dearelliot

Advice for Senior

I recently got my NJ handgun permit for 2 weapons.and have a few questions. I am 84, and have owned a few guns most of my life, but its been many years since I did anything but  occasionally oil one and put it back in the drawer. The last time I shopped or fired was early 1970s and back then I bought a Walther PPK380.  I'm older now and have trouble with hand strength so racking the rec on the Walther is  too difficult. I'm shopping for a small hand gun that I can easily  handle,  really just for home protection. Id like an automatic maybe 9mm or 380, and a revolver probably 38cal but I'm not sure.. I prefer smaller weapons as small as possible, but in the case of the Auto Id like something not to difficult to rack, I have had a few  suggestions, one was the S&W EZ ..and a couple of others but finding a shop close to me  that has a large selection seems difficult .

I live in Colts Neck and Id like any suggestions on a shop, the closer the better,  that would have a good selection of the kinds of guns I'm looking for so I can handle them and feel the difference

BTW Is it possible to use my NJ permit out of state or to purchase a hand gun on line?? and how does that work??

For 9mm semis with light recoil slides, check out a Walther CCP and Remington R51.

You may only acquire handguns within NJ. Online purchases must be sent to a NJ Dealer to transfer to you.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dearelliot said:

I recently got my NJ handgun permit for 2 weapons.and have a few questions. I am 84, and have owned a few guns most of my life, but its been many years since I did anything but  occasionally oil one and put it back in the drawer. The last time I shopped or fired was early 1970s and back then I bought a Walther PPK380.  I'm older now and have trouble with hand strength so racking the rec on the Walther is  too difficult. I'm shopping for a small hand gun that I can easily  handle,  really just for home protection. Id like an automatic maybe 9mm or 380, and a revolver probably 38cal but I'm not sure.. I prefer smaller weapons as small as possible, but in the case of the Auto Id like something not to difficult to rack, I have had a few  suggestions, one was the S&W EZ ..and a couple of others but finding a shop close to me  that has a large selection seems difficult .

I live in Colts Neck and Id like any suggestions on a shop, the closer the better,  that would have a good selection of the kinds of guns I'm looking for so I can handle them and feel the difference

BTW Is it possible to use my NJ permit out of state or to purchase a hand gun on line?? and how does that work??

Yes. You order it and pay for it. Then you must have it shipped to a NJ dealer that will run a background check with ATF form 4473 and will execute one of your permits before you take possession.

With your difficulty racking the slide on semi automatics, I would recommend a revolver. I would think you would have a hard time racking the slide of any semi. 

27 minutes ago, dearelliot said:

@dearelliot

I'm Steve from Monmouth Arms in Englishtown located about 20 minutes from you. You are more then welcome to try the slides on a few 9mm pistols.. I'm sure we can get you something that would be comfortable for you to rack. 

We don't have a large selection but i'm pretty sure we have something for ya. Sometimes its not about strength and more about being able to grip the slide. Ie rear groves etc etc

Its a very common issue.

• Like 2

Hi, @dearelliot! I don't know if you've explored this particular angle yet, but there are a number of gadgets designed to make racking a semi-auto a bit easier. We happen to have an older thread on that topic (link below). And I wouldn't be surprised if more options have come out since that thread either! Not all of those gadgets would be appropriate for home defense, but some might.

And, as WP22 suggested, you could also just make the shift to "revolvers only"! That strikes me as perhaps the easiest solution...? Happy shopping! Good luck. Your note is a great reminder that guns are a lifelong interest for many!

Re suggestions, yes I agree a revolver seems like a good idea, and I will  buy one. probably short, or snub 38...I imagine there are quite a few available used or new.  Seems like a nice weapon for  the bedroom night table.

But I also wanted a automatic, and I suppose truth be told I really don't need more than one gun, like I tell my wife about her and  shoes not that it helps, , but I still do want an automatic and  I want one that slides easier than most.

Not sure why everyone pushes seniors and others with poor hand strength toward revolvers - especially small revolvers. Factory double-action trigger pull is in the neighborhood of 10 - 12 pounds - not easy for someone with poor hand strength. Shooting it single-action is inviting an A/D - especially in stressful situations.

If you can manage the double action revolver trigger,  get a gun with a 4" barrel - preferably a K or L frame S&W in .38 / .357 and stoke it with .38 Special ammo.

In either case (revolver or semi-auto) look for something with some mass - in a SD situation it may take more than one shot which means that you will have to deal with the recoil impulse - mass is your friend in this instance.

Go to a range where they rent firearms and try any that you think may fit the bill. Good luck in your quest.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 2

Just now, Pizza Bob said:

Not sure why everyone pushes seniors and others with poor hand strength toward revolvers - especially small revolvers. Factory double-action trigger pull is in the neighborhood of 10 - 12 pounds - not easy for someone with poor hand strength. Shooting it single-action is inviting an A/D - especially in stressful situations.

If you can manage the double action revolver trigger,  get a gun with a 4" barrel - preferably a K or L frame S&W in .38 / .357 and stoke it with .38 Special ammo.

In either case (revolver or semi-auto) look for something with some mass - in a SD situation it may take more than one shot which means that you will have to deal with the recoil impulse - mass is your friend in this instance.

Go to a range where they rent firearms and try any that you think may fit the bill. Good luck in your quest.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Also take note.. Range rentals are going to be highly used.. if the gun seems as if you just just make it then the new version will be stronger.

1 minute ago, Pizza Bob said:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You know WAAAAAY more than me (and most) about guns, so I bow to your knowledge, O' Pizza Bob!  

And yeah, I guess going to the range and checking things out would always be best for any situation. Everyone's going to be different - weak in some areas, strong in others. 

One thing i've noticed is that different manufactures and different locking mechanisms result in different tension in the slide. For example, my USP 45 is extremely easy to rack where my XDM45 and VP9 are a bit more tight. If I were you I would take Steve up on his offer, visit his store, or any other store for that matter, and try different semi autos to see what fits you best.

As far as revolvers go, I would agree with Bob. I took my Father out one time, 65 and major arthritis, to the point where he has lost half his range of motion in his hands. He had a hard time shooting my 2.5" 686 loaded with 38spc. But had absolutely no issues with my USP 45, even though it had greater kick it was much easier to manipulate.

RE: Revolvers - I should add that it is not only the weight of the trigger pull, but also the length. The sights must be held in alignment through the entire, long, trigger pull if you hope to hit anything.

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Hi, @dearelliot! I don't know if you've explored this particular angle yet, but there are a number of gadgets designed to make racking a semi-auto a bit easier. We happen to have an older thread on that topic (link below). And I wouldn't be surprised if more options have come out since that thread either! Not all of those gadgets would be appropriate for home defense, but some might.

And, as WP22 suggested, you could also just make the shift to "revolvers only"! That strikes me as perhaps the easiest solution...? Happy shopping! Good luck. Your note is a great reminder that guns are a lifelong interest for many!

Peel, thanks for locating my post.

OP: I have since also purchased the P3Racker and recommend it.  When using it you can keep the muzzle pointed down range.  That is not necessarily the case with the HandiRacker.  Btw my hand arthritis issue is in the area where my thumb joins the hand.  It is almost impossible for me to load my Glock 9mm mags by hand using my thumbs.   For that I use an UpLula mag loader which works great. In addition to 9mm Glocks, I recently also purchased a Ruger GP 100 38/357(5” barrel from Davidsons). It’s weight, coupled with shooting 38 spec in single action mode, has been more comfortable for me than my Glocks. Less felt recoil and I can also pull the hammer back with my thumb without an issue. 

7 hours ago, dearelliot said:

You've already gotten a ton of great advice, so I'll just mention this:

You're 84 years old, so any auto you buy, especially new, will OUTLIVE YOU.  That being said, do you really care if the frame gets a little "chewed-up" by using a recoil spring that's LIGHTER THAN THE STOCK SPRING THAT COMES WITH THE GUN?  Calling Brownell's Gunsmith Dept. & asking about lighter than stock recoil springs & then dropping-in a "Shock-Buff" at the end of the guide rod where it meets the frame is also another option for some models such as a 1911.  A metal 1911 Commander size (shorter barrel but same mag length & grip length) with a lighter recoil spring will solve the recoil & racking problem simultaneously. 

You're not going to fire the gun every day, so what do you care if the slide gets a little worn a little quicker?  Make the gun that fits you best work the best for the application at hand :)   Stay safe & have FUN!

Rosey

7 minutes ago, dearelliot said:

Truth be told, hell a cat would do...I'm 84 and  nobody has ever come near my house, so I think my reasons are really I just want to buy another gun. I wonder if anyone else is like that.

Perfectly good reason.  I think most of the people on this forum are like that.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.  Just like a spare tire, fire extinguisher, life jacket, or parachute.

• Like 1

Just some of my observations on comments made here:

1.  Any device that assists in racking the slide and not fastened to the gun is fine for the range but not such a good idea on a SD gun.  Many people, more so those who don't handle guns on a daily basis, keep their SD SA in condition 3 with an empty chamber.  If that's the case you can wind up with a pistol with an empty chamber in a SD situation.  Or run back to find your slide racking device.

2.  Another downside to relying on a slide racking device is if you have a malfunction.  You'll find yourself with a jammed gun and no way to clear it.

3.  I'm still of the opinion that a DA revolver is the best house gun for someone who doesn't handle guns regularly.  Simple manual of arms.  Yes revolvers have malfunctions.   The most common is a bad primer and in a SD situation you just pull the trigger again.  No determining what the malfunction is, no having to pull the magazine to clear.  I guarantee you just about anyone can pull a trigger again faster that anyone can slap, rack, and pull a trigger again. Fewer steps too.

There's the issue of the "long DA pull".  I can't understand why a he man with with a plate carrier, the "proper" range attire, who regularly attends "tactical" firearms has an issue with a 10-12 lb trigger.  Millions of old guys like me... and even women...have mastered a DA revolver.  But one needs to work at it and too many are more concerned with instant success.

There is of course people with medical disabilities and that is a different story.  The wrong way to go about it is action jobs and lighter springs.  A better way to approach is buy a gun with a wider trigger or have a trigger shoe properly installed.  That's properly installed. That means it isnt falling off and doesn't interfere with holstering.  The wider trigger spreads out the effort giving you a lighter pull.  Not by Mr Kitchen Table revolversmith who'll do a 4 lb "action job" for you...that may or may not give you a gun that shoots sometimes.

Small frame revolvers are out for this purpose.  Although I can shoot one well I'd always prefer a 4" k frame or larger (you still can conceal that).  38 special will do fine but a 357 will give you a little more weight.

JMO

1 hour ago, silverado427 said:

Get a dog.

1 hour ago, 1563621 said:

Hell, get a dog

I'll third that suggestion, get a dog.... a lot safer than forgetting and leaving a handgun laying around when the grandchildren visit.

Plus, added benefit, when wifey gets pissed at you, at least you'll have something to talk to. :)

• Like 1

Re racking, I can  do it,  it isn't that,  its the fact I find it difficult and would rather get a gun  that I can handle easier even If I dont spend time at a range and besides that I want a new Automatic.  I had a few revolvers and gave them away recently to my nephew, and regretted doing it ever since, but he wanted them, so I did it and I guess I still want one...  I live in a pretty rural area and when I moved here 50 years ago  my wife and I used to just go out back and shoot, and nobody cared, but those days are gone now and have been for a while. Yeah Id love to get another dog, a few things  make that difficult,  one we do leave home  often enough and would have to put him in a kennel, also I'm older and rather not die on the  dog and have him homeless, and besides all that, I am tired at crying every time I have to bury one. Hell Ive had probably twenty of em over the years. 

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

Shockwave?

i can’t believe I jus said that... but I could see it as viable 

Don't think so @Zeke.  If he has trouble racking a slide he would probably have trouble  hanging on to a Shockwave.

A GP100 in 38/357 is the right size and weight to mitigate recoil.  Almost no recoil with 38s.  Another possibility is a GP100 in 327 mag.  The 327 mag in a 4" is a good defense round, it's a seven shooter, and if the 327 is too much recoil there are multiple calibers it shoots.  Problem with the 327 is ammo is expensive compared to other calibers.