Greenday

Optics & Cleaning Kits

So currently, my wife and I have purchased a S&W M&P 15-22 along with a Baretta M9A1. Being the nerd I am, I read the manuals first and see that the guns should be cleaned prior to first use to get rid of extra factory oils and such which makes perfect sense. I've heard the 15-22 will get dirty fast. I could use some recommendations of decent cleaning kits. Guns need tender love and care too.

As far as optics go, my wife doesn't care about adding anything to her M9A1 (at least at the moment). I, on the other hand, would like to add onto my 15-22. When I've used the 15-22 before, I shoot at 25 yards with the iron sights and do decent. I'd like to shoot further and with Range 129 hopefully opening soon, I'm super excited for them to have a 100 yard indoor range. But at that point, I'd like to get a scope for it. Not trying to break the bank but I want something decent. Doesn't have to be top of the line but just want something that's good for its money.

All ways a good idea to clean a new firearm before shooting it. Wally World has some decent inexpensive scopes. Good starter cleaning kits also. I usually just run a bore snake through it a few times after a patch soaked in Hoppes No.9. or something like it all after a day at the range.  Don't get caught up in the specialty lube BS. You don't need oil that cost $180 a quart. Any good motor oil will do the job. Same with grease. (flame suit on) I go by the motto " if it turns oil it. If it slides grease it." And a little goes a long way. Some parts I just wipe down with an oiled rag. Other parts I use an eye dropper and just touch it to the area to be oiled. Too much oil is almost as bad as too little. (and traps the dirt) Use good ammo and the cleaning isn't too bad. I shoot only CCI Mini Mags after trying a bunch of other rounds. It is by far the most accurate,cleanest I've used. Good luck with the new toy and be safe.

BTW you maybe disappointed with the 22lr at 100yrds.

Most of my scopes /red dots are Vortex--Good prices, quality is good and lifetime warranty. But lots of manufacturers and lots of choices. Search this forum for reviews and recommendations

100 yards and cheap .22 ammo may get you 5+" groups even when you do your best.  For years, I made lots of noise, smoothed out the trigger components/bolt, and wasn't much of a threat to targets under 4" by shooting cheap .22 ammo at 100 yards through my XT22.  I mean, I still had fun, but some of those targets I used were seriously optimistic.

As for scopes - if you are looking for a "traditional" type of scope, Nikon makes a number of inexpensive scopes under $150 like a 3x32, 2-7x32, 3-9x(32? 40?), and 4-12x40 - some designed for rimfires, some designed for centerfire.  I own the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 (on a .223) and Prostaff 4-12x40 rimfire BDC (on a .22 bolt), and I have been happy with both, though I always want higher magnification.  Vortex makes some nice stuff, though I have extremely limited time behind their stuff.

Beware of cheap scopes offering huge zooms or larger than average lenses.  Companies know people buy online based on specs, and a 3-9x50 sounds way better than a 3-9x32, or a $90 6-24x40 must be way better than a $110 4-14x40.  What you end up with is a cheap piece of junk that is probably only "usable" at the lower magnifications and was a waste of money.  The picture through many cheap scopes is soft - not quite blurry but never quite right [especially at higher magnifications, where it highlights the weaknesses of the glass].  If possible, test the model out in store as much as possible.

Also, be aware there are knockoffs out there.  You didn't just find a $2000 Leupold Mark 4 ER/T 4.5-14x50 for $150.  I have a fake ACOG (FakeOG) 4x mounted on one of my .22s, and it cost about 1/10th (maybe less) than the real deal.

I've got CCI mini mags. Just buy a few hundred at a time for bulk pricing.

Right now, my favorite target paper has 5 targets spread out into their own bulleyes. I usually do 20 rounds per target and most of them are hitting on target at 25 yards with iron sight. I figure a scope can help me close up those groupings along with being able to do longer distances. Ideally I wanted to spend no more than $200 but I don't want something cheap and waste my money.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strikefire-2-red-dot-with-red-green-dot-cantilever-mount

I like the looks of this red dot. Price is decent but no magnification.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-spitfire-3x-prism-scope-with-ebr-556b-moa-reticle

About twice the price. 3X magnifcation

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/crossfire-II-2-7x32-rimfire-with-v-plex-moa-reticle

Cheaper scope, probably does exactly what I need without a red dot.

You've got plenty of good scope advice already.  IMO 75 yards is the best distance to zero a 22 lr for general use.  If you're shooting some type of target competition that's a different story.

Most 22s really don't need much maintenance. Generally I just punch the bore a few times and squirting some CLP on the moving parts. Old tshirts make great cleaning cloths. They also make good patches.  I can't remember last time I bought patches. Hoppes #9 is the best all around solvent.  I use the old CLP with Teflon as a lubricant (not a great solvent AFAIC).  G96 is old tech but works well as a CLP. The problem with petroleum based oils is if you store the gun for a period of time the oil gums up.  It will wind up looking like rust.

4 hours ago, Greenday said:

I've got CCI mini mags. Just buy a few hundred at a time for bulk pricing.

Right now, my favorite target paper has 5 targets spread out into their own bulleyes. I usually do 20 rounds per target and most of them are hitting on target at 25 yards with iron sight. I figure a scope can help me close up those groupings along with being able to do longer distances. Ideally I wanted to spend no more than $200 but I don't want something cheap and waste my money.

Be aware the parallax setting for many scopes is 50+yds - not all can focus at 25 yards.  Not sure about any of the options you mentioned (other than the 1x, where it shouldn't matter)