Howard

Florida Questions - gun and non-gun

I have closed on my house in the Tampa area, and my house in NJ is under contract. Am purging and tossing stuff out left and right. Selling anything I can get money for. I am planning on shipping most of my gun related stuff, will be selling a few things, probably. I will not be going on a buying binge anytime soon, I have other expenses to take care of first. Maybe a Christmas M1 carbine with 30 round mags. I already have a place to stop in NC for the final drive down, so what I don't ship will be OK. I am too far south to go on 81, which is a nice rid, but I I have shit to do and my stop in NC is far to the east. NJ is in the crapper and circling the bowl for a lot of reasons. Good luck if you stay, it will soon be District 12 to NY and Phila Liberals

18 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

I would go all he way to SC before stopping. Most likely Richburg. That said, if you want a palce to visit, Right on the SC State Line is the Cabela's they built in 2015. Nice Store!  Perhaps bigger than the Christina, Del. store. That would be near Fort Mill, SC.   

Also, as you cross into North Carolina from VA (going South), You'll be at the top of a mountain range, headling down the back of that range. It has some really gorgeous views from above. So much so, that they are a distraction from your driving in a place where you need absolute focus on getting down those hills. If possible, I'd have a driving partner take the pictures while you drive (or vice versa). Of course, depending on the time of day, it might be foggy and cause further driving issues.   Be careful!

Thanks, I have done the trip to Charlotte NC that way - very nice country side.  Don't know if my wife is up for driving all the way to SC or not.  Likely she will drive her car with one dog and I will have mine with the other two dogs.

Years ago I lived in Palm Coast, between St. Augustine and Daytona. My first gun purchase was at a pawn shop in Bunnell. I walked in, started looking at the display cases, and asked the guy behind the counter how long I’d have to wait to take possession once I bought a firearm. Before he could answer, an elderly man perched in a high croupier chair behind me asked: “You got a Florida driver’s license, boy?” When I answered yes, he said: “Then you’ve waited long enough!” LOL. I filled out an 8-question (IIRC) ATF form, grabbed my .32, and was out of there in two minutes.

If I had to do all over again, though, I’d have stopped the car just before the Florida state line and lived in south Georgia. Prettier scenery, less crowded, much better bbq.

Good luck to you, and congratulations for escaping the Horse-Toothed Jackass’ reign of terror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, bdhszy1 said:

Richburg is only an hour further than Cornelius, and if Howard is driving and his wife is following with three dogs I don't think he will be going for any records.

Well, the thing is, you have to consider "Rush hour" traffic vs. when you want to travel. Cornelius is north of the Charlotte Beltway, and if you're leaving in the morning on a weekday, you are going right into the heart of rush hour, and all that that entails.  Richburg is away from it. Even Fort Mill, SC is far enough away from it. You can leave right at 8am and not worry about getting stopped by the rush hour crawl. Furthermore, SC has lower fuel prices. You'd probably want to refuel before you start the next portion of the journey. I'd prefer to do that in Fort Mill, rather than anywhere near Charlotte. 

If, at least, you don't want to go all the way to Richburg, consider Fort Mill. Lower costs, better fuel prices, and the Cabela's is right on the State line!  :)