gfl216

Favorite Steak House

Best steak?
Tad's Steaks in NYC back in the 60s.  $1.19, steak, baked potato and spoonful of green beans.  Terrific value for the money!

d808a93e71adac26be1c2f05a2392153.png

And you got to rub shoulders with the pimps, whores, hustlers and cutthroats who owned Times Square back then ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 07002er said:

d808a93e71adac26be1c2f05a2392153.png

And you got to rub shoulders with the pimps, whores, hustlers and cutthroats who owned Times Square back then ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes those were the days!!!

That photo was much later.  Window says 7.99 for the special.

On 6/20/2018 at 6:11 AM, Tunaman said:

Shop Rite has Porterhouse on sale right now for 5.99lb and they are great!:lol:

Not sure about the quality...most probably USDA Choice.

You can get USDA Prime occasionally at Costco. Also seen dried aged steaks at Whole Foods and Fairway.

1 hour ago, PD2K said:

Not sure about the quality...most probably USDA Choice.

You can get USDA Prime occasionally at Costco. Also seen dried aged steaks at Whole Foods and Fairway.

Costco is almost the only place I’ve seen USDA Prime beef for sale. I’ve seen it at Wegmans (wagyu cuts, too) but I don’t have easy access to one.    I assume Restaurant Depot is a good source,but I’m not eligible for a membership. 

On 5/15/2018 at 9:07 AM, diamondd817 said:

Idk, I've eaten at Peter Luger's (both in Brooklyn and Great Neck), and I find it's way overrated. I prefer their burgers over their steaks. Their steaks are chewy and tough most of the time. 

I prefer Arthur's in Morris Plains over Luger's any day. 

But then agian, I also like Charlie Brown's queen cut prime rib, so what the hell do I know.

Did anyone mention Steve's Sizziling Steaks on Rte 17? The damned saltiest steaks you will ever have, but they are delicious. (Yep, 3 posts above, hahahaha)

Like I said a year and half ago, Peter Luger's is way overrated:

https://nypost.com/2019/10/29/peter-luger-given-zero-stars-in-brutal-new-york-times-review/amp/

• Agree 2

Steakhouse 85 in New Brusnswick might not be the best, but I like it and it has seafood as well.  What could be better?  And although parking usually sucks, the River Palm Terrace in Edgewater is my favorite place for steak.  

• Informative 1

On 5/5/2018 at 9:40 PM, JT Custom Guns said:

Ruth's Chris Steak house - Berlin, MD.

Not just any Ruth's Chris - This is the Best on the planet!

Ruth’s Chris Steak House Berlin is located within the GlenRiddle Clubhouse and is open to the public. Built in the 1920s, the clubhouse was home to the legendary race horses Man of War and War Admiral (Our founder, Ruth Fertel, loved the racing industry). The clubhouse and restaurant feature restored original woodwork, and the old stall doors are now table tops in the bar and grill.

filet_shrimp.jpg

filet-steak.jpg

Very good place.  Visited there and some glass blowing shop (run by an A-hole)  while staying in Fenwick Island.  

Been a few years, but liked Peter Lugers.

Went to a couple of work Christmas parties at Del Friscos which was good. They also catered the Cigar show I went to at the Marriott Marquee in midtown about 15 years ago.

I've been told Berns, in Tampa is excellent, but haven't been there yet.

This is a fun thread topic.  As a dedicated carnivore, part of my travels for business and pleasure have allowed me the good fortune to be able to enjoy dining at some excellent and memorable restaurants, made even better if my firm was picking up the meal tab.  Visiting project sites with clients during the lengthy construction phase of a project, gave me the chance to scope out some of the better local establishments and see which ones I preferred, returning for a repeat meal, when possible.  Yet, over the past 30+ years we have all seen how the quintessential traditional American steak house has taken a back seat in many cities and our culture to themed or destination restaurants, with their obsession with culinary fashion of the moment, unusual, if not bizarre ingredient pairing and flashy minimalist presentations. 

There is really nothing wrong with that, but for me, there are times when one gets a hunger craving that nothing will satisfy you but this time-tested menu at a distinguished steakhouse:  Start with an attitude-adjusting martini (straight up), followed by a decadent shrimp cocktail appetizer, and for the main event, a perfectly prepared, certified Angus USDA Prime, thick-cut ribeye steak with a simple salt & pepper dry rub, seared on both sides, cooked medium-rare over a hot flame, and served with a side of creamed spinach and baked potato, complimented by a glass or two of an elegant Cabernet Sauvignon or Bordeaux.

The steakhouses that I have dined at around the country, for the most part understand that what really matters is their grilling technique and the ingredient list, which has remained largely unchanged from the 1950’s to present day.  The ones that are most memorable to me and which I recommend if you find yourself in those cities, are as follows:

AVB-AMG

Sparks Steakhouse
Manhattan, NY
I know… I know… one of the most famous tourist-trap restaurants in NYC and is one of the highest grossing independent restaurants in the U.S.  But I have dined there for dinner at least 10 times in the past 30 years and have found it to be consistently top quality for both food and service.  My usual order is what I stated above, except I always get their simple salt & pepper dry rubbed prime sirloin steak.  Also, my wife and clients enjoy the theatrical changing of the white linen table cloth prior to serving the main course.

Smith & Wollensky
Manhattan, NY
From entertaining clients there over the years, I agree with others who describe S&W at the
quintessential New York steakhouse.  I have never had a bad cut of beef there, or lamb chop or veal chop, but even more pleasantly surprising is the consistently high-quality of their market-fresh seafood.

Barclay Prime
Philadelphia, PA
They served up a delicious meal starting with oysters on the half shell appetizer, followed by 20 oz, bone-in prime 40-day dry-aged NY Strip, with Kennett Square mushrooms on the side.

The Prime Rib
Washington DC
While this restaurant chain started in Baltimore, MD, it opened up in DC back in the mid-1970’s.  It served a large cut of roast prime rib that left a definite good impression.

Morton’s The Steakhouse
Chicago, IL
This is the birthplace of what is now a national chain. 
Excellent certified USDA Prime steaks served in an old-world traditional setting.  But he parading of the beef around the dining room is a bit gauche for my taste.

Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse
Chicago, IL
Another dining institution that serves grass-fed Australian beef that is wet-aged for a minimum of 75 days.  For those who care, their cattle are free range raised, GMO/hormones/antibiotic free.

801 Chophouse KC
Kansas City, MO
They serve a delicious Kansas City Strip Steak, but the Ribeye and Delmonico are not far behind, with black truffle butter on the side.

5A5 Steak Lounge
San Francisco, CA

This is a stylish and contemporary take on the traditional steakhouse.  The name comes from the designation of “A5” as the highest grade of beef in the world.  They serve 100% Japanese Wagyu beef, along with both American and Australian raised Kobe beef.  A good way to try out these hard-to-find treats.  I had the 8 oz. A5 Wagyu Ribeye with truffle sauce and shimeji mushrooms, which tastes very different to me compared to USDA certified Angus beef, in an interesting way.

St Elmo's Steak House
Indianapolis, IA
While not inexpensive, their USDA Prime, dry-aged, corn fed Midwest Black Angus beef was absolutely delicious.  I splurged and ordered their 32-oz, 60-day dry-aged Tom-A-Hawk Ribeye which was preceded by the jumbo shrimp cocktail with sinus-clearing horseradish sauce.  All-in-all, it was a religious experience and one of my favorites!

New Jersey…???   I am still looking to find one….  Root’s Steakhouse in my hometown is very good, but not in the league of those steakhouses listed above, IMHO.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

This is a fun thread topic.  As a dedicated carnivore, part of my travels for business and pleasure have allowed me the good fortune to be able to enjoy dining at some excellent and memorable restaurants, made even better if my firm was picking up the meal tab.  Visiting project sites with clients during the lengthy construction phase of a project, gave me the chance to scope out some of the better local establishments and see which ones I preferred.  Yet, over the past 30+ years we have all seen how the quintessential traditional American steak house has taken a back seat in many cities and our culture to themed or destination restaurants now, with their obsession with technique, unusual, if not bizarre ingredient pairing and flashy minimalist presentations. 

There is really nothing wrong with that, but for me, there are times when one gets a hunger that nothing will satisfy you but this time-tested menu at a distinguished steakhouse:  Start with an attitude-adjusting martini (straight up), followed by a decadent shrimp cocktail appetizer, and for the main event, a perfectly prepared, thick-cut ribeye steak, cooked medium-rare, with a side of creamed spinach and baked potato, complimented by a glass or two of an elegant Cabernet Sauvignon.

The steakhouses that I have dined at around the country, for the most part understand that what really matters is their grilling technique and the ingredient list, which has remained largely unchanged from the 1950’s to present day.  The ones that are most memorable to me and which I recommend if you find yourself in those cities, are as follows:

AVB-AMG

Sparks Steakhouse
Manhattan, NY
I know… I know… one of the most famous tourist-trap restaurants in NYC and is one of the highest grossing independent restaurants in the U.S.  But I have dined there for dinner at least 10 times in the past 30 years and have found it to be consistently top quality for both food and service.  My usual order is what I stated above, except I always get their simple salt & pepper dry rubbed prime sirloin steak.  Also, my wife and clients enjoy the theatrical changing of the white linen table cloth prior to serving the main course.

Smith & Wollensky
Manhattan, NY
From entertaining clients there over the years, I agree with others who describe S&W at the
quintessential New York steakhouse.  I have never had a bad cut of beef there, or lamb chop or veal chop, but even more pleasantly surprising is the consistently high-quality of their market-fresh seafood.

Barclay Prime
Philadelphia, PA
They served up a delicious meal starting with oysters on the half shell appetizer, followed by 20 oz, bone-in prime 40-day dry-aged NY Strip, with Kennett Square mushrooms on the side.

The Prime Rib
Washington DC
While this restaurant chain started in Baltimore, MD, it opened up in DC back in the mid-1970’s.  It served a large cut of roast prime rib that left a definite good impression.

Morton’s The Steakhouse
Chicago, IL
This is the birthplace of what is now a national chain. 
Excellent certified USDA Prime steaks served in an old-world traditional setting.  But he parading of the beef around the dining room is a bit gauche for my taste.

Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse
Chicago, IL
Another dining institution that serves grass-fed Australian beef that is wet-aged for a minimum of 75 days.  For those who care, their cattle are free range raised, GMO/hormones/antibiotic free.

801 Chophouse KC
Kansas City, MO
They serve a delicious Kansas City Strip Steak, but the Ribeye and Delmonico are not far behind, with black truffle butter on the side.

5A5 Steak Lounge
San Francisco, CA

This is a stylish and contemporary take on the traditional steakhouse.  The name comes from the designation of “A5” as the highest grade of beef in the world.  They serve 100% Japanese Wagyu beef, along with both American and Australian raised Kobe beef.  A good way to try out these hard-to-find treats.  I had the 8 oz. A5 Wagyu Ribeye with truffle sauce and shimeji mushrooms, which tastes very different to me compared to USDA certified Angus beef, in an interesting way.

St Elmo's Steak House
Indianapolis, IA
While not inexpensive, their USDA Prime, dry-aged, corn fed Midwest Black Angus beef was absolutely delicious.  I splurged and ordered their 32-oz, 60-day dry-aged Tom-A-Hawk Ribeye which was preceded by the jumbo shrimp cocktail with sinus-clearing horseradish sauce.  All-in-all, it was a religious experience and one of my favorites!

New Jersey…???   I am still looking to find one….  Root’s Steakhouse in my hometown is very good, but not in the league of those steakhouses listed above, IMHO.

Haven't been to all of them but I would concur.  I would add Diamond Lil''s in Salt Lake.  Don't know if they're still in business  Also the Old Salt Lake City Jail. Maybe the steak wasn't the best but you ate in a cell!!!

Gallaghers in AC is hit or miss.  Their signature Manhattan is great if they make it right. Not a steakhouse but I've never been disappointed ordering a filet at Cappricio's in AC.

Working for the government I was under different constraints.  It used to be you had to itemize breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Made you become creative when you filed your travel voucher.  Then they changed to Meals and Incidental expenses.  If you wanted to spend it all on dinner that was okay.

• Informative 1

For something more local, @AVB-AMG (and other carnivores in Central NJ) take a little ride to Easton, PA - a straight shot for you on 78 - and check out the Oak Steakhouse. I've only been there once - it was excellent - but have friends who have been there many times and say it's consistently delish.  https://www.oak-steakhouse.com/

• Informative 1

14 hours ago, njpilot said:

Been a few years, but liked Peter Lugers.

Went to a couple of work Christmas parties at Del Friscos which was good. They also catered the Cigar show I went to at the Marriott Marquee in midtown about 15 years ago.

I've been told Berns, in Tampa is excellent, but haven't been there yet.

I have not made it to Berns yet, but I did go to Malio's for a Christmas party and the steak was quite good.  Nice views, right on the Riverwalk.

Was trying to get dinner reservations for Thanksgiving day also, at Berns or Columbia in Ybor, but they were booked up months ago. I did get into Jackson's, at least food is decent there but yer paying for the views there  as well---

23 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

Like I said a year and half ago, Peter Luger's is way overrated:

https://nypost.com/2019/10/29/peter-luger-given-zero-stars-in-brutal-new-york-times-review/amp/

@diamondd817:

I read that same devastating review when it came out in The New York Times today and have to agree with it.  It is very sad that Peter Luger's, a famous institution and "THE" quintessential steakhouse, that was the genesis for quite a number of off-shoots, has deteriorated so much over the past 15+ years.  The fact that they in this day and age still do not take credit cards is ridiculous.  I could forgive them that major inconvenience if the steak and meal made up for it, but it does not.  At this point, with all of the other alternative choices in the New York metro region, I doubt I will ever go back to Peter Luger's.  They certainly are not the first notable restaurant to coast on its reputation and then realizing after the fact that that coasting was down hill.....

AVB-AMG

3 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

@diamondd817:

I read that same devastating review when it came out in The New York Times today and have to agree with it.  It is very sad that Peter Luger's, a famous institution and "THE" quintessential steakhouse, that was the genesis for quite a number of off-shoots, has deteriorated so much over the past 15+ years.  The fact that they in this day and age still do not take credit cards is ridiculous.  I could forgive them that major inconvenience if the steak and meal made up for it, but it does not.  At this point, with all of the other alternative choices in the New York metro region, I doubt I will ever go back to Peter Luger's.  They certainly are not the first notable restaurant to coast on its reputation and then realizing after the fact that that coasting was down hill.....

AVB-AMG

In support of your opinion I just saw on television news the NYT gave Lugers zero srars.

Coasting on their reputation.

I cant believe none of you guys have ever gone to Steves Sizzling Steaks on RT 17 in East Rutherford/Carlstadt.  Ole Steve is gone now but his hunting and fishing  buddy was Ernest Hemmingway.  All of his guns are mounted all over the restaurant and hanging from the ceiling.  Is an awesome place. There is even a Giant Tuna mounted on the wall.  Great food.

36 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

I cant believe none of you guys have ever gone to Steves Sizzling Steaks on RT 17 in East Rutherford/Carlstadt.  Ole Steve is gone now but his hunting and fishing  buddy was Ernest Hemmingway.  All of his guns are mounted all over the restaurant and hanging from the ceiling.  Is an awesome place. There is even a Giant Tuna mounted on the wall.  Great food.

It's been mentioned more than once in this thread.

On 5/10/2018 at 2:12 PM, PD2K said:

Been there along with the other Luger clones (Wolfgangs, Ben & Jacks, etc). They're good but not as good as the OG.

If I can't go to Lugers and Old Homestead, my 3rd choice is Keens.

@PD2K:

I had forgotten about Keens Steakhouse, (formerly known as Keens Chop House), until I you mentioned it in your post.  This circa-1885 restaurant in Manhattan’s Garment District has one of the most interesting interior décors, which gives it a special machismo atmosphere, yet also a warm ambiance, that is unique of any of the NYC steakhouses.  Much of this can be attributed to the approx. 90,000 Dutch white clay (churchwarden) smoking pipes suspended from the ceiling.  As far as cuisine, I assume the steaks here are good, but have never tried one there.  Each time I have gone I have ordered the house specialty: The Mutton Chop, which is a 26-oz, 2 inch thick saddle of meat from the loin section of the lamb, skirted with fat.  FWIW, I find that Mutton has a more pronounced flavor than regular lamb.

AVB-AMG

Keen's Steakhouse, New York, NY

On 5/11/2018 at 1:32 PM, Tunaman said:

Steves Sizziling Steaks in East Rutherford on RT 17. is my go to steak house.  My Brother in law is the bartender there so sit at the bar and eat and tell him I sent you.

Steve's is my favorite for a casual steak dinner. River Palm in Edgewater for something fancy.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:37 PM, AVB-AMG said:

St Elmo's Steak House
Indianapolis, IA

Love that shrimp cocktail!  I also hit up Harry & Izzy's for it.... and at the Indy Airport when I was leaving...

The Keg in Toronto had the best prime rib I've ever had.  

Locally the wife and I like to hit up Cliffs steakhouse in Englewood cliffs.  Great Ribeyes and filets while decently priced with amazing sides 

Gotta try out Steve's sizzling steaks on 17...  Always pass by it wondering how good it is

11 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Love that shrimp cocktail!  I also hit up Harry & Izzy's for it.... and at the Indy Airport when I was leaving...

Completely agree, the shrimp cocktail is outstanding.  I believe Harry & Izzy's is somehow affiliated with St. Elmos, I also though that Payton Manning was part owner at one time, not sure if that was true or not.

Been to plenty of the "top" NYC & Boston steakhouses and I would probably say the one of the best porterhouse steaks I ever had was served at Maloney & Porcelli's in NYC. I've been there more than once and the consistency isn't great but I can say that one time... it was great.

That being said, best steak I ever had, Little Alley Steak House, Roswell GA. The wine/bourbon/scotch selection is bananas! 

We tried a place called Wolfgangs on the main drag in Somerset, NJ.  I had something called a Tomahawk, which is a giant steak bone-in....lasted for for 3 meals.  The side of mashed potatoes is the best I have ever eaten, and I make a mean mashed potato at home.

Wolfgang is not the Puck brand.  Apparently he was head waiter at Lugers in Brooklyn for about 25 years.  I agree that Lugers is all hype. Last time I met some friends there and wasn't getting the vibe that was so special for $100 per head.  Ok it is tasty, but not 10x as tasty as a good cut from the store.

I wonder what happened to Arthurs in New Brunswick.  Used to meet with old friends every so often and chomp on the 48-oa slab.

On 11/4/2019 at 11:06 AM, greatgunstatenj said:

Been to plenty of the "top" NYC & Boston steakhouses and I would probably say the one of the best porterhouse steaks I ever had was served at Maloney & Porcelli's in NYC. I've been there more than once and the consistency isn't great but I can say that one time... it was great.

@greatgunstatenj:

As far as I am concerned, when it comes to "Favorite Steak House(s)", not only does the all of the food and ingredients, especially the steak, have to consistently be of top notch quality and properly prepared to your specific order request, but the restaurant's atmosphere must also be to your liking, whatever aesthetic you prefer.  With that in mind, having dined multiple times at Malonely & Porcelli's on 6th Avenue adjacent to Rockefeller Center. I will agree with you on the undependable consistency of the proper preparation of the food, but as importantly, have to point out that the restaurant's atmosphere is not what I would call enjoyable.

Granted, the 7-8 times I have dined there over the past 20+ years, it has always been for a business lunch with 3-5 other business associates, so I cannot say what dinner might be like, even though the menu is quite similar.  FYI, the ground-level restaurant underwent a major interior renovation back in 2012 and the result is a two-level space that, while providing some nice views to the north and east, also has many hard surfaces that reflect and reverberate sound.  The result is a very noisy restaurant that at peak capacity, produces an audible cacophony din that makes clearly hearing normal conversation with your dining companions quite challenging.  For a total enjoyable dining experience, especially when one is paying "New York prices", that is a deal breaker for me.  I really only would go there due to its convenient location in Midtown Manhattan and because my clients or associates enjoyed it AND I had an expense account so I was not really paying the bill out of my pocket.  Therefore, for those reasons, I omitted this restaurant from my list....

AVB-AMG

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 6:54 AM, Handyman said:

You guys all sound like AVB. I like to keep it simple:

Ponderosa-Steakhouse-exterior-redesign.j

On 5/15/2018 at 8:11 AM, capt14k said:

None left in NJ. Of course PA has both Ponderosa and Bonanza. What was the other horrible "steakhouse" buffet place? There was one on Rt 516 in Old Bridge? Or was that a Ponderosa?

@Handyman:

As the corollary to this thread topic, the worst dining experiences that I have had in my adult life at a steakhouse and therefore try to avoid if at all possible, include most chain restaurants, including Ponderosa Steakhouse, and:

- Peter Luger's, (see earlier posts on how this place has gone down hill)
- Ruby Tuesday, (as they continue to close many restaurants it may just be a matter of time before they go out of business)
- Ruth Chris Steak House, (are people truly excited to hear the sizzling sound of boiling butter under a steak being served?)
- Texas de Brazil in NYC (Brazilian-style churrascaria steakhouses, where servers come to your table with skewers of beef for you to choose.)

AVB-AMG

I'll confess I was bitterly disappointed when McDonald's made the unfortunate decision to do away with the #2 meal (two chesseburgers). Happily it now appears reinstated, so I can avoid the risk of going to Peter Luger's.

Steakhouses are all ridiculously overpriced. If you get a nice cut of meat and use a sous vide and a cast iron skillet, pretty much any determined person can outdo them. 

Me at breakfast with the AVB family:

• Haha 3