MartyZ

School me on NRA armscare insurance

Ok, so I am dropping metlife due to them dropping NRA discounts. Going over to Geico for auto and home coverage but seriously considering NRAs armscare for my toys. Before I call the NRA and get a somewhat convoluted, complicated, incomplete answer, like most insurance companies. What can you guys tell me about this coverage, how it works, Do I need pics of all my toys in case they are stolen, and what is the difference between armscare and armscare plus?

10 minutes ago, capt14k said:

NRA Firearms insurance is junk. Get Eastern

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Can you elaborate?

Can you elaborate?
NRA is fine for the free $2,500 after that the prices suck and it's like Daffy Duck insurance. Eastern no matter where your Firearms are they are covered, only items over $5,000 in value need to be itemized. $50,000 is $160 $100,000 is $310 and then it is $150 for every $50,000 thereafter. Covers water, fire, theft, malfunction at home, work, car, range, friend's house, anywhere.

32 minutes ago, capt14k said:

NRA is fine for the free $2,500 after that the prices suck and it's like Daffy Duck insurance. Eastern no matter where your Firearms are they are covered, only items over $5,000 in value need to be itemized. $50,000 is $160 $100,000 is $310 and then it is $150 for every $50,000 thereafter. Covers water, fire, theft, malfunction at home, work, car, range, friend's house, anywhere.

Thanks--those are much better rates than the NRA (actually, Lockton) offers for coverage above the free $2500 that comes with NRA membership.

Doesn't the NRA Life membership automatically cover you for additional insurance?

Nowhere near what I need. I think life maxes out at $5,000 or $10,000.

Eastern also does jewelery, watches, and other collectibles. Insurance on a Rolex was half what Chubb was charging. No your homeowners is not good enough for your jewelry my mother lost her diamond out of her 25 year engagement ring. Homeowners paid a fraction of the actual value. Diamond just fell out one day. Have your wives get their diamonds tightened every 5 years. My mother went 27 years without setting being tightened.

Just now, capt14k said:

Nowhere near what I need.

Ofc.  I have the maximum rider on my homeowner's insurance for firearms (did not require an itemized list - Travelers).  That plus the NRA life member insurance coverage is enough.

Ofc.  I have the maximum rider on my homeowner's insurance for firearms (did not require an itemized list - Travelers).  That plus the NRA life member insurance coverage is enough.
Read your homeowners rider closely. It isn't going to cover $50,000 in firearms. Your lucky if it is $2,500 plus the $2,500 from NRA.

Oh I did.

So what is the max coverage? Did you check into jewelery, watches, other collectibles. Any agent worth a grain of salt will tell you to get separate policies if value exceeds $10,000.

Also if you lose, have stolen, or is damaged outside of home what are the coverages on homeowners policy?

Is there a company that doesn't require you to itemize what you're covering? My buddy has been looking to insure without itemizing with an approx value of $20k.
As I posted originally Eastern only requires itemization for single firearms worth more than $5,000. I have one itemized and the other bunch I just came up with valuation and they are covered under the umbrella portion.

$10,000 separate personal article policy for firearms.  Jewelry is on a separate rider as well.

I'll have to check the outside the home stuff - don't know that off the top of my head.  

Drez - I think pretty much anything over $10k requires itemization.

$10,000 separate personal article policy for firearms.  Jewelry is on a separate rider as well.

I'll have to check the outside the home stuff - don't know that off the top of my head.  

Drez - I think pretty much anything over $10k requires itemization.

Again Eastern does not require itemization for Firearms except those worth more than $5,000.

Why does the Eastern site say "historic firearms" and not firearms in general?
I think because the majority of your collection needs to be something of value. They aren't going to cover a bunch of put together ARs.

Just now, capt14k said:

I think because the majority of your collection needs to be something of value. They aren't going to cover a bunch of put together ARs.

I guess i'm screwed then. I have no historical firearms, they are all modern and a handful are put together ARs. But they are all still OF VALUE to me.

I guess i'm screwed then. I have no historical firearms, they are all modern and a handful are put together ARs. But they are all still OF VALUE to me.
You may want to call them. I would think that put together ARs are never going to appreciate in value so it would be tough to find a valuation for them. If total value is under $10,000 go with the homeowners rider.

1 minute ago, capt14k said:

You may want to call them. I would think that put together ARs are never going to appreciate in value so it would be tough to find a valuation for them. If total value is under $10,000 go with the homeowners rider.

I checked for $15,000 and NRA is cheaper then insurance rider. Also, insurance rider needs itemized, and receipts or appraisals. Not sure what I need for NRA though, that's why i'm asking. 

3 hours ago, capt14k said:

What the fuck does appreciation in value matter? Shit has a replacement cost. IF they aren't covering replacement cost for firearms, you are going to be FUBAR anyway as they claim depreciation. Which is the primary problem with homeowners' riders. Most won't write over $10k, most don't cover optics in it, and most are current market value, not replacement cost. 

The ones I have seen talked about most are armscare, collectibles insurance service, and Eastern. 

If you compete, and your primary concern is theft while on the road, CIS seems to be the least fucked, but it seems nothing fully covers you under all the circumstances you might face when traveling with your gear. 

armscare is not priced well. So it's worth giving the other two a call. If you collect knives, CIS does that too. 

What the fuck does appreciation in value matter? Shit has a replacement cost. IF they aren't covering replacement cost for firearms, you are going to be FUBAR anyway as they claim depreciation. Which is the primary problem with homeowners' riders. Most won't write over $10k, most don't cover optics in it, and most are current market value, not replacement cost. 

The ones I have seen talked about most are armscare, collectibles insurance service, and Eastern. 

If you compete, and your primary concern is theft while on the road, CIS seems to be the least fucked, but it seems nothing fully covers you under all the circumstances you might face when traveling with your gear. 

armscare is not priced well. So it's worth giving the other two a call. If you collect knives, CIS does that too. 

Not so much appreciation but depreciation. I should have worded it better

Read though my policy. It also says sporting arms. What I really liked is they even cover your Firearms against damage if taken into custody by authorities. This is great for new Florida law and pending and existing NJ law.