gfl216

Favorite Steak House

Thanks for Outting me.
Now that its public.. Yea Lugers Bacon is insanely good.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks for Outting me.
Now that its public.. Yea Lugers Bacon is insanely good.

Gettin Bacon Crunchwrap right now

• Like 1

You know.. We really need a NJGF visit to lugers.
Rent a party bus and go out to eat in the BK location.

Now that I would do. Their bacon on top of their filet with grilled onions and mushrooms.

GTFO... you dont put anything on a good steak. Besides Salt.

I don't even put salt normally, but I'm getting the bacon so I might as well add the mushroom and grilled onion. They serve it on the side.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gfl216 said:

Here's a pic from Prime 13. If you live near Point Pleasant or will be in visiting the area I think that you will like it. Try the smoked bacon as an appetizer and the roasted brussel sprouts as a side are delicious. The cannoli tacos for desert are amazing. If you're thinking about going during the beach season you'll probably need a reservation. Oh and it's byob so if you like a beer or glass of wine with dinner that helps keep the cost down.

64c66590cdc0073bd9f51f4a72bb91c0.jpg

I had gotten a Groupon to Prime 13 and that place was just fantastic.  Some of the best steak I've had in NJ.  I love any place that BYOB.  I can't stand spending $50 on a $15-$20 bottle of wine.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PD2K said:

The two steakhouses I regularly go to (at least once a month):

Peter Lugers in Brooklyn - Porterhouse

The Old Homestead in Manhattan - Ribeye

I haven't found a steakhouse in NJ that is in the same class, so I'm paying attention to this thread.

2 hours ago, remixer said:

You must aim lower...  You will never get a steak like Peter Lugers anywhere.

Ugh I figured as much.

So all the steak aficionados in here... got a question. 

First time at a steakhouse, what do you order and how do you order it? 

I went for a tomahawk at a local place not having had one before and under the assumption that it's just combining a porterhouse with the flavor of a bone on steak and a little extra fat.  

I got a thing that was incredibly fatty, full of silver, and the "rare" was barely blue by my take. 

So, keep it simple, go for boring cuts and medium rare until you know that can do that right at least? 

I went for a tomahawk at a local place not having had one before and under the assumption that it's just combining a porterhouse with the flavor of a bone on steak and a little extra fat.  
I got a thing that was incredibly fatty, full of silver, and the "rare" was barely blue by my take. 
So, keep it simple, go for boring cuts and medium rare until you know that can do that right at least? 

Stick to Filet Mignon rare or Prime Rib medium rare. Those Tomahawk Steaks look like a grizzled burnt mess in the pictures on this thread.

I like all my steaks black and blue the way they were intended to be eaten.  
You just turned my stomach. Please tell me you never order Filet Mignon that way. It must taste like eating leather.

Just now, capt14k said:

You just turned my stomach. Please tell me you never order Filet Mignon that way. It must taste like eating leather.

I don’t eat a lot of filet because of the lack of marble but when I do it’s black and blue.  Good ones cut like butter even when when prepped that way.  

• Like 1

I don’t eat a lot of filet because of the lack of marble but when I do it’s black and blue.  Good ones cut like butter even when when prepped that way.  

By leather I meant not only the consistency, but the taste. I guess everyone has their preferences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Depends on where i am.

At peter Lugar its the porterhouse.
Most other places Rib eye with or without the bone.

Always Med Rare with just salt. unless its PL and then i know they use butter as well.

A ribeye is my go-to steak. Cooked rare, the bloodier the better! 

Mrs Tex likes a filet, so I buy whole beef tenderloins and cut my own steaks according to our liking. A good quality filet will be like butter, even when cooked rare. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

A ribeye is my go-to steak. Cooked rare, the bloodier the better! 

Mrs Tex likes a filet, so I buy whole beef tenderloins and cut my own steaks according to our liking. A good quality filet will be like butter, even when cooked rare. 

We do the same. 

Best ribeye I've ever had was at a gun range. Yes, you read that right.  OK Corral Gun Club, Okeechobee, Florida.  Steak with a round of clays, priceless.  Seriously, they have a full time gourmet kitchen and banquet facilities on site as they do wedding receptions and other events.  Place must be experienced to appreciate.  The beef comes from the owner's cattle ranch next door.  Check out Farcebook for their daily lunch specials. Wow!

A long time ago, we raised our own Angus beef cows for our own comsumption. We got some DAMN fine steaks out of them, but is was hideously expensive to do so on a small scale. 

Nowdays, we just find a good butcher. 

On 5/9/2018 at 11:38 AM, AlexTheSane said:

MarkJoseph is fantastic.  Opened by former employees of Peter Luger.

http://markjosephsteakhouse.com/

Been there along with the other Luger clones (Wolfgangs, Ben & Jacks, etc). They're good but not as good as the OG.

If I can't go to Lugers and Old Homestead, my 3rd choice is Keens.

21 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Personally my go to cut is a dry aged ribeye.

4 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

A long time ago, we raised our own Angus beef cows for our own comsumption. We got some DAMN fine steaks out of them, but is was hideously expensive to do so on a small scale. 

Nowdays, we just find a good butcher. 

I've been buying fractional on crowdcow.com

• Like 1