SJG

NJ Gun CZAR Appointed

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy announced Monday that William Castner Jr., an insurance industry executive, former governor’s chief counsel and onetime head of Gibbons’ lobbying group, will be the state’s new gun-control czar.

His title will be senior adviser to the governor on firearms.

Castner is the senior vice president of corporate and regulatory affairs at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield, the state’s largest health insurer. Before that, he was the chairman of Gibbons government affairs practice.

At present, Murphy and gun-control advocates in the Legislature are in the midst of attempting to marshal through legislation that would sharply restrict access to firearms, especially semi-automatic weapons and large-capacity magazines. The administration has been pushing stricter gun-control measures in the wake of the Feb. 14 mass shooting at the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. The alleged killer, a teenager named Nikolas Cruz, was armed with a semi-automatic assault rifle.

Castner, Murphy said, will lead the administration’s effort to see that those measures pass.

Among legislative measures being pursued are bills that would regulate private gun sales; restrictions on how many firearms a person may purchase in a year; a limitation on the capacity of ammunition magazines; further restrictions on the ability to carry handguns; and further limitations on the ability for persons who have made threats about themselves or against others to obtain firearms.

“These are commonsense gun-control laws,” Murphy said during a news conference in announcing Castner’s appointment. “New Jersey will stand up the the gun lobby … in this senseless epidemic.”

“We will recognize this epidemic as it is, in strict contrast to what is going on in Washington,” Castner said.

Following the Florida school shooting, federal lawmakers discussed imposing some minor forms of gun control, but have thus far failed to take any action.

“New Jersey can pursue actions against bad actors,” Castner said.

One move New Jersey may consider, Castner said, is having the state’s investment funds divest themselves of investments in firearms manufacturers.

Castner began his career with the nonpartisan Office of Legislative Services, an arm of the state Legislature. In 2002, he was named general counsel to the New Jersey Assembly. He was tapped by Gov. Jon Corzine in 2009 to become his chief counsel. In 2010, he was appointed by Assembly Speaker Joseph Roberts to the State Commission of Investigation. He served there for a year before being named chief counsel to the Democratic Apportionment Commission, and in 2012, he was named chief counsel to the New Jersey Redistricting Commission. He is a graduate of what is now Rowan University and Rutgers University Law School-Camden.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mustang69 said:

I believe he's who we have to thank for OGAM.  He's a political hack that went into a private position at a politically connected firm and, like any other cancer, he's back.

Correct. Under Corzine. Murphy is racing to the bottom. 

52 minutes ago, SJG said:

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy announced Monday that William Castner Jr., an insurance industry executive, former governor’s chief counsel and onetime head of Gibbons’ lobbying group, will be the state’s new gun-control czar.

His title will be senior adviser to the governor on firearms.

Castner is the senior vice president of corporate and regulatory affairs at Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield, the state’s largest health insurer. Before that, he was the chairman of Gibbons government affairs practice.

At present, Murphy and gun-control advocates in the Legislature are in the midst of attempting to marshal through legislation that would sharply restrict access to firearms, especially semi-automatic weapons and large-capacity magazines. The administration has been pushing stricter gun-control measures in the wake of the Feb. 14 mass shooting at the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. The alleged killer, a teenager named Nikolas Cruz, was armed with a semi-automatic assault rifle.

Castner, Murphy said, will lead the administration’s effort to see that those measures pass.

Among legislative measures being pursued are bills that would regulate private gun sales; restrictions on how many firearms a person may purchase in a year; a limitation on the capacity of ammunition magazines; further restrictions on the ability to carry handguns; and further limitations on the ability for persons who have made threats about themselves or against others to obtain firearms.

“These are commonsense gun-control laws,” Murphy said during a news conference in announcing Castner’s appointment. “New Jersey will stand up the the gun lobby … in this senseless epidemic.”

“We will recognize this epidemic as it is, in strict contrast to what is going on in Washington,” Castner said.

Following the Florida school shooting, federal lawmakers discussed imposing some minor forms of gun control, but have thus far failed to take any action.

“New Jersey can pursue actions against bad actors,” Castner said.

One move New Jersey may consider, Castner said, is having the state’s investment funds divest themselves of investments in firearms manufacturers.

Castner began his career with the nonpartisan Office of Legislative Services, an arm of the state Legislature. In 2002, he was named general counsel to the New Jersey Assembly. He was tapped by Gov. Jon Corzine in 2009 to become his chief counsel. In 2010, he was appointed by Assembly Speaker Joseph Roberts to the State Commission of Investigation. He served there for a year before being named chief counsel to the Democratic Apportionment Commission, and in 2012, he was named chief counsel to the New Jersey Redistricting Commission. He is a graduate of what is now Rowan University and Rutgers University Law School-Camden.

You kinda smert huh?

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

You kinda smert huh?

Nope. He just follows the wind from one politically connected position to another. 

I wonder if this is because they know their bills are on shaky legal ground so they want to dedicate a guy to counter all the forthcoming lawsuits. 

Just now, voyager9 said:

I wonder if this is because they know their bills are on shaky legal ground so they want to dedicate a guy to counter all the forthcoming lawsuits. 

NJ already has an AWB in place.  The problem they have is the neutered rifles built on the AR lower receiver, according to their own laws, do not fit into the category of assault weapons.  They are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

They want to redefine what an assault weapon is, again.  The only remaining "evil" feature is the pistol grip, which they really cannot say is a military feature, since rifles have had pistol grips for at least a hundred years and have been in common use.

Yes, he is a political hack. As I see it his position is really to lobby lawmakers into passing exactly what Murphy wants regarding firearms.

The State is not stuck between a rock and a hard place. NJ is destine go the way of NY, MD etc to an AW law that will product neutered AR's. Both NY and MD have gotten away with it in the Second and Fourth Circuits. 

As long as there is a Dem Gov and the Dems control the legislature there is little hope unless the U.S. Supreme Court steps in which is also unlikely unless there is a change in the composition of the Court.

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

NJ already has an AWB in place.  The problem they have is the neutered rifles built on the AR lower receiver, according to their own laws, do not fit into the category of assault weapons.  They are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

They want to redefine what an assault weapon is, again.  The only remaining "evil" feature is the pistol grip, which they really cannot say is a military feature, since rifles have had pistol grips for at least a hundred years and have been in common use.

NY unSAFE act runs counter to your argument and has been upheld in court.

I don't agree with it just stating the fact.

Just now, SJG said:

The State is not stuck between a rock and a hard place. NJ is destine go the way of NY, MD etc to an AW law that will product neutered AR's. Both NY and MD have gotten away with it in the Second and Fourth Circuits. 

I would agree with you if it were not for this.  NJ never did away with an AWB, we always had one.  So, rifles built on an AR lower are already featureless, except for the pistol grip. Under the definition of NJ law, a rifle built on an AR lower with no other feature, except the pistol grip is not an assault weapon. 

Now they want to narrow that definition down to all the listed features, including a pistol grip, which almost all rifles in common use have.  only very old straight stocked lever actions and rolling blocks don't have pistol grips.  Even a Ruger mini-14 and a Springfield 1903A3 has a pistol grip.

The end game dems are going for is an all out ban on semi auto rifles.  That won't win if it gets to SCOTUS.

Hopefully RBG will croak soon and we can get another constitutional juror on the bench.

14 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

That didn't stop CA and NY from having bans on them for 5-10+ years now. Don't get me wrong I agree with every word you said. Banning ergonomic features is beyond stupid. It's ridiculous that even now we can't have an adjustable stock on most rifles. Now removing the grip on something like an AR type is downright dangerous. But it won't stop them. They're going to pretty much do what they want and I'm honestly tired of false hope in Boogeyman lawsuits that should have happened twenty years ago.

Where are the lawsuits challenging 15 rounds? Challenging the current laws? How is it not considered intimidation and denial of rights that you have to get a letter sent to your job for an FID? Where's the lawsuits on that? This is why I don't see how were supposed to sit here and think ten rounds and no features will be defeated when 15 and two came and went with but a whimper.

Sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mossburger said:

Where are the lawsuits challenging 15 rounds? Challenging the current laws? How is it not considered intimidation and denial of rights that you have to get a letter sent to your job for an FID? Where's the lawsuits on that? This is why I don't see how were supposed to sit here and think ten rounds and no features will be defeated when 15 and two came and went with but a whimper.

Sorry.

The people working for 2A organizations are more interested in booking outings and getting reimbursed for hotel rooms and rental cars than they are with their true mission. 

It's the same with my labor union, no fight and their main concern is just keeping their head above water so they can get reelected to another 2 year term.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Bowling Ball said:

The people working for 2A organizations are more interested in booking outings and getting reimbursed for hotel rooms and rental cars than they are with their true mission. 

It's the same with my labor union, no fight and their main concern is just keeping their head above water so they can get reelected to another 2 year term.

Yep. It's almost as if there's an entire group of people who benefit from all this. If we want to ever get anywhere we need a truly grassroots org, but it's probably too late for even that. Too bad there was no social media in 1994.

The NY SAFE Act is now 5 years old.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mustang69 said:

I believe he's who we have to thank for OGAM.  He's a political hack that went into a private position at a politically connected firm and, like any other cancer, he's back.

He is in fact the OGAM architect.

"restrictions on how many firearms a person may purchase in a year".  Whoa......  takes OGAM up a few notches. 

How about Murphy goes after the scum bag criminals instead of us?  Always the low hanging fruit against us. 

S. 

• Like 1

We cant file suits til the laws are passed.

I ask again has anyone heard back from ANJRPC regarding denial of CCW? Excuse before was they were busy with rally. I have received no response to 2 emails to the case specific email they posted for us to contact.

My offer to solicit large donors has also gone unanswered by smaller organizations.

GOA and SAF I received no response from. Not even a form letter.

The way I see it nothing will get done unless us firearms owners are in charge, and not the dealers and NJ attorneys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, capt14k said:

The way I see it nothing will get done unless us firearms owners are in charge, and not the dealers and NJ attorneys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I generally get chewed out for saying it, but the dealers financially benefit from gun control.

Can't charge hundreds of dollars to tack weld muzzle brakes and epoxy stocks if there's no AWB. Seriously that's another $100-300+ dollars extra for half hour of work, on top of every black rifle sale. $$$$

Can't charge $125 transfer fees or huge markups if you actually have competition. Competition that is kept away by the massive regulatory hurdles.

They're probably excited for an upcoming online ammo sales ban. No more bulk prices, back to $1/round WWB and American Eagle for the gun shops...imagine how many businesses wish they could get the government to ban Amazon Prime...

• Like 4

If that's what you are being charged for those tasks, I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn I'd like to show you.
The $150 is about right for compliance work on one of those great deal black rifles I see. Need to purchase muzzle brake, have it pinned and welded. Have mag blocked. If it came with multiple mags multiple by number of mags and add to the $150. Then have stock pinned.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, mossburger said:

They're probably excited for an upcoming online ammo sales ban. No more bulk prices, back to $1/round

41 minutes ago, T Bill said:

Knowing Murphy's intent, if you have not been looking out for your own !@*&$^!, then shame on you!

If an ammo "ban" shows up then Plan B,

Plan B should have already been put into place. You should have already ordered and have in inventory PLENTY of ammo in anticipation.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Plan B should have already been put into place. You should have already ordered and have in inventory PLENTY of ammo in anticipation.

That's plan A, not B.

11 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

+++

Already anticipated here since three years ago when 22lr was scarce.  My own  Plan A has been completed.   At least for now......  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

If that's what you are being charged for those tasks, I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn I'd like to show you.

Whether the charges are 125.00 or 2.00 are not relevant.  The FFLs will profit.  Currently $50.00 transfers may not be common but not unheard of either.  NICS fees $13.00 to $20.00 depending on where.  If ammo internet sales are banned then grab your ankles and kiss your *ss goodbye.  Prices will boom without that competition.  Face to face sales gone?  Well watch this...fees, fees and fees.  Oh and sales tax for the Gov.  They will profit.  And sometimes they should.  Sometimes we're all guilty of internet sales they should be getting.  But far from always.  They will profit. 

1 minute ago, fatty said:

if internet ammo sales are banned and things get rough... we should all go in on a pallet if it's feasible from a neighboring state :)

Better yet, become familiar with "red, green, or blue" in the gun world.  That is where the smart planners continue to quietly tuck away.

10 minutes ago, T Bill said:

Remember you plan is like everything else, one is none, two is one, and three is better.

This, and your Plan A/B/C should also encompass firearms, magazines, and even spare parts where appropriate.  Depends how strategically you want to plan.  E.g. In 1974 new spare magazines for my then new Mossberg 144 rifle were $2.50, now all I see are beat up used ones on Ebay for $50.00.   Lesson learned...

4 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Already anticipated here since three years ago when 22lr was scarce.  My own  Plan A has been completed.

Exactly.... Anyone who lived through the shortages a few years ago should have their Plan A already established.

Plan B is having already established the response to ending mail order sales.

Plan C.... I'll let you decide what YOUR Plan C is... I have mine...

4 hours ago, T Bill said:

Remember you plan is like everything else, one is none, two is one, and three is better.

Now there's a guy who lives by my motto... He must be a good Boy Scout. :)

4 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:

This, and your Plan A/B/C should also encompass firearms, magazines, and even spare parts where appropriate.  Depends how strategically you want to plan.

Here's another guy who's paying attention. We already see some suppliers who stopped shipping to NJ with parts. If you don't have all your bases covered NOW, you're already behind the Eight Ball.