TRM9999

Bolt Buffer Pin Replacement for Ruger 10/22

The bolt buffer pin on my Ruger 10/22, the large one, broke recently. I assume it happened at the range that day. I was trying some high velocity ammo ( stinger, segmented).  Never thought this thick pin would have cracked in half midway. 

So in looking for a replacement on ebay I saw these (2 Recoil Shock Bolt Buffer Pin for Ruger 10/22 Viton + Stainless) and ordered them. They even state noise reducing.
Basically a smaller thinner SS pin wrapped in a silicone cover (looks like a heavy gauge electrical wire. I installed it wondering if it would be loose but it was snug enough to stay in place. Now just waiting for a chance to try it out. 

I did get a warning about trying these in my SW Victory, but you know I had to try a few out. No adverse effects seen. 

Stingers have screwed up more guns.  The brass is longer than a regular 22LR and most, virtually all, chambers are not designed to handle them.  This puts the bullet into the lands and pressure goes way up and accuracy way down.  Waste of time and money. Not to mention the beating the bolt and receiver do to the receiver.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, T Bill said:

Stingers have screwed up more guns.  The brass is longer than a regular 22LR and most, virtually all, chambers are not designed to handle them.  This puts the bullet into the lands and pressure goes way up and accuracy way down.  Waste of time and money. Not to mention the beating the bolt and receiver do to the receiver.  

This. Pretty much all 10/22 aftermarket barrels are bentz chambers as well, so makes it even worse. Also if going for accuracy, stick to subsonic in the 10/22.

I have replkaced said pin with a synthetic buffer similar to what Parker posted. I recommend them over the coated steel ones as the coated steel ones can shred the coating faster than the all polymer ones give up the ghost. 

• Like 2

I tried the new pin and all went well. Couldn't say where it was quieter or not. Couple of bullet misleads but that could be perfectly normal. I'll watch the wear and likely try the synthetic buffer pin when I get around to ordering one. 

Thanks for the comments!

15 hours ago, T Bill said:

Smooth out the top inside of the receiver.  Casting leaves it rough, impeding smooth operation.  Smooth out the bolt edges as well.

I wondered about this and if polishing those areas could adversely affect it. The first time I pulled it apart I noticed how rough everything is in there.
I also wondered if they ever made 'a better model'? Anyone know if the 10/22 Stainless is any more refined than the standard model?

Thanks.