MartyZ

New slim muzzle brakes

Anyone see this new muzzle brake from VG6?

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/vg6-epsilon-556sl.html

First faxon now VG6, looks like many companies are now getting onto the slim muzzle brake band wagon. It's a brave new world for all us AR builders stuck in a "Pin & Weld" state.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

It's kinda hard to get excited about a muzzle break.  I use the BCM Mod 0 and it is fine.

It's not about getting excited about a MB, it's about the industry catching up to customer demands. I know these were specifically designed for 14.5" barrels to comply with NFA, but it also helps us out as well even if indirectly. So my plan for a future build was to get a 2 piece gas block, I will no longer have to worry about that and get a standard lopro gas block. And if I ever want to change handguards, that will no longer be an issue either.

I am actually now considering replacing all my MBs, when the prices for these go down a bit of course.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

It's not about getting excited about a MB, it's about the industry catching up to customer demands. I know these were specifically designed for 14.5" barrels to comply with NFA, but it also helps us out as well even if indirectly. 

That is key, making a 14.5 legal.

7 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

With those wings in the front of the brake , It may also be considered a flash hider.

I like the gamma 556. To bad they didn't make in the gamma line.

http://www.vg6precision.com/muzzle-devices/18-epsilon-556.html

according to the manufacturer, it is a muzzle brake. Isn't that what NJSP uses as reference?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shane45 said:

Id be interested to see how it performs. Im concerned that with a reduced chamber volume the effectiveness will suffer.

Smaller ID to keep wall thickness for a smaller OD? 

50 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

according to the manufacturer, it is a muzzle brake. Isn't that what NJSP uses as reference?

Correct 

23 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Ray, a muzzle device that you can slide a gas block over is nice in a state where everything has to be pinned and welded. Opens up a lot of options to upgrade or modify as new stuff becomes available.

That is always helpful!  I hate cutting off a perfectly good brake to swap out a gas black or convert to a free float.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, silverado427 said:

I'm not debating this but.  They have the same tip and one is considered a flash hider.

The one on the top  is the slim brake The chamber is different.  The one on the bottom  is a standard vg6 epsilon.  

apvg100025a-vg6-epsilon-556sl-1.jpg

epsilon-556.jpg

Comes down to what the manufacture claims...

If they claim its a muzzle brake then it is.... Sometimes manufactures need to be tight lipped and not try to fill descriptions to enhance the products appeal... it would he very helpful in ban states. Ie Dont advertise Flash suppression. :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vladtepes said:

http://www.vg6precision.com/muzzle-devices/88-epsilon-556sl.html

EPSILON 556SL

High Performance Muzzle Brake Flash Suppressing Type

NOTE: The EPSILON 556SL cannot be shipped to the State of California due to new legislation. This is considered a flash hider.

Thank You 

7 hours ago, vladtepes said:

http://www.vg6precision.com/muzzle-devices/88-epsilon-556sl.html

EPSILON 556SL

High Performance Muzzle Brake Flash Suppressing Type

NOTE: The EPSILON 556SL cannot be shipped to the State of California due to new legislation. This is considered a flash hider.

Looks like the manufacturer is confused and causing the confusion. In one place they say MB, in another place they say FH. The Lantac Dragon has the prongs and it is a MB.

1 hour ago, MartyZ said:

Looks like the manufacturer is confused and causing the confusion. In one place they say MB, in another place they say FH. The Lantac Dragon has the prongs and it is a MB.

Could be a FH by California's definition of the law.

13 hours ago, MartyZ said:

the link I posted is the actual manufacturer.. 

if its a FH by Cali standard.. 
if the manufacturer calls it a flash hider.. 

it is not something I would personally take the chance on.. but I am no longer in NJ so it makes no difference to me.. LOL 

13 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Do you honestly believe anyone will know the difference between ANY muzzle device?

I don't think so at all.. what I do know is I would prefer not to even be in the position to argue it.. 

13 hours ago, MartyZ said:

The Lantac Dragon has the prongs and it is a MB.

barely.. 

I like how it goes through 2 large side cut chambers BEFORE it would hit what causes it to be considered a flash hider. You know... cuz all the burning powder and gas wont exit those openings and continue to the hider. lol. I hate to say it, but a lot of manufacturers seem to like to use buzzwords to make their product seem like more than it is in hopes it tickles a broader group of potential buyers fancies. Everything seems to be a "flash hiding muzzle brake" or something of the like, even though its essentially just a FH or brake. That's fine for most states, but that screws us here in NJ, cuz all a prosecutor needs to do in court is point to a printed ad calling it a flash hider. Would it ever come to that? Probably not. But I'm not risking my job, rights, and literal freedom on probably. Just label it what it is designed to do more: be a muzzle brake or flash hider.

Went on a little rant there, sorry. lol and yes, I'm aware there are flash hiders that are cut to also aid in being a muzzle brake, this (imo) isn't one of them,

7 hours ago, vladtepes said:

I don't think so at all.. what I do know is I would prefer not to even be in the position to argue it.

You could find arguement with ANY muzzle device, so why appease them?

looks like the Faxon slim MB can't be mistaken for a FH, and you can buy one of ther 14.5" barrels with it already pinned and welded.

http://faxonfirearms.com/620-slim-3-port-muzzle-brake-steel-qpq-nitride/

http://faxonfirearms.com/14-5-pencil-w-slim-3-port-brake-5-56-4150-nitride/

2 hours ago, MartyZ said:

Here is another one, 3 chamber brake, no prongs. I am definitely liking the trend

https://www.opticsplanet.com/yankee-hill-machine-yhm-low-profile-muzzle-brake-5-56mm-for-1-2x28-threads.html

that needs to be a $19 brake, not a near $42 one.

I have to ask, how often do you need to change the gas block?  I thought it and the barrel pretty much wear out at the same time.

I know ARs are pretty much considered adult Legos, but do people REALLY swap around things like muzzle brakes and gas blocks and barrels many times?

I mean, stripped uppers and lowers don't cost that much these days, and if you're going to run multiple calibers on a single lower you'd probably keep 'em mated to a specific upper and tag it somehow so you don't try and drive a square peg (300BLK) into a round hole (.223/5.56).

Honestly, what am I missing?  Educate me, please.

10 hours ago, sota said:

I have to ask, how often do you need to change the gas block?  I thought it and the barrel pretty much wear out at the same time.

I know ARs are pretty much considered adult Legos, but do people REALLY swap around things like muzzle brakes and gas blocks and barrels many times?

I mean, stripped uppers and lowers don't cost that much these days, and if you're going to run multiple calibers on a single lower you'd probably keep 'em mated to a specific upper and tag it somehow so you don't try and drive a square peg (300BLK) into a round hole (.223/5.56).

Honestly, what am I missing?  Educate me, please.

Very simple example, right now I want to change my hanguard to a 17" strike rail on my 20" barrel, and I can't. My best option right now is to cut off my gas block and put on a 2 piece gas block, or the new yhm hinged gb. So that for me is extra work and extra money down the drain.