dearelliot

Advice for Senior

In 9mm the semi auto with easiest slide to rack that I've ever felt is the Walther CCP. Not to say there isn't one out there but I haven't personally held one. Walther credits it to the blow back design. From what I've read the down side to the CCP is that it's a little difficult to take apart and a take down tool is needed.

As far as a revolver may I suggest something in .22 WMR, much less recoil to deal with than a 38 spl. and with the right ammo should be adequate for home defense.

Since you want another "home defense" gun, just to have, I suggest you get one that you may enjoy shooting from time to time.  On another forum where revolvers are very popular, I've read tons of threads by older folks that enjoy carrying 22 mag revos.

I know you wont be carrying but the philosophy is the same.  You don't need a desert eagle to interrupt a home invasion or a mugger.  The odds of encountering a 300 pound home invader wearing eight layers of clothing all hopped up on PCP is slim to none.  Most crimes are perpetrated by bitch ass punks that run just at the sight of the would be victim being armed.

You would be better off with something you can control.  A 22 mag is very controllable and would not be a drag to put a hundred rounds through at the range.  In fact, it could actually be....fun.

As far as stopping power, well, it's not going to blow a fist sized hole in a home invader, but the rightt bullet will do the job, and there will be less brains to clean off the walls.  With a 2200fps muzzle velocity, it should be just as effective inside 15 yards as a .223 bullet is at 250 yards, which is extremely lethal.

If you are not interested in a revolver, there are several excellent options available in 22 mag semi auto pistolas.

Mods please do him a favor and delete his post. This will probably be the only time I condone your censorship.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP no disrespect meant by my previous post. It's just probably not a good idea to post on an open forum.

I also agree do not get a snub nose or anything less than a 4" barrel revolver.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Since you want another "home defense" gun, just to have, I suggest you get one that you may enjoy shooting from time to time.  On another forum where revolvers are very popular, I've read tons of threads by older folks that enjoy carrying 22 mag revos.

I know you wont be carrying but the philosophy is the same.  You don't need a desert eagle to interrupt a home invasion or a mugger.  The odds of encountering a 300 pound home invader wearing eight layers of clothing all hopped up on PCP is slim to none.  Most crimes are perpetrated by bitch ass punks that run just at the sight of the would be victim being armed.

You would be better off with something you can control.  A 22 mag is very controllable and would not be a drag to put a hundred rounds through at the range.  In fact, it could actually be....fun.

As far as stopping power, well, it's not going to blow a fist sized hole in a home invader, but the rightt bullet will do the job, and there will be less brains to clean off the walls.  With a 2200fps muzzle velocity, it should be just as effective inside 15 yards as a .223 bullet is at 250 yards, which is extremely lethal.

If you are not interested in a revolver, there are several excellent options available in 22 mag semi auto pistolas.

I agree a 22 mag could be an option.  It's doing more like 1300-1400 fps out of a 4".  A less energy than most 38 special rounds but certainly nothing to just fluff off.

Just now, GRIZ said:

It's doing more like 1300-1400 fps out of a 4".  A less energy than most 38 special rounds but certainly nothing to just fluff off

Good point.  I keep forgetting they test fps out of rifles.  But still, 1400fps is more than enough to put a lot of hurt on a BG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Good point.  I keep forgetting they test fps out of rifles.  But still, 1400fps is more than enough to put a lot of hurt on a BG.

8 minutes ago, WP22 said:

Yep, never met anybody that enjoyed getting shot with a .22.

Bill Jordan was a big proponent of the 22 Magnum when it came out and felt it would replace the 38 special as an off duty or backup gun.