Greenday

Atlantic County Represent

So, how'd you hear about us? Google

How long did you lurk here before registering? 5 seconds

What prompted you to register? Quick check of posts, everyone seemed reasonable so why not? I'm a liberal who enjoys shooting so finding a niche where I fit in can be tough.

My wife and I actually had one of our first dates at a shooting range. She came to visit from Canada and we went to an outdoor range in the Poconos. They had all sorts of handguns and rifles with different modifications to try out. Range instructor gives you a safety briefing, then we went out, would pick what we'd want (with some advice) and he'd show us how to load, safety, magazine release, type of trigger and was there next to you to ensure you did everything correctly and didn't do anything stupid like not point the gun downrange, etc.

After she moved here and we got married, we decided to find a range we liked and join. Found Full Metal Jacket in Upper Township. Not a huge place but the staff are super friendly and helpful. Plus they have rentals and rented to us without FIDs. Just had to watch their training video and had a range instructor keep an eye on us. Being able to rent is fantastic. My wife prefers handguns. I prefer rifles. I'm super logical so I gravitated to .22s because they are super easy to shoot and ammo is cheap. Right now, all I want to do is plink away so it's perfect for my needs.

Wife just purchased a Baretta M9A1 and a S&W M&P 15-22 that I'll primarily use. She'll transfer it to me when I get my FID card. Very excited to be able to get outdoors now that the weather is nice. I'm not an expert shot, but I'm not feeling drastically challenged at 25 yards. Hoping to learn lots from the more experienced folk here.

Before my wife, I spent a year in Afghanistan as a contractor and had to receive basic firearm training before deploying. Learned a lot from the instructors there and kept learning from the soldiers I worked with while I was overseas. A great learning experience.

Greenday:

Welcome to NJGF.  It is nice to have another liberal thinker join the ranks since we are greatly outnumbered by the majority of posters here on NJGF.  Thank you for sharing your interesting story on how you and your wife started as gun enthusiasts.  Enjoy your new guns and I agree that renting various guns to “test drive” is an excellent way to decide what you like and works best for your needs.  I believe you will find that there are many folks here willing to assist you and answer any of your gun-related questions and help you pursue this fun hobby, that also provides home/self-protection, as well as to practice an important Constitutionally guaranteed right.

AVB-AMG

18 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Pork roll. I'm originally from Central Jersey near the beach so it's Pork Roll for us.

What a shame. And here I was just starting to like you.... ;)

Well, if you ever need any help from a Mod, you'll need to seek out @Krdshrk - he's a porkroller, too. Because you're dead to me, Greenday!  

(Just kidding. :p)