Sign in to follow this  
danw77

What Should I Get Next?

I've owned firearms for several years now, but I've run into a problem I've never had before: I don't know what gun to buy next. I'm finally at the point where there's nothing I "need", but I'm getting the itch to buy something new.

I have multiple handguns in multiple calibers, so I'm leaning towards a long gun. I already have a few AR's and AK's as well as a couple shotguns, some 10/22s, and a couple bolt guns. I think the only categories I'm lacking at this point are a lever action and a pistol caliber carbine. I've also toyed around with the idea of getting an M1 from CMP.

Anything else I get at this point would be a "fun gun" and probably wouldn't see that much use. Does anyone have any thoughts on any "must haves" that I've overlooked? Not looking to spend a ton of money, but like I said - I'm looking for a new toy.

29 minutes ago, danw77 said:

a pistol caliber carbine.

These are fun guns, plus a big bonus, you might be able to share your existing handgun mags (depending what you currently own) so it saves having to inventory/buy more new mags (which is a personal pet peeve of mine). Plus, you can use existing ammo inventory too!

You can satisfy your itch for a pistol caliber carbine and lever action with a lever action 357.  Not expensive to feed and with the right load you can do just about anything you can do with a 30-30 with a 357 carbine.  Wide variety of power loadings available OTC.  It also is a perfect match for a 357 revolver and easier to shoot.

Lever action in anything from .22 up to those big boy calibers. My Henry H001 is always a favorite for everyone that shoots it. If you want somthing still friendly on the wallet but a bigger bang, maybe a .17hmr or .22mag

Not sure what shotguns you have, but maybe an O/U? SxS?

Have a favorite gun you can't own in NJ? Is there a clone in .22?

PS90? I have wanted one for years (though with a fake can for that stupid barrel)

SUB2K? want one for a trunk gun.

How bout some more unique milsurp rifles? I think a collection of a rifle of each of the major powers of WWII would be interesting.

Precision rifle covered? Or even a precision .22 rifle?

Have a pellet gun and a backyard it would be safe to shoot in?

My next purchases will likely be an O/U shotgun and a precision .22 such as an Anschutz.

• Like 1

Dare I mention it, but you could always try THE DARK SIDE & shoot some TRADITIONAL Black Powder!  It will teach you how to overcome obstacles of weather, how to be a better shooter, how to "aim small & miss small", and how to make EVERY shot count!  The knowledge you gain along your journey into DARKNESS will illuminate your path to righteousness:  Every other discipline you shoot will benefit from the knowledge that black powder shooting gives you :) 

• Image may contain: David Rosenthal, smiling, outdoor
  • Like 2

The Milsurps are the way to go. You get history and great battle tested rifles. If you don't have a Garand order a Service Grade from CMP for first. Then the sky is the limit. You want fun rifles as in Semi-Autos that fire a man size round in addition to the Garand FN-49, French MAS 49/56, SVT-40, Hakim the, G/K43, and Stgw57/ PE-57. The last 2 are expensive but the others can be found for $600-1,200.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get a Mosin!

Not too expensive still, you get a piece of history and an awesome rifle. No reason you can't hit a paper plate offhand at 100 yards with one. It's fun going to the range and people come up to you with the usual "can't hit anything with that lol" memes then you leave their jaws hanging open!

Also how about an AR in 9mm? Ammo is stupid cheap right now, they're fun to shoot and take same mags as your pistols maybe. And if you move out of NJ it can become a tax stamp or one of those "pistols" with an "arm brace" that everyone has now.