Sign in to follow this  
jm1827

Mushy Brakes

Changed the pads on my 2004 Toyota Camry and now have more travel in my brake pedal and it is very mushy.  Went ahead and bled the lines but there was really no air in them and after bleeding them there was no change in the pedal.

I changed the rotors and calipers about a year ago, should I change out the master cylinder next?

7 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Are you sure no air?

and vacuum hose leak?

Definitely no air, each wheel bled clear brake fluid with no air bubbles at all, I use a clear tube and it was definitely air free fluid.  Didn't check the vacuum hose leak. 

3 minutes ago, jm1827 said:

Definitely no air, each wheel bled clear brake fluid with no air bubbles at all, I use a clear tube and it was definitely air free fluid.  Didn't check the vacuum hose leak. 

I’d start there. And keep mindful of MC fluids level 

Check the rubber brake hoses at each wheel and make sure that you don't have an aneurysm. Check while someone is pumping the pedal. If you find a hose that needs to be replaced, replace all four hoses and I'd recommend using braided stainless lines.

You also may want to consider taking it someplace where they can power-bleed the brakes.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

Update- checked all of the brake hoses with someone pumping, all look good no bulges.  Checked for leaks, none. 

Checked for air again and on one tire, each time my wife pumped the pedal a small air bubble came out, did this for an a complete reservoir of brake fluid still get a small air bubble each time she pumps it.

I am changing the master cylinder next.

22 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

With the engine off pump the brakes. Does the pedal travel the same each time you press it, or does it get firmer?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Doesn't get any firmer, I can go all the way down each time with engine on or off.

Update- checked all of the brake hoses with someone pumping, all look good no bulges.  Checked for leaks, none. 
Checked for air again and on one tire, each time my wife pumped the pedal a small air bubble came out, did this for an a complete reservoir of brake fluid still get a small air bubble each time she pumps it.
I am changing the master cylinder next.
Doesn't get any firmer, I can go all the way down each time with engine on or off.
That's your master cylinder for sure.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 2