vladtepes

Variable Power 1x

OK, I'm starting to really like the Steiner. Got to mount it today, but have been outside with it and the glass is fantastic. Even with the astig, the dot is much better than the APs. It is sharp even without my glasses as long as its not up to bright.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2018 at 7:11 PM, Shane45 said:

VC16-D-1600038_reticle_popup2.jpg

Same reticle as in the accupower except with windage dots.  I have moa, moa It's pretty usable as a FFP reticle. 

I will warn you off green. I got that because I got a great deal on a barely used scope but it blends with nature a bit too easily, and it eats batteries quickly. The windage dots would be a good thing TM IMO. 

8 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Same reticle as in the accupower except with windage dots.  I have moa, moa It's pretty usable as a FFP reticle. 

I will warn you off green. I got that because I got a great deal on a barely used scope but it blends with nature a bit too easily, and it eats batteries quickly. The windage dots would be a good thing TM IMO. 

the red looked "brighter" but the green was easier on my eyes.. so not sure which way to go.. 

used to Larue mounts.. but got American Defense on my AK.. was pretty impressed.. is AD a good mount?

9 hours ago, Shane45 said:

AD is better than Larue IMO. My eyes prefer the green as well.

I concur with shane45. I have ad mounts on most of my optics. A little heavy but work well and all my pic rail looks new. 

I think larue has a clever design, but it can  chew up your rails. 

• Like 2

The ADM stuff is top notch.

I also like the LaRue, but find myself buying the ADM stuff more....

Question - Are you planning on ditching the optic often?

If not, you don’t need the QD capabilities of the ADM - I have found I really like the Aero Precision Mounts. They come in around $60-$80 and weigh only 3 to 4 ounces depending on the model.

Worth a look at least. That is the mount my Steiner is in, in the photo I posted earlier.

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

The ADM stuff is top notch.

I also like the LaRue, but find myself buying the ADM stuff more....

Question - Are you planning on ditching the optic often?

If not, you don’t need the QD capabilities of the ADM - I have found I really like the Aero Precision Mounts. They come in around $60-$80 and weigh only 3 to 4 ounces depending on the model.

Worth a look at least. That is the mount my Steiner is in, in the photo I posted earlier.

QD for an optic like this is a must for me.. I don't think I will EVER take it off.. but I want to be able to go to irons if I have a need.. 

and I only have a handful of guns right.. so the added cost of having everything be QD is really minimal.. 

13 hours ago, vladtepes said:

thanks for that.. there are a few different types of AD mounts.. which is appropriate for something like a 1-4x accupower?

IMO the right one to get is the recon-x. It's one of, if not THE, longest cntilevel on the market. WHich means you can get a nose to chargin handle cheek weld with most any optic you purchase. Don't like that, you can mount the scope further back in the rings and bring the mount back an notch. Also has two QD latches, so it's more secure. 

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=8

13 hours ago, High Exposure said:

If not, you don’t need the QD capabilities of the ADM - I have found I really like the Aero Precision Mounts. They come in around $60-$80 and weigh only 3 to 4 ounces depending on the model..

The aero mounts are nice and light. and these days come win a variety of ring sizes. Great value for the money, and a great mount for the weight. I too give them a thumbs up. 

That being said, they do not have as much extension as an AD recon-X. This means that nose to charging handle won't work for a number of scopes. They'll pair great with a trijicon accupower 1-8x though. That doesn't need as much eye relief as the vortex razor HD. 

unfortunately I have come full circle.. I went out to the shop today.. with the intention of maybe picking one up.. and the Accupower was crystal clear... no weird shadows or anything.. BUT.. the more I messed around with it.. the more I was getting almost a double image when using both eyes open.. which unfortunately is a deal breaker.. 1X both eye performance is really a big point of this whole thing.. I KNOW its not going to be a red dot.. but the double image thing was really messing with me... 

ah I did not realize that.. lame..  LOL

Might want to give that Steiner another look. I’m really liking it. Much more crisp than any AP....[emoji16][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/12/2018 at 7:22 PM, vladtepes said:

unfortunately I have come full circle.. I went out to the shop today.. with the intention of maybe picking one up.. and the Accupower was crystal clear... no weird shadows or anything.. BUT.. the more I messed around with it.. the more I was getting almost a double image when using both eyes open.. which unfortunately is a deal breaker.. 1X both eye performance is really a big point of this whole thing.. I KNOW its not going to be a red dot.. but the double image thing was really messing with me... 

You need to have it mounted and to have diopter adjusted for you to to really judge. I can shoot both eyes open with mine no problem at 1x.

On 5/11/2018 at 1:06 PM, Shane45 said:

And this is why not being able to collapse or extend your stock SUCKS! Thanks NJ! :whatever:

Makes rifle sharing in the home impossible for a couple with a difference of 16 inches in height.

so I shot the gun with the Tijicon the other day for the first time.. it was NOT what I expected..

the problems with semi blurry 1X use were essentially gone.. and the optic did work very similar to a "red dot"
I need some more time to be sure I am sold on it.. but 20-50 yards at the range is way different than 2 yards in my house... 

One thing I do need to change is the front sight.. it was not really annoying with the Eotech.. but it is kind of in the way of the Trijicon.. so I am swapping from fixed to a Troy BUIS in the front for a less cluttered view.. 

On 5/6/2018 at 5:52 PM, vladtepes said:

different reticle.. but at 1X it was similar to my Eotech in regards to aiming.. 

Accu1x.jpg

What sight/reticle is that? 

On 6/8/2018 at 12:00 PM, vladtepes said:

so I shot the gun with the Tijicon the other day for the first time.. it was NOT what I expected..

the problems with semi blurry 1X use were essentially gone.. and the optic did work very similar to a "red dot"
I need some more time to be sure I am sold on it.. but 20-50 yards at the range is way different than 2 yards in my house... 

One thing I do need to change is the front sight.. it was not really annoying with the Eotech.. but it is kind of in the way of the Trijicon.. so I am swapping from fixed to a Troy BUIS in the front for a less cluttered view.. 

@vladtepes How is the Trijicon holding up?

On 5/10/2019 at 9:08 AM, ChrisJM981 said:

What sight/reticle is that? 

@vladtepes How is the Trijicon holding up?

sorry just saw this.. its a great optic.. no problems at all.. it will never be "red dot" fast.. but its a compromise to have magnification.. and I am happy with it.. 

17 hours ago, vladtepes said:

sorry just saw this.. its a great optic.. no problems at all.. it will never be "red dot" fast.. but its a compromise to have magnification.. and I am happy with it.. 

Okay so what make/model is it? :D

I just went back and saw it is a 1-4x Accupower. Duh.