convert the reamer's shank to a more conventional size.  Just another couple of days and I should be good.  

• Like 1