LAK

Another Monmouth County Shooter

New (again) to shooting. I used to shoot revolvers with my brother more than 30 years ago. Really dating myself here!  Now my husband and I are taking up the sport. I forgot how enjoyable it was. Once my FID is issued (8 wks and counting) I hope to be spending quite a bit of time on a range.  That is, after I buy a sweet pistol I have my eyes on!

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome. I’m in Neptune - the ID bureau has been pleasant, but . . . References have been in for a while and as of last week they’re waiting for “other documentation”.  Originally I was thinking about a Sig 320 but after shooting a friend’s steel Tanfoglio I fell in love with the weight. Long story short - either a CZ Shadow 2 or a Colt model 29 (if I can find either one!).  Wish me luck!

PS - always wanted to shoot skeet so I think a shotgun may be in my future!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Welcome to the forum. All right, I give up, what's a Colt Model 29?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Oops - did I say Colt?  I meant S&W. Gotta get that 1911 out of my head!

1 minute ago, LAK said:

Oops - did I say Colt?  I meant S&W. Gotta get that 1911 out of my head!

That's a bit ambitious for a new shooter, don't you think?

5 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Maybe, but a girl’s gotta have a dream.  I’ve enjoyed one friend’s .357 (6” barrel though) and her husband’s .44 (4” barrel). I do like a challenge. 

• Like 1

am i the only one who saw the title in the activity feed and thought someone got shot? and was wondering how i missed the first shooter to boot. yea not what i expected

anyway, welcome

.357 out of a 6" revolver is pretty swwet, went with a ruger gp100 on that one and can recomend them.

since you mentioned the Tanfoglio im gonna throw out that im a huge fan of the jericho/baby eagle, but your already thinking cz and i cant even think to sway you from that.

my advice to every new shooter is to try as many guns and calibers as you can to find your own personal pros cons and fit

as my personal shooting has progressed ive shifted from larger caliber pistols to smaller, and trust my 9mms more then my 45s. that being said i own no rifle smaller then .30

my wife shoots 1911s in .45, its what fits and works for her

and everyone needs atleast a pistol a rifle and a shotgun

5 minutes ago, SuRrEaLNJ said:

am i the only one who saw the title in the activity feed and thought someone got shot? and was wondering how i missed the first shooter to boot. yea not what i expected

anyway, welcome

.357 out of a 6" revolver is pretty swwet, went with a ruger gp100 on that one and can recomend them.

since you mentioned the Tanfoglio im gonna throw out that im a huge fan of the jericho/baby eagle, but your already thinking cz and i cant even think to sway you from that.

my advice to every new shooter is to try as many guns and calibers as you can to find your own personal pros cons and fit

as my personal shooting has progressed ive shifted from larger caliber pistols to smaller, and trust my 9mms more then my 45s. that being said i own no rifle smaller then .30

my wife shoots 1911s in .45, its what fits and works for her

and everyone needs atleast a pistol a rifle and a shotgun

Sorry for the scare but thanks for the advice!

21 minutes ago, LAK said:

Maybe, but a girl’s gotta have a dream.  I’ve enjoyed one friend’s .357 (6” barrel though) and her husband’s .44 (4” barrel). I do like a challenge. 

Get the whatever you want. Have fun. Be safe.

29 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

:facepalm:

• Like 2

Welcome to the forums.  CZ Shadow! The lady has class.

And she's not a new shooter.  She shot with her brother back in the day, her friends 357 & 44.  She's just knocking a little rust off.

You should check out the Shotgun Shootouts we have.  Clay shoots at NJ WMAs (Wild Life Management Areas). Lots of people will let you try out their shotguns.  Just keep an eye on the "Events & Meet Ups" thread.  Lots of fun!

You should look to Monmouth Arms or JT Custom Guns once you are ready to buy.  Both very good people to deal with.

Welcome back to the shooting / guns community! Be safe, have a fun time (it's really hard NOT to) and bring some friends!

• Like 1

random thought on the shotgun thing, and a couple of the do what suits you coments from this thread and another today

im gonna make someone cringe with this one:

i shoot trap with a 18" mossberg 500 set up for home defense, and prefer it and turn better scores with then my jc higgens model 20.

8 minutes ago, AlexTheSane said:

@LAK Get to know this guy.  Pretty soon all of your paychecks will be going to him. 

lol

16 hours ago, LAK said:

Originally I was thinking about a Sig 320 but after shooting a friend’s steel Tanfoglio I fell in love with the weight.

I happen to have CZ Sp01's in stock... in case :)

6 minutes ago, remixer said:

lol

I happen to have CZ Sp01's in stock... in case :)

Sounds like I’m going to have a new best friend. Now where’s that darned FID?!?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LAK said:

Sounds like I’m going to have a new best friend. Now where’s that darned FID?!?

What town you from?  Just curious as maybe i can let you know what people are saying permit time are...

and you will need P2P along with the FID :)

Just now, remixer said:

What town you from?  Just curious as maybe i can let you know what people are saying permit time are...

and you will need P2P along with the FID :)

In Neptune - 8 weeks so far. I’ve requested three permits. Once they’re issued I figure to be busy for those 90 days. I’ll definitely come see you when they’re in hand.  

Just now, LAK said:

In Neptune - 8 weeks so far. I’ve requested three permits. Once they’re issued I figure to be busy for those 90 days. I’ll definitely come see you when they’re in hand.  

Dont rush... its easy to get 3 pistols in that period... First pistol is Day 1... Then you have just about 90 days to get the other 2 :)

3 minutes ago, remixer said:

Dont rush... its easy to get 3 pistols in that period... First pistol is Day 1... Then you have just about 90 days to get the other 2 :)

Great advice - thanks!

• Like 1