gfl216

Favorite Steak House

I'm shocked no one has said Sammy's in Mendham yet.

I've tried a few of the more famous named steakhouses but my top pick still goes to Sammy's. The way you order, sip drinks in the speakeasy while waiting for your food to be made, and then eating in the dining room is a cool experience aside from the excellent food. Shrimp scampi is ridiculous, pasta with a pound of deep fried garlic scooped on top for apps and I usually get the 48oz dry aged ribeye grilled medium. The french fries on the side are DA BOMB. Yeah I said it.

IMG_20180406_185000690.jpg

IMG_20180406_192854084.jpg

On 5/7/2018 at 10:33 AM, fatty said:

If anyone is ever up in Toronto, I'd highly recommend The Keg which is right by the Toronto international airport.

They have the best prime rib I have ever had and a gigantic beer selection.  It's a bit pricey but so worth it...

When I was dating my second ex (she was living in Hamilton ON) we would usually have a goodbye dinner at the Keg (right at the fenceline of Pearson Int'l Airport) in Toronto.

When we were at her place we would go to the Keg in Upper Hamilton. I miss the Keg more than I miss her. OFW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RecessedFilter said:

I've tried a few of the more famous named steakhouses but my top pick still goes to Sammy's. The way you order, sip drinks in the speakeasy while waiting for your food to be made, and then eating in the dining room is a cool experience aside from the excellent food. Shrimp scampi is ridiculous, pasta with a pound of deep fried garlic scooped on top for apps and I usually get the 48oz dry aged ribeye grilled medium. The french fries on the side are DA BOMB. Yeah I said it.

That's because it is not very well known outside of the area, and hopefully will remain that way.  I must've driven by  several dozen times and wondered why so many cars were parked in their lot, and the adjacent lot before I realized that it was actually a restaurant.

21 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

When I was dating my second ex (she was living in Hamilton ON) we would usually have a goodbye dinner at the Keg (right at the fenceline of Pearson Int'l Airport) in Toronto.

When we were at her place we would go to the Keg in Upper Hamilton. I miss the Keg more than I miss her. OFW.

Yes!  The Keg is a great spot...  I really don't know how they do up their prime ribs but it's magical...

On 5/11/2018 at 10:35 AM, RecessedFilter said:

IMG_20180406_185000690.jpg

IMG_20180406_192854084.jpg

Been to Sammy's many times and still go when I'm craving a steak. LOVE LOVE the fries...cooked in beef fat. Plus it's very kid friendly. Zero decor. I put them in the same steak quality category as a River Palm, Rails, or Edwards.

You guys all sound like AVB. I like to keep it simple:

Ponderosa-Steakhouse-exterior-redesign.jpg

None left in NJ. Of course PA has both Ponderosa and Bonanza. What was the other horrible "steakhouse" buffet place? There was one on Rt 516 in Old Bridge? Or was that a Ponderosa?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Idk, I've eaten at Peter Luger's (both in Brooklyn and Great Neck), and I find it's way overrated. I prefer their burgers over their steaks. Their steaks are chewy and tough most of the time. 

I prefer Arthur's in Morris Plains over Luger's any day. 

But then agian, I also like Charlie Brown's queen cut prime rib, so what the hell do I know.

Did anyone mention Steve's Sizziling Steaks on Rte 17? The damned saltiest steaks you will ever have, but they are delicious. (Yep, 3 posts above, hahahaha)

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

None left in NJ. Of course PA has both Ponderosa and Bonanza. What was the other horrible "steakhouse" buffet place? There was one on Rt 516 in Old Bridge? Or was that a Ponderosa?

Golden Corral??

Those places are bloody AWFUL. No human should eat there. Nasty buffets, and the infamous ‘fountain of filth’ chocolate fountain. Gives me gastric distress just thinking about it.

Golden Corral?? Those places are bloody AWFUL. No human should eat there. Nasty buffets, and the infamous ‘fountain of filth’ chocolate fountain. Gives me gastric distress just thinking about it.

No this is 25 years ago I am talking about. Someone must remember it was on Rt 516 in Old Bridge. I think it was where either the Walgreens or KFC is now. Maybe it was a Ponderosa. If not maybe Sizzler or Ground Round. Or something else?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The older 96'er...

+1 for Peter Luger for being the best.  Also a fan of Quality Meats and Old Homestead.  Wolfgang's is also good.

I'm sad to say I haven't found a steakhouse in NJ as good as the NYC places.

Sammy's in Mendham - Steaks are okay, love the shrimp scampi, the kitschy way of ordering, getting drinks and family style eating is cool.

Steve's Sizzling Steaks - Steaks are okay.  Food, wine and alcohol are decently priced.  A great local joint to get a steak without the upscale stuffiness.

Root's and Rod's Steakhouse (Summit/Madison/Morristown) - Approaching NYC prices, but not as good.

Library II and River Palm Terrace - Pretty good.

Can't rule out the Brazilian Rodizio (i.e. Fernandes) in Ironbound or surrounding area for a beef fix (Picanha FTW)

As others said, Porterhouse for two at Luger's.  Ribeye, medium rare otherwise (marbling = flavor).

Creamed spinach, a potato of some sort, and mushrooms.  Also, a nice Red wine.  Done...

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Speaking of the ‘ole 96’er’....

I once ate the 72oz steak at the Big Texan in Amarillo. The steak was huge, but not a lot of flavor. My dad bet me $100 that I couldn’t...and I HAD to prove his ass wrong. 

I felt like crap for 2 days after, but I was $100 richer! 

I ate a sparks last night and I have an unintended hangover so no working today (just got up).  

I’ll probably schedule ivdoc.com or the hangoverclub.com.  Why suffer all day when relief is one iv drip away?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

Can't rule out the Brazilian Rodizio (i.e. Fernandes) in Ironbound or surrounding area for a beef fix (Picanha FTW)

Now you are talking!

Beef? If it walks or flies they serve it. I think I once had a bald eagle in there.

I ate a sparks last night and I have an unintended hangover so no working today (just got up).  
I’ll probably schedule ivdoc.com or the hangoverclub.com.  Why suffer all day when relief is one iv drip away?

They have people that bring IV to you? What happened to hair of the dog? A good strong Bloody Mary with all the spices and fixins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

I use this. Works for me:

https://www.costco.com/Liquid-I.V.-Hydration-Multiplier%2c-28-Individual-Serving-Stick-Packs-in-Resealable-Pouch.product.100301223.html

5 hours ago, capt14k said:

They have people that bring IV to you? What happened to hair of the dog? A good strong Bloody Mary with all the spices and fixins.

I love a little hair of the dog but the IV is amazing.  I ended going to the gym not long after.  I may go to the iMax to see the new avengers.  

2 hours ago, Purple Patrick said:

Friggin white people*, wash down some Advil with a Coors and be on with it

*I am white and it's a joke calm down

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Did someone get upset?

1 hour ago, fatty said:

Speaking of hangovers...

Ever since I quit smoking, my hangovers aren't nearly as painful as they used to be.  I don't get buzzed/drunk nearly as fast either.  

I’ve never been a smoker....just a shitty drinker.   

I’ve never been a smoker....just a shitty drinker.   
I quit drinking in New Orleans at Mardi Gras 2001. Hangover was so bad it lasted 2 days and I swore I would never drink again and haven't. Went to Mardi Gras 1999-2001 with a new years and jazzfest in there too. First Mardi Gras I saw the parades and the Garden District was 2001.

6 hours ago, capt14k said:

I quit drinking in New Orleans at Mardi Gras 2001. Hangover was so bad it lasted 2 days and I swore I would never drink again and haven't. Went to Mardi Gras 1999-2001 with a new years and jazzfest in there too. First Mardi Gras I saw the parades and the Garden District was 2001.

I don’t drink much because I can’t really tolerate it.   

On 5/15/2018 at 9:46 AM, Displaced Texan said:

Golden Corral??

Those places are bloody AWFUL. No human should eat there. Nasty buffets, and the infamous ‘fountain of filth’ chocolate fountain. Gives me gastric distress just thinking about it.

A buffet will bring about the start of the zombie apocalypse. 

12 hours ago, Purple Patrick said:

Friggin white people*, wash down some Advil with a Coors and be on with it

*I am white and it's a joke calm down

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm so tired of all this purple privilege.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, capt14k said:

Sundays at Klees in Seaside.  Best bloody Mary with bacon, shrimp, pepperoni, and assorted veggies.  Voted one of 10 best   I had two for dinner last Sunday.

Sundays at Klees in Seaside.  Best bloody Mary with bacon, shrimp, pepperoni, and assorted veggies.  Voted one of 10 best   I had two for dinner last Sunday.
During my drinking days I was somewhat of a Bloody Mary connoisseur and I concur regarding Klees. There was also a bartender at the Yorktown Inn in Manalapan that made one hell of a Bloody Mary.

Now the Bloody Mary talk and New Orleans has me thinking of Court of Two Sisters Jazz Brunch Buffet. Is there anywhere in NJ that has a great brunch buffet. Most buffets are terrible, but there has to be some out there. I will start a new thread.