almiz111

AR muzzle brake

I am not trying to piss you off but I just might anyway. Why does anybody put a brake on an AR? ARs have no kick. My Rock River is 20 inch SS with a match trigger and irons, I can put my nose on the charge handle all day, shoot a bunch and draw no blood.  

At the range the guy on the left and guy on the right are pounding my brains out. 

Is this it??

1. A muzzle brake is pretty

2. You imagine some terrible recoil.

3. Shooter is a sissy. LOL and HA.

OK maybe I am the SISSY.  Once more: ARS HAVE NO KICK. It's a big 22.   Amen. Can I get a Hallejluia?? (sp) 

Get a 308 and you might want a brake. And the guy next to you will really  be pissed.

Thanks. 

They are there to allow the shooter to remain on target/see hits and for quicker follow-up shots, at least that's what I put one on my rifle for.

None of my hunting rifles have a brake, and they kick quite a bit more than an AR (even in 308).

6 minutes ago, TokenEntry said:

*Meets the legal barrel length if you want to use a 14.5 barrel.

*It protects the rifling at the end of the barrel.

Regards,

TokenEntry

Actually in this regard they are quite useful.

I think what bites a lot of us in the ass in NJ is that since most places don't give a crap about flash hiders, everything pretty much comes with a threaded barrel these days. But here in NJ you can't, so the option is weld on a useless nut, or a useless but cool looking brake, so most people go with the brake. I know I did on a couple rifles. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Why are you saying  a brake is useless? It may be useless to you, but it is useful to many others. You could have the threads lathed off. Probably a lot cheaper than pinning  a brake. A parachute is useless to a suicide jumper but its not useless.

I mean I really don't know how to say it without either coming off like a jerk, mall ninja or humblebragging. But every time I've fired an AR type I have no problem hitting a paper plate as fast as I can pull the trigger out to 50 yards, with irons or a red dot. These things really don't kick at all, 5.56 was literally invented with having as little as possible recoil during full auto as a major consideration, and is incredibly easy to control in rapid fire "fully semi automatic" CNN mode. 

This post is not in any way intended to sound like braggadocio...

I think most people get a brake because the standard issue flash hider is not legal in the PRNJ.  It wouldn't look right with just the threads exposed on the end of the barrel.  So, if you have to pay for something to be permanently installed, the brake is the better choice. It provides a benefit of reducing muzzle movement which allows for quicker target re-acquisition, where as a nut provides no benefits.  

The cosmetic appeal is an important factor too.  Like cars, people like to customize their rifle.  Look at all the different types and colors of hand guards and butt stocks.  There are different colors of magazines.  The original M16 fixed stock and triangular hand guards from the Vietnam era are perfectly serviceable for what they are, but most people don't choose that for their privately own guns. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mossburger said:

I mean I really don't know how to say it without either coming off like a jerk, mall ninja or humblebragging. But every time I've fired an AR type I have no problem hitting a paper plate as fast as I can pull the trigger out to 50 yards, with irons or a red dot. These things really don't kick at all, 5.56 was literally invented with having as little as possible recoil during full auto as a major consideration, and is incredibly easy to control in rapid fire "fully semi automatic" CNN mode. 

Again, its not about recoil. Good technique can take you pretty far. But good technique and a good brake can take you farther.  But unless you are running on the clock you just might not detect the difference. If there was no advantage to it I guarantee top competitors wouldn't run one.  I mean its simple physics. If a brake reduces recoil by 50 to 70%, even if recoil is small, it will help control that muzzle. Sometimes that can be a bad thing. Thats why I mention neutral muzzle movement. I stopped running Battle Comps because I was actually experiencing a negative muzzle impulse. In other words the muzzle was kicking down, not up. I switched to Griffin's because they were more neutral. The KAC brake is supposed to be neutral even if you are shooting at an angle. Keep in mind that even a flash hider acts as a brake to some degree. Just not as efficiently as a dedicated brake or compensator. Back to the KAC brake, that was a lot of dev and money for a brake for spec ops. Im sure they didnt ask for it because of no advantage. Im not saying I couldnt survive an encounter without one or my shooting would go to crap. But in the words of Jack Sparrow, "Pirate!" meaning Ill take every advantage I can get.

Thanks Gents. I really mean it. As usual you have educated me.  

I will still be twitching from the guy at the next table. LOL.

As for my jerkness - yah a little intentional though. Hey I used to be an Altar Boy but got fired for sneaking too much wine.

• Like 1

@almiz111 I know how it is to be pounded in the face by a guy or girl next to me shooting with a brake. But its not that bad. I have a ar15 in 5.56 no brake, and my ar47 in 7.62x39 with a brake. Just think when you twitch think of it a MURCA hitting you in the face LOL

It's not about being a man or being a sissy, it's about winning.  With a good brake coupled up with light weight reciprocating parts (bcg/buffer) I can double tap a 17" circle out to 50 yards with splits running around 0.15-0.18 seconds

I can't do that with a naked muzzle. 

If you watch this video you'll see what i mean.  Look at the muzzle, if it wasn't for the smoke or the sound you'd have no idea the rifle is firing.

Here's another video where you can see the brake being of benefit.  Again, without the audio you can barely tell the rifles firing.  I could not shoot those 5 targets that quickly without a muzzle device.

So, that's why I use one, and also why every single 3-gun champion does as well.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mossburger said:

Your humblebragging failed. Move it past 50 yards. 

Your standard paper plate is either 8 or 10 inches. Lets call it 8. At 50 yards that 16MOA you can bounce around and actually stick to your statement. A good comp with some decent technique you can basically double tap a 50 yard target and keep it to about 4"-5" spread. At 300 yards, that 16MOA of bouncing around is a 50" plate. The largest target you'll get at that range in competition is 18"x30" cut it down to what you get with a decent comp and you are now looking at 30". That's the difference between a minor correction to POA vs a major one. And that's assuming that you are using you are just using good form to get that minute of paper plate performance at 50. If you are plugging in your brain and eyeballs to only pull the trigger when you pass over the target, you are cutting it down form what the platform will do. 

From me testing out my new 3 gun upper and a new trigger, offhand, one sight picture and rocking the trigger as fast as possible, I was putting three shots into the above 4.5" area running sub 0.2 second splits. I own guns without good comps, they do not permit the same. 

Also without a timer, your definition of "fast" may be lacking. I can run a prepped and coated ALG trigger faster than I can run a pot luck mil-spec trigger, and I can run GOOD triggers faster than the ALG. 

For competition this all adds up over the course of a match form negligible to meaningful quantities of time. 

• Like 1

I got a BCM break that looks just like a bird cage ……. Got it cuz if ya don't look tacticool on the firing line all the other kids laugh at ya...…. Jus when your shooting with it set up between 2 people you don't like.... Its obnoxiously LOUD!