vladtepes

Variable Power 1x

Lots of stuff coming out. Lots of new offerings from new companies. BUT I dont roll for the latest greatest. Paid the early adopters tax way to many times. 

Raz, the 1.1 thing with the S&B was a euro formula issue from what I recall. If you do the math the same way american companies do it it comes out to 1.0. With that being said the only one that really felt like 1.0 of the optics Ive had was the Elcan. But a small + doesnt really other me much as it does some people. Now about those 1-6/1-8's. I could possibly see a 1-6 replacing some of my glass. I have  a USO 1-8 but it lives on a 308. I dont see me running one on a 5.56. Im just not digging on the 1-8's unless its on a rifle favoring the 8X side over the 1X side. 

2 hours ago, bhunted said:

Was on the phone today with Butler Creek, aka Bushnell, aka Simmons, etc.
We were chatting. He said BOLO for some new stuff, (after NRA show), that will be blowing companies like Vortex and others out of the water. May want to sit tight to see. Their website will have it updated and released after the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given what's out there, I can't see anyone blowing anything out of the water. 

Vortex gets mentioned because they really did shake up the industry. It'd be hard trick to upset the status quo as much as they did. 

There's what the big dollar guys are doing. What is there vs the ~$1k quality entries isn't big enough to be huge news.

The only things I can see as possible other than marketing BS is. 

1) An affordable 1-10x scope, or even a 1-10x with good behavior comparatively to the decent 1-6 and 1-8 scopes at a reasonable but expensive price. Right now MArch has a 1-10x, but it's in their hunting line for a reason. Also, 8x is pushing it for usefulness. 10x unless FFP and with NO trade offs isn't going to be desirable for a lot of the LVD market. 

2) Lghtness. THe grey ghost precision/ kruger KC6 carbon fiber scope shaves some weight and actually beats the weight of swaraovski. But they barely shipped any, and now they are not to be found. If Bushnell brings something liek that in set up well at 1-6x for $1299 msrp with a decent reticle and illumination, the LVD market will notice. 

Those are the biggest splashes I can imagine, and they still aren't going to be huge news. Probably not any bigger than bushnell shaving a couple hundred off their tactical elite 1-8x and making the various reticle sku properties less ambiguous would. 

45 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Lots of stuff coming out. Lots of new offerings from new companies. BUT I dont roll for the latest greatest. Paid the early adopters tax way to many times. 

Raz, the 1.1 thing with the S&B was a euro formula issue from what I recall. If you do the math the same way american companies do it it comes out to 1.0. With that being said the only one that really felt like 1.0 of the optics Ive had was the Elcan. But a small + doesnt really other me much as it does some people. Now about those 1-6/1-8's. I could possibly see a 1-6 replacing some of my glass. I have  a USO 1-8 but it lives on a 308. I dont see me running one on a 5.56. Im just not digging on the 1-8's unless its on a rifle favoring the 8X side over the 1X side. 

I suspected the 1.1x thing might be moot. They all aren't true 1x if you are under several yards distance, buit the vortex razor and the trijicon accupower 1-8 do a real convincing job until you get to room scale distances. Even then it's pretty minor.  The price of them definitely is not moot though.  S&B aint cheap. Their new 1-8 short dot even claims to have a close quarters mode for true 1x at room scale distances. But it's also $4000. 

• Like 1

I don’t like BDC reticles on a 1-4/1-6.

For me they are unnecessary.

I wish a company would just put a simple crosshair and a single daytime usable 1 moa dot on a 1-6 with a relatively forgiving eye box and decent eye relief. 

I’ll zero at 50yards and be good to 250.

Make it under $500 and even better.

The Steiner P4Xi is the closest I have come to finding that.

18 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I don’t like BDC reticles on a 1-4/1-6.

For me they are unnecessary.

I wish a company would just put a simple crosshair and a single daytime usable 1 moa dot on a 1-6 with a relatively forgiving eye box and decent eye relief. 

I’ll zero at 50yards and be good to 250.

Make it under $500 and even better.

The Steiner P4Xi is the closest I have come to finding that.

meopta meostar R2 1-6x Not under $500. basically an a4 style reticle with a red dot in the middle. 

• Like 1

almost sold on the trijicon but trying to find a Steiner in stock somewhere so I can see it in real life.. 1x performance is probably most critical because I don't want to give up a lot going from a traditional unmagnified optic.. the Trijicon was good but want to try to see the Steiner before pulling the trigger.. 

• Like 1

Not true 1x..... 1.25x..
Think he’s set on 1x+ both eyes open concept.

2 hours ago, bhunted said:

Not true 1x..... 1.25x..

It worked for me.  I only sold it because I wanted more power.

17 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

It worked for me.  I only sold it because I wanted more power.

Sorry, the Dilithium Crystals can't handle any more captain.;)

4 hours ago, bhunted said:

Not true 1x..... 1.25x..

yup.. as close to true 1X is pretty much the highest priority... 

I tried some optics that were 1.5.. and "both eyes open" really messed with my head.. LOL 

17 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

yup.. as close to true 1X is pretty much the highest priority... 

I tried some optics that were 1.5.. and "both eyes open" really messed with my head.. LOL 

Steiner, for the win!

1 hour ago, bhunted said:

Sorry, the Dilithium Crystals can't handle any more captain.;)

What

27 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Whelp, astigmatism still affects it. Will mount it tomorrow and see how it stands up to my other stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you mean the Steiner ?

if so.. its a done deal for the Trijicon.. that was no blur at all for me.. 

you mean the Steiner ?

if so.. its a done deal for the Trijicon.. that was no blur at all for me.. 

Yep....
Glad to be the guinea pig for ya.... its about the same issue as others like the Pro, T1, etc.... seems like nice glass though. Will bring it out tomorrow into good daylight and test it throughout the day. I’d love the Trij as I am a big fan of theirs. Just can’t justify the moola. Wasn’t suppose to be buying anything right now. Trying to get house ready for the market.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Yep....
Glad to be the guinea pig for ya.... its about the same issue as others like the Pro, T1, etc.... seems like nice glass though. Will bring it out tomorrow into good daylight and test it throughout the day. I’d love the Trij as I am a big fan of theirs. Just can’t justify the moola. Wasn’t suppose to be buying anything right now. Trying to get house ready for the market.

thanks for the update.. Trijicon it is.. 

4 hours ago, bhunted said:

Whelp, astigmatism still affects it. Will mount it tomorrow and see how it stands up to my other stuff.

Affects it how much? A few stupid questions, your glasses correct for astig? You adjusted the diopter? I have astig. But even if Im running a dot thats affected, I turn the illum down a bit and can still run it even if its starburst patterned a bit. 

Affects it how much? A few stupid questions, your glasses correct for astig? You adjusted the diopter? I have astig. But even if Im running a dot thats affected, I turn the illum down a bit and can still run it even if its starburst patterned a bit. 

Let me clarify. Its not as bad as the Aimpoints. Its better. But I cannot advise the OP if it will be good for him. He needs to fondle one.

I do what you do as I mentioned above. So yes to all your questions which are not stupid. I wish it was just a starburst. I see dead people. Ehem, I mean Haleys Comet so to speak. [emoji6]

I can dumb down the illum where it is pretty damn good. Doc says it cannot be totally eliminated with just glasses.

I was messing with it tonight in dim lighting and its good. Tamale I will work with it outside. Been down with bad sciatica so hopefully give yaz a better report when I can stand straight. [emoji16]