fishnut

New model 19!

3 hours ago, Purple Patrick said:

Fondled it at the show, not sure it will take place of my 686

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It isn't supposed to.  It is meant as a duty or carry 357.

1 minute ago, Purple Patrick said:

Pssshhh duty or carry revolver? What is this 1890? Or 1990 if you are a NYC cop

That was the original purpose of the 19.  

I like them. I’d have to see one in person though. A lot of newer blued guns don’t look nearly as nice as their older counterparts to me. The older bluing processes worked better but were more hazardous to the workers. I like the newer model 66 too in stainless.

As a civilian I don’t think I’d feel undergunned with 6 rounds of 357 or even some of the hotter 38 special +p. Reality is that this in NJ so carry is not going to happen here for a long time,  if ever, so if I decide to get one, it’d be a dresser gun. Revolvers are great at that task imho and if there’s something in my house in the middle of the night that 6 rounds of 357 can’t handle then there is something extremely wrong in the world... 

-Jim

4 hours ago, High Exposure said:

The lock has been known to fail and lock the whole gun up.

Not to say that it doesn't happen but I've only ever read about it - I've never seen it. My understanding is that the accidentally engaging failure is more likely to occur on lightweight, high recoil guns. Think 329 PD (<30 oz .44 Magnum or the 11 oz J-frames). If it really worries you, remove the locking pieces - takes about 15 minutes. If you object on aesthetic grounds, you can purchase a plug to fill the hole - and before someone objects to that on aesthetic grounds, I suggest you look at your pre-lock Smiths and you'll see that there was a frame plug there on the old guns anyway.

Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

@Old School: $650 to $800

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Not to say that it doesn't happen but I've only ever read about it - I've never seen it. My understanding is that the accidentally engaging failure is more likely to occur on lightweight, high recoil guns. Think 329 PD (<30 oz .44 Magnum or the 11 oz J-frames). If it really worries you, remove the locking pieces - takes about 15 minutes. If you object on aesthetic grounds, you can purchase a plug to fill the hole - and before someone objects to that on aesthetic grounds, I suggest you look at your pre-lock Smiths and you'll see that there was a frame plug there on the old guns anyway.

Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

No fugly plug on my old 15-2. 

46 minutes ago, siderman said:

No fugly plug on my old 15-2. 

It's there, yours was very well pressed in and polished before bluing. It's on all S&W revolvers. It's the hammer stud and it is pressed into the frame. Here's an old pre Model 10 (an M&P) - rather prominent on this one with the age and finish loss...

4j3yww.jpg

And here's a newer one, with the IL a Model 357, with a Scandium frame and a stainless pin - which makes it very easy to see...

2h4cpd3.jpg

It varies from gun to gun dependent on quality of polishing before finishing.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

1 hour ago, Pizza Bob said:

It's there, yours was very well pressed in and polished before bluing. It's on all S&W revolvers. It's the hammer stud and it is pressed into the frame. Here's an old pre Model 10 (an M&P) - rather prominent on this one with the age and finish loss...

4j3yww.jpg

And here's a newer one, with the IL a Model 357, with a Scandium frame and a stainless pin - which makes it very easy to see...

2h4cpd3.jpg

It varies from gun to gun dependent on quality of polishing before finishing.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

How about that, it is there practically invisible. Had to put a magnifying glass to it to see it. Was focusing on the top side of the button where the current lock is. I suppose since mine has only a few rnds  thru it the the recoil hasn't had a chance to open up the seam.

Kinda necroposting here almost two months on, but I fell in love with GFH's old green painted renta-beater 19 (a 19-4, to be precise) with the 6" barrel, and so I've since ordered two of them. I can pick up my 19-3 next week finally, and then another 6"-er, a 19-4 CHP anniversary edition, brand new, unfired in the presentation case. What a gorgeous gun and what a shooter! So, seems like I'm a wheel-gun man after all, though I'm [barely] a millenial young buck. There is just something so peaceful and comfortable about shooting a big, all-steel revolver with some nice soft-recoiling .38 Specials.

• Like 1