NJSigfan

Passport needed to apply for permits?

Admittingly it's been about a year, maybe 18 months since I last applied for permits but today I stopped at the local NJSP station to review the process.  The trooper who assisted me was cordial and provided my with the information and where i can find the paperwork online.  It wasn't until I got home and reviewed the packet he gave me which stated...the need to bring a US Passport or other legal document to show citizenship?  When did that become a "required" part of the process?

You do need to show your immigration status of you're not a US citizen. I had to show my green card and they wanted to see my passport too. They admitted the passport wasn't mandatory.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Perryville Barracks off 173

it actually says and I quote " All applicants who are United States Citizens will be required to provide proof of citizenship when submitting an application for a Firearms ID card or handgun permit. This can be in the form of a passport or certified or notarized birth certificate or immigration/naturalization papers"

If they want to make that a requirement then the superintendent needs to make that part of the STS-033. Then and only then will that fall within the statute.

The police can likely justify it by saying they have to verify citizenship or green card status in order to avoid giving NJ FOID cards to illegal aliens in violation of federal law.

Remember, one of Murphy's campaign promises was NJ Driver licenses for the "undocumented".

6 hours ago, kman said:

The police can likely justify it by saying they have to verify citizenship or green card status in order to avoid giving NJ FOID cards to illegal aliens in violation of federal law.

Remember, one of Murphy's campaign promises was NJ Driver licenses for the "undocumented".

This is true.  The STS-033 could have been modified in anticipation of our driver's licenses not meaning shit because Murphy's criminals will have the same as us.  I wonder if this means I won't have to bring the 6 points of ID to MVA any more?  After all why will we have to verify our citizenship for anyway? 

I applied for my NJ FID 15 yrs ago at the State police barracks off of route 54 they would not take my application without a copy of my birth certificate.So this is nothing new a few years later i applied for pistol permits i wanted 4 i was told no the limit was 3 i questioned it i was told i was wrong that the website info was not correct i had to void out the money order and go get another for 3 permits.Everyone told me to question them dont take anything from them tell them what the law is now it takes 6 months for permits and the last time i had to call trenton because they claimed they never got them they were sent down 2 mores times and they still claimed they never got them the 4th set magically arrived almost 7 months later.

Hmmm, I wonder if this has something to do with NJ drivers licenses not being compliant with the Homeland Security REAL ID requirements? 

http://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/real-id-act-airport-security

probably not, since NJ got an extended exemption for now while they try and get their act together but you never know what the NJ NICS process is doing compared to the regular federal NICS...

just a thought.

-Jim

I applied for my NJ FID 15 yrs ago at the State police barracks off of route 54 they would not take my application without a copy of my birth certificate.So this is nothing new a few years later i applied for pistol permits i wanted 4 i was told no the limit was 3 i questioned it i was told i was wrong that the website info was not correct i had to void out the money order and go get another for 3 permits.Everyone told me to question them dont take anything from them tell them what the law is now it takes 6 months for permits and the last time i had to call trenton because they claimed they never got them they were sent down 2 mores times and they still claimed they never got them the 4th set magically arrived almost 7 months later.

You can apply for 100 permits, if you choose to waste the money that is your right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have personally seen a guy obtain and execute 50 permits. (This was before one gun a month)

If you have the funds, go buy as many as you want. There is no way that buying that many doesn't qualify you as a collector under one gun a month.