gfl216

Favorite Steak House

20 hours ago, Handyman said:

Steakhouses are all ridiculously overpriced. If you get a nice cut of meat and use a sous vide and a cast iron skillet, pretty much any determined person can outdo them. 

@Handyman:

Yes, almost all of the really good steakhouses and a fair amount of the mediocre ones are all very expensive.
While I have heard about the sous vide method of cooking, I have never tried it.
We use our outdoor gas grill to cook most of our meats and every once in awhile I will splurge and spend the extra money for Certified Angus USDA Prime grade beef and/or dry aged.  Our gas grill can get very hot and by using an accurate meat thermometer and I can get our desired level of "doneness" which is medium rare.  But I think there is a difference and as much as I have tried, and while I may have come close, I have not outdone them.  I am an amateur and they are professionals.

Maybe it is just my imagination or just psychological, but when I get a nicely prepared steak at one of the steakhouses on my "best of" list, they always seem to have a richer flavor, are more juicy and just taste better.  I assume it is a combination of top quality beef, their dry rub preparation and expert skill in cooking beef on a regular basis to ensure consistency.  I have a feeling that I am not alone in this sentiment.....

AVB-AMG

P.S. - Enjoy your "jelly"......  and "pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?"

I would add that if you vacation at the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas, the Bahamian steakhouse was quite impressive.  It isn't cheap, but nothing there is.  Also an option on the absurdly-priced mealplan, which I think has outpaced Disneyworld park tickets in annual inflation.

On the other hand, Bobby Flay has a place elsewhere on the property and is perhaps the worst meal I have ever had.  Who thought a large bunch of Cilantro made a good garnish on a veal chop?  It doesn't.

I mean seriously, how hard is it to stay on topic... when that topic is a big, delicious, juicy premium steak?... With a side of creamed spinach... and preferably (I would respectfully suggest) some lobster mac & cheese?

Focus, people! Focus.

Gentle reminder - no politics allowed in general discussion - no matter how angry you are or how tempting it might be to throw in a political curve ball. As someone who appreciates a nice steak... do NOT ruin this steak thread...  I mean it! :girl_devil:

Speaking of which, why oh why the persistant popularity of porterhouse? I've always thought of porterhouse fans as knuckle-draggers (much like Porkrollers)… and the filet mignon people as being more refined and dignified (i.e., the Taylor Hammers). Discuss amongst yourselves!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Can we all agree that the various fine cuts of beef being discussed here should NEVER be cooked past medium-rare?

Of course we can.  Medium, medium well, and well done are all culinary crimes of the highest order.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, 10X said:

Can we all agree that the various fine cuts of beef being discussed here should NEVER be cooked past medium-rare?

Of course we can.  Medium, medium well, and well done are all culinary crimes of the highest order.

Concur!!! Well anything is a crime 

On 11/8/2019 at 3:26 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

I mean seriously, how hard is it to stay on topic... when that topic is a big, delicious, juicy premium steak?... With a side of creamed spinach... and preferably (I would respectfully suggest) some lobster mac & cheese?

Focus, people! Focus.

Gentle reminder - no politics allowed in general discussion - no matter how angry you are or how tempting it might be to throw in a political curve ball. As someone who appreciates a nice steak... do NOT ruin this steak thread...  I mean it! :girl_devil:

Speaking of which, why oh why the persistant popularity of porterhouse? I've always thought of porterhouse fans as knuckle-draggers (much like Porkrollers)… and the filet mignon people as being more refined and dignified (i.e., the Taylor Hammers). Discuss amongst yourselves!

Its hard.

for the record i make the best steak along with home made cream spinach.... I wont even argue that fact.

I use to love porterhouse and skirt but in my aging years i seem to have found the love of a Ribeye with or without the bone.

23 hours ago, 10X said:

100% Correct

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, remixer said:

Its hard.

for the record i make the best steak along with home made cream spinach.... I wont even argue that fact.

I use to love porterhouse and skirt but in my aging years i seem to have found the love of a Ribeye with or without the bone.

100% Correct

Prove it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

A filet is a nice cut. For a chick. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

14 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

@Mrs. Peel:

I dare say that while I have never had lobster mac & cheese, it sounds so deliciously rich as to be a main course / entree dish all by its self.... While creamed spinach and baked potato with sour cream are my two favorite sides with steak, to each there own....

FYI - I recently purchased a big porterhouse steak.  Once cooking was completed I cut off the filet from the bone for my wife to enjoy and I ate the sirloin, a win-win sharing solution.  But usually I prefer to buy either NY Strips or Rib Eyes for us.

AVB-AMG 

3 hours ago, AlDente67 said:

If you are on Long Beach Island, the Engleside Hotel restaurant  in Beach Haven serves a fantastic Prime Rib year-round.

Oakies in surf City have ribeyes that are beyond good.  You just have to cook it yourself.  Lol. 

I think it was mentioned in Bourdain's book Kitchen Confidential that the chefs despise cooking any meat past medium, as an affront to the sensibility, but on the other hand welcome any customer to order such, as it gives them a way to sell the mistakes and unintentionally aging cuts they would otherwise have to throw in the garbage.

21 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

@Mrs. Peel:

I dare say that while I have never had lobster mac & cheese, it sounds so deliciously rich as to be a main course / entree dish all by its self.... While creamed spinach and baked potato with sour cream are my two favorite sides with steak, to each there own....

FYI - I recently purchased a big porterhouse steak.  Once cooking was completed I cut off the filet from the bone for my wife to enjoy and I ate the sirloin, a win-win sharing solution.  But usually I prefer to buy either NY Strips or Rib Eyes for us.

AVB-AMG 

Your instincts are good. I should have stated... a lobster mac & cheese should really only be ordered when it's a party of 4 or more, because, yeah, you really only want a little spoonful of something so decadent when you're already having a heavy protein like steak. It's too much for a party of 2... and although I suppose you could package it up and take it home, seafood leftovers I just don't go for - they're always a disappointment I find. Seafood should only be served once IMO.

As far as sharing the porterhouse, I know it's the 2 cuts... put perhaps it's the mere visual of it that's off-putting to me? This MASSIVE slab of beef sprawled across the serving platter, practically spilling off the sides... and then sawed into its separate monstrous hunks by the chosen caveman at the table.... seems downright gluttonous and unswivalized-like!! Straight out of Lord of the Flies. :icon_eek:

I mean, why not just order the filet mignon and the sirloin... separately? Cooked as each diner wishes? And on each one's very own plate? I guess this is just a wierd quirk. I come from a small family - maybe I didn't learn to share properly? Or could be a chick thing. Yeah, could be that! ;)

On 11/8/2019 at 3:57 PM, 10X said:

To order it that way........ yes.  But it depends whether they get it right or not.  At one place I have to order prime rib as medium.  If they try to do medium rare.... its almost rare.   I think its more to do with how they prepare prime rib ahead of time to some extent. On grilled steak orders, they always get it right.

“Well Done” should be punishable by several weeks of community service at the very least.

On 5/6/2018 at 4:16 AM, gfl216 said:

This thread was inspired by GramGun79 posting this pick in another thread and now I want a steak so let hear what your favorite spot is. Mine right now is Prime 13 in Point Pleasant with Authur's in North Brunswick coming in second. 

tomahawk-steak-900x600.jpg

Looks delicious! I love it.

29851990_LibertyHouseSteak.thumb.jpg.10475a9af582f6de23564d16dd20b7d3.jpg

Image source: https://places-to-eat-near-me.com/restaurant/liberty-house-jersey-city/

This is my favorite steak in New Jersey, made by the chefs at Liberty House (76 Audrey Zapp Dr.)

FWIW, a friend of mine, who's very, discerning, loves the sizzling ribeye at Klees Bar and Grill in Seaside.  They bring it out on a sizzling platter like Ruth Criss at half the price.

Filet Mignon on the specials menu is the same.  I know many people, who think they have money, insist on spending big bucks or they feel they aren't getting anything.

I have a friend that makes lobster mac and cheese. That's the only way I've had it.  You can't fully cook the lobster or it will be rubbery.

I had a choice between lobster or peanut butter and jelly in college.  I was good at what I did.  I gave away lobster. I knew a multitude of ways of doing lobster.

My favorite is taking a crusher claw from a 8-10  pounder and barbecue it.

19 hours ago, GRIZ said:

FWIW, a friend of mine, who's very, discerning, loves the sizzling ribeye at Klees Bar and Grill in Seaside.  They bring it out on a sizzling platter like Ruth Criss at half the price.

Filet Mignon on the specials menu is the same.  I know many people, who think they have money, insist on spending big bucks or they feel they aren't getting anything.

Ok..that place just made my list.

So, where do you take your vegetarian daughter for dinner while on a college tour...St. Elmo's Steakhouse.  Had a fantastic dry aged tomahawk rib eye, definitely one of the best steaks I ever had!